Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Kauai or Maui
Kauai 19 51.35%
Maui 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #21
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kauai or Maui?

One more thing....

Whichever island you choose, I highly recommend taking the 1 day trip to Oahu and go to Pearl Harbor. Another high-light of my trip that I will never forget. They try to have a one of the survivors there everyday greeting the visitors at the entrance.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #22
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Go snorkeling in a little place unknown to many called Honolua Bay (past Kapalua). There is no place to park except along the road & no signs. Its a 1/4 mile trek thru natural forest that looks as though time stood still in the Jurassic era. It opens up to this:

Other fun things to do on Maui:

Take a casual stroll thru Wailuku. Its like time stood still and its still in the 1950's. Then take a short drive to Iao Valley and see the natual beauty there.

Bike ride down the Haleakala Crater road.

Go to Makawao to eat creampuffs from the famous Komoda Bakery (family owned since 1916)

In Kahului at the Maui Mall, have some sherbet they call "guri guri" at Tasaka's Guri Guri. Its legendary and only available there (family owned since the 1920's).

Go shopping along the boardwalk in old Lahaina.

Ask any of the locals about a hidden spot called "Twin Falls".
This is making me want to go back to Maui.
The fishing is great off Maui, not that I caught anything, but the water is very calm for those who get sea sick.

The last time I went, for my honeymoon, my wife and I lived it up at the Grand Wailea. But the first time we stayed in a hostel in Kahului with some friends. The great thing is you can either live the life, or go on a budget and have fun either way.

Of course the week I got back, my laptop and camera were stolen. So I have no photo's from my honeymoon.

May just have to go back!
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #23
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

I voted Maui because that's the only place I've seen in Hawaii other than Honolulu (and all around the island) where I used to visit for work pretty regularly. Check out the north shore for big-wave surfing if the curl is curling high. Bring binoculars and a large thermos full of Mai Tai.

Lunch, fresh fish dinner and cocktails at Kimo's is hard to beat; see Iao Park and the famous Iao Needle. Take time to get away from the beach/resort scene and ease around the jungle a bit. You need wheels. Too cool. Maui is a beautiful place but it's only a tourist trap/resort-without-culture thing if you never get past the Sheraton parking lot.

http://www.kimosmaui.com/
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/s...tate_park.html
Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
Prozac_Puros
Non-Medicated

First Name: Cary
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Prozac_Puros will become famous soon enoughProzac_Puros will become famous soon enough

The wife and I took a 10 day trip to Maui, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The list of things you can do is endless. We took the boat over to Lanai and ended up staying one night there. Golf, nice beaches and nowhere to go, we loved it. When we go back, We will stay on Lanai.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #25
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Never been to Kauai, but I think I would be bored. Visited Oahu, Maui and the Big Island on my honeymoon, and we are going back to Maui for our 5th anniversary this October. There is so much to do in Maui its ridiculous. We stayed at the Four Seasons Maui in Wailea, which I liked so much better than Kaanapali, which is where a lot of the touristy stuff is.

A few of the many things we did in Maui:
Drove up a volcano to watch the sunrise- magnificent
Drove the road to Hana- an adventure
Hiked to the most beautiful waterfall Ive ever seen
Snorkeled at the "fishbowl" a protected cove and it was like swimming in an aquarium
Hiked across lava fields
Relaxed at the beach
Shopped
Ate at some FANTASTIC restaurants.
and also some other "honeymoon" type activities!

I strongly suggest you pick up Maui Revealed www.wizardpub.com, or any of the "revealed" books... they are written by residents, so they give some great tips, secret spots and resturants... and they are usually spot on

Have fun
oops, this should have been Wailea, sorry! Should have doublechecked my post.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #26
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Never been to Kauai, but I think I would be bored.
How do you know if you've never been? Really the only thing Kauai lacks is the opportunity to go out clubbing/bar hopping. Personally, I would rather have a late dinner and then hang out by the beach with a drink and a cigar anyway.

I also stayed at the 4 Seasons in Maui. It was a beautiful hotel with a great beach. Also, the best breakfast buffet I've ever visited.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #27
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I was just on both islands back in late August/early September for my honeymoon. I strongly preferred Kauai. It's much less developed and much more green. If I wanted to go somewhere with beaches and t-shirt shops on every corner I don't have to go all the way to Maui. I can save a few bucks and just go to Cape Cod.

The best hotel in Kauai in my opinion is the Hyatt in Poipu. It's on the dry (as opposed to rainy) side of the island and there are TONS of great restaurants in Poipu. I highly suggest The Beach House for dinner one night if you need to bring your lady to a romantic spot. Make sure you make a reservation and ask for a seating during sunset (maybe 6 PM). It's a bit early for dinner on vacation to do that but you can't beat the view.
I agree with everything Mike's said here. And I'm actually surprised to see y'all fairly evenly split on the whole Maui / Kauai thing but I think it might be becuase more people have actually been to Maui than Kauai and I'm not exactly sure why.

We've been to both several times (and Oahu, the Big Island and Lanai) and my favorite Hawaiian island is Kauai hands-down as somebody said here. It's what you think of when you think of tropical paradise. Maui has a part that's tropical paradise (Hana) and I make mrsreindeer put up with the drive there every single time we visit. Most do not because it's such a long drive. And it ain't about the destination because there ain't nothin' in Hana except for a handful of places to stay. It's about the DRIVE and the scenery along the way. And most people avoid the drive and hate it. Again, I'm not sure why. It's beautiful and pretty much the only paradise-like part on the island (with the only runner-up being the way north past Kapalua, past that beach Kelly mentioned...which is an awesome beach and great snorkeling spot).

The Hyatt in Kauai is a great hotel but you definitely need to know it's in the more dry part of the island as Mike mentioned. It's beautiful and the Beach House is just down the road and not to be missed. It's nice being in Poipu because it's pretty much half-way between the lush north & Waimea Canyon (the Grand Canyon of Hawaiii and not to be missed).

There is a hotel in the north that's quite fancy and nice (but also expensive) called the Princeville and if you want to be in the more tropical part of the island, this is the place to be, just south of beautiful Hanalei and those awesome beaches to the north, the last of which is where the road ends and that Napali coastline hike begins (we did about an hour of it and we almost lost mrsreindeer....no joke...just be careful where you step).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
I spent a week in both on my Honeymoon, I give a slight edge to Maui for the nightlife. I would take Kauai in the daytime, but definately Maui at night.

We went to Maui first to have a week of partying, then we went to Kauai to have a week of relaxing!
Yeah, I'd agree there too...but if you're looking to party, Oahu is the way to go, I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
Maui is nice with great beaches and shopping, but Kauai is more laid back and tropical. I'll always go with laid back and tropical.

Quote:
I strongly suggest you pick up Maui Revealed www.wizardpub.com, or any of the "revealed" books... they are written by residents, so they give some great tips, secret spots and resturants... and they are usually spot on
Moe is ABSOLUTELY right....I use these books as my bibles when visiting Hawaii. They put out a book for almost every island and they're written by locals (as Moe said) and are amazing. Heck, if you want, I can loan you my copies but they're a few years old.

Gosh, I want to go so bad... I don't think you'll regret choosing either island. There's certainly plenty to do on both. I don't think you'd get bored in Kauai....plenty of hiking, sightseeing, exploring to do. Just like in Maui. Maui, I think, is more like the Florida of the Hawaiian union. Beach resorts, lots of people, lots of shopping...certainly some good spots for sure (and it's mrsreindeer's favorite island) and excellent sight-seeing in its own right but Kauai is paradise, in my opinion. I hope they don't f' it up by building up and making it more commercial.

If you need any tips on either, I'd be happy to help. Friends of ours just went to Maui and I shot 'em a lengthy email with our favorite spots. I can forward it on to you if you like or I can shoot you one about Kauai.

Man, I'm just remembering a place in Waimea in Kauai called Shrimp Station; anyone ever been? That place is SICK! Like a dozen different preparations of shrimp...so freakin' good. I've even called them to ask if they'd ship and unfortunately they won't. I guess I have to go back.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #28
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
How do you know if you've never been? Really the only thing Kauai lacks is the opportunity to go out clubbing/bar hopping. Personally, I would rather have a late dinner and then hang out by the beach with a drink and a cigar anyway.
I agree with Mikey here Moe....but you know, if you're looking to hit the bars, Kauai certainly has a few, they're just not huge party bars...man, Zelo's in Hanalei is an awesome spot in the north!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #29
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I've never been to either but it has been my dream to visit Kauai!!! It is the location of so many great movies!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #30
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post

Man, I'm just remembering a place in Waimea in Kauai called Shrimp Station; anyone ever been? That place is SICK! Like a dozen different preparations of shrimp...so freakin' good. I've even called them to ask if they'd ship and unfortunately they won't. I guess I have to go back.
I was there. Great shrimp, indeed! Second only to Giovanni's Shrimp Van on the north sore of Oahu!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #31
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
I was there. Great shrimp, indeed! Second only to Giovanni's Shrimp Van on the north sore of Oahu!
MAN, so good, so good!! mrsreindeer had one plate (and she doesn't eat shrimp) and I ordered THREE....Thai, Cajun & I forget the 3rd...
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #32
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
MAN, so good, so good!! mrsreindeer had one plate (and she doesn't eat shrimp) and I ordered THREE....Thai, Cajun & I forget the 3rd...
After seeing one of the waterfalls from the canyon overlook, my wife and I decided to take the 2 mile walk to the waterfall. We didn't eat that morning and ran out of water on the way to the falls. We figured we'd fill up there. Sure enough, we got to the falls and there were danger signs all over about no drinking the water. I completely panicked and felt like cr%p.

The Shrimp Station was our first stop when we got out of there. I could swear I heard angels singing when we pulled up!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #33
mrreindeer

Quote:
After seeing one of the waterfalls from the canyon overlook, my wife and I decided to take the 2 mile walk to the waterfall. We didn't eat that morning and ran out of water on the way to the falls. We figured we'd fill up there. Sure enough, we got to the falls and there were danger signs all over about no drinking the water. I completely panicked and felt like cr%p.

The Shrimp Station was our first stop when we got out of there. I could swear I heard angels singing when we pulled up!
Oh man, you didn't read your 'Kauai Revealed' guidebook...always take PLENTY of water (and shrimp) with you on every hike! I think we did that hike too...it was the first 'hike' you get to once you hit Waimea Canyon...was about 2 miles...first part was through some forest...second part was along some exposed red dirt & boulders on the outer edge of the canyon and ended up at some pools, one of which was the top of the waterfall if I'm remembering correctly...just watch that edge!

Didja hit Jo-Jo's Shave Ice after Shrimp Station?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #34
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Oh man, you didn't read your 'Kauai Revealed' guidebook...always take PLENTY of water (and shrimp) with you on every hike! I think we did that hike too...it was the first 'hike' you get to once you hit Waimea Canyon...was about 2 miles...first part was through some forest...second part was along some exposed boulders and ended up at some pools, one of which was the top of the waterfall if I'm remembering correctly...just watch that edge!

Didja hit Jo-Jo's Shave Ice after Shrimp Station?
That's the hike! Downhill all the way there uphill all the way back! One think I've learned about Hawaii is that there is a beware sign when you enter the country, besides that, you're on your own.

No shave ice for me. We did pick up some great granola at a place that was right across from the Shrimp Station. And I'm not really a granola guy!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #35
mrreindeer

Quote:
That's the hike! Downhill all the way there uphill all the way back! One think I've learned about Hawaii is that there is a beware sign when you enter the country, besides that, you're on your own.
Yep! And yep, that's it! mrsreindeer was fightin' me all the way...but damn it, the view of the canyon from that waterfall pool was incredible!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #36
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I agree with everything Mike's said here. And I'm actually surprised to see y'all fairly evenly split on the whole Maui / Kauai thing but I think it might be becuase more people have actually been to Maui than Kauai and I'm not exactly sure why.
I'm guessing a lot of people who have only been to Maui are chiming in. If you've only ever been to Maui I guess it seems like a great place, but IMO and I'm guessing yours too Kauai blows it away.

Quote:
The Hyatt in Kauai is a great hotel but you definitely need to know it's in the more dry part of the island as Mike mentioned. It's beautiful and the Beach House is just down the road and not to be missed. It's nice being in Poipu because it's pretty much half-way between the lush north & Waimea Canyon (the Grand Canyon of Hawaiii and not to be missed).

There is a hotel in the north that's quite fancy and nice (but also expensive) called the Princeville and if you want to be in the more tropical part of the island, this is the place to be, just south of beautiful Hanalei and those awesome beaches to the north, the last of which is where the road ends and that Napali coastline hike begins (we did about an hour of it and we almost lost mrsreindeer....no joke...just be careful where you step).

The north side of Kauai is the rainy side of the island. So, if you stay there expect a brief rain shower almost daily. It's actually one of the rainiest places in the world. The south side of the island is picture perfect weather everyday.

Princeville is nice, but I understand they're closed for rennovations (at least the hotel is) for the next year so that they can increase their rating by 1 star to 5 stars. I HIGHLY recommend if you are a golfer though that you visit their golf course. It's beautiful and challenging. The starter told me to expect to lose one ball for every stroke of my handicap. I didn't quite lose that many but it was a tough track. Also, if you're into golf do the "Kauai Golf Challenge." You can sign up at the Marriot Kauai Lagoons, Poipu Bay, or Princeville golf courses. Basically you get to play all three courses for the price of two and you also get a pro-shop discount.

If you end up going to Kauai shoot me a PM. I've got TONS of amazing restaurants I can recommend. I also know a few good ones in Maui.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #37
ChicagoWhiteSox

almost dead even vote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #38
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
No shave ice for me. We did pick up some great granola at a place that was right across from the Shrimp Station. And I'm not really a granola guy!
Shave ice with vanilla ice cream is probably one of the greatest frozen concoctions known to man.

we hit up one shack on the road to Hana (recommended in Maui revealed) that I can still taste... I wish I could bottle that chit and take it home with me!!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #39
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Neither. Go to the Big Island and stay on the Kona side. There is soo much to do (or not do) on that island. In one you could be walking on lava, horse back riding in the hills, snorkling off the beach, walking through a tropical forrest, drinking Kona coffee with the growers, etc., etc. I love the Big Island!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #40
BC-Axeman

Been to both, loved both. I tended to like Maui a little better because there's more to do, but Kauai is less touristy.
I say do both.