Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
ahc4353

Default Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

I had a thread on CS about Sleep Apnea and it seemed to help a few guys get a better understanding of what it is and the risks involved by avoiding treatment.

I wanted to start one here if anyone has questions or just want to make comments about their progress.

Sooooooo hi, my name is Al and I have sleep apnea.
I think I had it for years prior to being diagnosed about 6 or 7 years ago. What a life changing thing for the better knowing and treating this affliction. No more snoring, feel rested and more energy.

Always here or PM if I can help. Getting this treated can save your life.

All the best,
Al
Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

Hello my name is Ryan and I have sleep apnea.

I have the machine but I never use it. I was unable to get a comfortable feeling for the mask. When I was in EMS and sleeping on the couch during the day my fellow crew members use to keep track of the time between breaths. I think I would average 1 breath ever 30 seconds and maxed out at 1 every 50 seconds. During my sleep study my O2 sats were in the low 80's. Not very good.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Hello my name is Ryan and I have sleep apnea.

I have the machine but I never use it. I was unable to get a comfortable feeling for the mask. When I was in EMS and sleeping on the couch during the day my fellow crew members use to keep track of the time between breaths. I think I would average 1 breath ever 30 seconds and maxed out at 1 every 50 seconds. During my sleep study my O2 sats were in the low 80's. Not very good.
You sleep on your back or side? How many different style masks have you tried?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
You sleep on your back or side? How many different style masks have you tried?
I usually sleep on my stomach & side. I tried the nose pillow during the sleep study but that was a disaster. Then I moved to the full face mask and could never get to sleep on my back and when I would wake up in the early morning in that dazed state I would start to have clausterphobia still being partially asleep and not being able to get the mask off. The only reason I did the sleep study was for the ex-gf and now that she is gone there is no reason to worry about it.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

My father in law has sleep apnea really bad, but refuses to get a sleep study and wear any type of mask while sleeping. He has it so bad, he falls asleep and snores mid sentence. Then wakes himself up when he begins to shake and gasp for air.
I am still determined to force him to go to the Dr.

*I work for a medical equipment supplier and a majority of our business is CPAP equipment.
If anyone has any questions about masks, machines, supplies....let me know.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

My name is Pete and I have sleep apnea.

I'm sure I had it for years before I was diagnosed about 2 years ago. My ex-wife bugged me for quite some time to get tested. I never did until after we split and my mom said something to me when I stayed at her house the following christmas.

Been using CPAP with nose pillows every night since I got it. Gotta say, it's made a HUGE difference in every aspect of my life. Feeling more rested, my head has been much clearer, I have more energy, so I have been able to exercise, lost about 40 lbs. In general, my quality of life is worlds better than it was before. And that is not just due to no longer being with my ex, though that definitely helps
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Cyanide

Wow, running sats that low are not good for you, especially over the long haul. You are kind of leading a path towards stiffening the blood vessels in your lungs (pulmonary hypertension). That isn't all that bad in and of itself (at least to the extent it occurs in OSA) but it does lead to an increased risk of right heart failure. The OSA is probably also dramatically increasing your average blood pressure.

If you can't tolerate the BiPAP or CPAP machines, maybe there are surgical options available (such as cutting out the uvula and part of the soft palate of the posterior mouth cavity)?

I personally alleviated my OSA issue by dropping 30 lbs, but that was my solution...and may not be a part of your issue or solution.

Cheers

John
Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I usually sleep on my stomach & side. I tried the nose pillow during the sleep study but that was a disaster. Then I moved to the full face mask and could never get to sleep on my back and when I would wake up in the early morning in that dazed state I would start to have clausterphobia still being partially asleep and not being able to get the mask off. The only reason I did the sleep study was for the ex-gf and now that she is gone there is no reason to worry about it.
you understand the risks associated with untreated apnea? It's not just about snoring. That is the symptom most associated with it, but not even the primary effect.

BTW, you might want to check into what mask they actually had you use during the sleep study. Mine was a triangle mask that covered most of my nose and between my eyes and made me feel pretty claustrophobic. The nose pillow is pretty small and unobtrusive and very different from the study mask. http://www.mysleepapnea.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=464 is what I have - I got it through my DME supplier just by asking for a different mask. I am also a side/stomach sleeper as well as having a goatee (facial hair is a problem with some masks) and this works great for me.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

My name is Gerard and I might have sleep apnea.

In all likelihood I do. I'm scheduled for a split study in a few weeks. I've been plagued with snoring & apnea events for years, and finally decided to do something about it. Had a consult last week. I have to say, my wife is extremely pleased that I'm finally doing something--I think she is affected by it more than me!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

My name is Brent and I have sleep apnea.

I definitely had it for several years but didn't really know anything about it. Then a couple of years ago my BBQ competition partner got a CPAP. He absolutely swore by it and bugged my until I went and got a sleep study. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but I was waking myself an average of something like 150 times an hour.

The hardest thing for me was getting used to sleeping on my back as I was always a stomach sleeper. My wife got me a Temperpedic (sp) pillow that has this ridge for your neck/head and that made a big difference. I feel so much better, have so much more energy, and my blood pressure is down considerably.

I will not ever sleep without one... it just isn't worth it.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

My name is Ferdinand and I have severe sleep apnea.

I use a cpap machine that helps me a lot.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

My name is Tripp, and I too think i might have sleep apnea.

For all of my adult life, I"ve had low energy problems, and have trouble even staying up late. I'm only 25, am in good shape, and usually hit the sack around 11, even on weekends, and have a hard time staying up too much later. My girlfriend had told me that I tend to "hold my breath" for up to a few minutes when sleeping, which is what tipped me off that I might have sleep apnea. I'm planning on seeing a doctor about it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
My name is Tripp, and I too think i might have sleep apnea.

For all of my adult life, I"ve had low energy problems, and have trouble even staying up late. I'm only 25, am in good shape, and usually hit the sack around 11, even on weekends, and have a hard time staying up too much later. My girlfriend had told me that I tend to "hold my breath" for up to a few minutes when sleeping, which is what tipped me off that I might have sleep apnea. I'm planning on seeing a doctor about it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Classic symptoms Tripp. Please do yourself and your loved ones a favor and schedule a sleep test.

Keep us posted please.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

don't wait Tripp.

Sure, the first couple of weeks you'll have some problems adjusting to sleeping with a mask, but after that your energy levels will increase and life will get so much more enjoyable.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

My name is Tom and I have sleep apnea.

Diagnosed 4+ years ago, I had the somnoplasty (surgery) twice, and it improved my condition but did not cure it. Had the option for a 3rd surgery, and declined based on the horrible after effects of surgery #2.

May go the the mask at some point, but my symptoms and blood pressure are much improved so I won't be doing it any time soon.

Brent, I would love a link to the pillow you speak of when you get a chance.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

my doctor (and my own internet research) advised me not to go with surgery as the chance the symptoms would go away are not high and would be only temporarily. That's why I went with the respironics cpap.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

I have sleep apnea and have been using the cpap for about a year.

Adjusting to the mask has really not been a problem and I am so much more alert and full of energy.

What prompted me was going to the funeral of a 38 year-old guy who was pretty healthy overall... that died of sleep apnea. Made my appointment within a month. No looking back...
Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

i must admit, the first couple of years I wasn't using my cpap regularly, used it for weeks, then used it not for weeks untill Al posted the topic on CS. I posted my irregular use and a few botl's, including Al and Conch, told/begged me not to play Russian roulette with my life. Been using my cpap ever since and I will even bring it with my on my US trip next month.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
my doctor (and my own internet research) advised me not to go with surgery as the chance the symptoms would go away are not high and would be only temporarily. That's why I went with the respironics cpap.
True, the surgeon advised me the surgery only has a 60% success rate...not great odds. I was lucky enough to have my apnea reduced significantly, at least for the last 4 years.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
ahc4353

I used to have the mask that only covered the nose. Then I turned into a "mouth breather" so I went to the full mask. I really don't mind it however with a goat I do have air leak issues that I wished I didn't have. If anyone knows of a full face mask that works well with a goat please provide link.

Just got my new bi-pap machine. Very nice and much more quiet than the old model.

Happy breathing everyone!