Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #81
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: blind 10 spot review(s)

Haaa haaa....my palate is more refined than Andy's!
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #82
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #83
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Well to be honest he did hint that it MAY not be a reyes family cigar. I dont think he was way off on that #5 review... And if you want to really be picky, taking the review of your Pepin into consideration, I think this tie you both up if anything! hehehe Andy was more basing his judgment wether it was a reyes or not based on if it was good... He just didnt take into account there are other cigars out there with the same qualities.

Nice reviews guys, I really enjoyed reading them.
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #84
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Cigar #6

Construction: 5x50 medium/light brown wrapper

Pre-Light: Smooth draw with hints of cedar.

1st Third: The aroma is pleasant upon lighting. Cocoa flavor appears briefly then dissapates. Cedar is also present. A slight citrus flavor is now detectable. Cedar and citrus: not a bad combination. Citrus is now the dominant flavor. A little bit of spice is detectable through the nose.

2nd Third: Still very citrusy. Flavor has remained very consistent.

Final Third: Citrus is still strong.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this stick, even though it wasn't very complex (which isn't always bad in my book). Citrus is a flavor that isn't very prevalent in many cigars that I smoke, so it was nice to have for a change.
There is no way that this is a Reyes product.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #85
EEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Cigar #6

There is no way that this is a Reyes product.
Andy - Your #1 & #6 are the exact same cigar, from the same box --

#6 - Puros Indios Nat

yes, I'm serious
Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #86
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post

#6 - Puros Indios Nat

yes, I'm serious
There is no way. No hay or grass or wet hay at all in this stick. Maybe it was a miracle that this one was good.

Edit: I went back and compared the pics of #1 and #6. They look the same.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #87
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

#6 - Puros Indios Nat

yes, I'm serious
Now that, is fun. Nice twist EEE
Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #88
Aldebaran

I like this it really shows how much a label can influence our taste or how much our palette changes day to day.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #89
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

HAHAHHAAHA, EEE, you sneaky bastard... brilliant... rep coming your way sir. (need to rep other before more rep can be given to EEE).
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #90
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
I like this it really shows how much a label can influence our taste or how much our palette changes day to day.
My palate does change depending on what time it is, what I'm pairing a cigar with, and many other factors contribute to this. But that was a very drastic change between two of the exact same cigar. My palate influenced the difference some, but I'm chalking this one up as inconsitency by the manufacturer.

I'd love to have another cigar like cigar #6, but if I buy a box of those things and 19 out of the 20 (hell, even 10 out of the 20) taste like cigar #1, then I don't want them. So far I'm hitting .500 with the Puros Indios Natural. I think I might buy a fiver down the line and see if the majority of them taste like hay and grass, or if they taste citrusy like the last one I smoked.

Eric, you've got my attention and I'm gonna research this one come payday.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #91
EEE

Andy... Don't buy anything yet. Wait until this is complete and if your still this interested I can hook you up.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #92
EEE

What is rep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
HAHAHHAAHA, EEE, you sneaky bastard... brilliant... rep coming your way sir. (need to rep other before more rep can be given to EEE).
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #93
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

The little smoke ring represent your reputation.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #94
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
The little smoke ring represent your reputation.
Click on User CP at the upper left to see your reputation. You've got some!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #95
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #7

Construction: 6x52 medium brown wrapper, squared off foot

Pre-light Draw: smooth with hints of cedar

1st Third: Upon lighting I immediately taste a dry grassy flavor, mixed with ammonia. Ammonia is gone. Not a whole lot of flavor going on, but I taste a little citrus. Citrus is gone. I now detect vanilla. Some spice through the nose.

2nd Third: This cigar has lost its flavor; nothing but straight tobacco. There is some nice spice through the nose. A nuttiness is also detectable through the nose.

Final Third: Not getting much out of this cigar at all. Kind of tasteless at this point.

Final Thoughts: This cigar was sub-par. It had its moments where it was ok, but it was pretty mild and bland. I smoked this one after dinner on a full stomach (when I’d normally smoke a strong stick), so maybe I didn’t give it a fair shake. I did like the spice through the nose, but for the most part this was lacking on flavor.

I couldn’t tell you if it was a Reyes stick, but I’m not a fan of this stick at this point.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 AM   #96
EEE

Andy #7 - La Gloria Cubana.

And you have caught up to Mark.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #97
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Andy #7 - La Gloria Cubana.

And you have caught up to Mark.
Makes sense. I'm not a big fan of the LGC naturals, but I do love the maduros.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #98
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #8

Construction: 5x54 dark brown wrapper
The cigar looks like it has been dried out and rehumidified. The foot has expanded and is starting to crack. The wrapper is very brittle.

Pre-Light: smooth draw, cedar flavor

1st Third: Upon lighting I detect both a grassiness and coffee flavors. Coffee and sweetness are now dominant; the grassiness is gone. The burn on this cigar is horrible; I've had to make three corrections in the first two inches alone. The flavor is great, however.

2nd Third: The cigar reminds me of a Mayorga maduro; great on flavor, but horrible burn. It still has a coffee/cocoa, sweet flavor. I really enjoy the flavor, but the burn is annoying. I discovered that the wrapper has been dyed. It's getting sticky and my fingertips are turning brown. Flavor is still good though.

Final Third: I barely got into the last third before I put it out. My fingers are very sticky and brown, and the burn is too annoying to keep touching up. I liked the flavor, but the construction and dye forced me to put it down.

Final Thoughts: This cigar could have had potential, but the dyed wrapper and burn issues ruined the cigar. I did enjoy the coffee and sweet flavors it produced, but it wasn't worth putting up with the nasty, sticky, brown residue all over my fingers. I greatly enjoyed this cigar until the dye got in my way. I would say that this is not a Reyes cigar because of the flavor, but it may be Reyes due to the construction. I do not know if Reyes dyes their maduro wrapper or not.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #99
EEE

Andy #8 - Reyes Family Premier...

I don't know what happen with your stick here. I've smoked a good two dozen of these and haven't had the severe burn issues and never had the discoloring on the hands. I can't speak on the topic of this company dying the leaves as I don't work for them. What I can say is that I have met and had many conversations with guys at Reyes and am under the impression that they don't do this practice. I am absolutely serious when I say that I will find out what they do.... If they dye them I won't hesitate to let everyone know.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #100
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Andy #8 - Reyes Family Premier...

I don't know what happen with your stick here. I've smoked a good two dozen of these and haven't had the severe burn issues and never had the discoloring on the hands. I can't speak on the topic of this company dying the leaves as I don't work for them. What I can say is that I have met and had many conversations with guys at Reyes and am under the impression that they don't do this practice. I am absolutely serious when I say that I will find out what they do.... If they dye them I won't hesitate to let everyone know.
It was definitely a dye job on this stick. I'm not against dying wrappers like some people are here. I love the Indian Tabac SF maduro (which has a dyed wrapper), but I've never had the dye come off on my fingers like that. Maybe they left the wrapper in the dye way too long for this stick.

BTW, I've had 2 1/2 Reyes sticks that have had a good flavor profile. So props to Eric on that side.

Insert quote here.