Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about
Default Going away...What do I do with my cigars?

Hey all, so I found out that I will be doing a six week cruise along the Atlantic Coast this summer (quite exciting!). Unfortunately, I can only take what can fit in my seabag, and unfortunately, a 150 count humidor probably isn't one of those things... Anyways, I'm going to have to leave my humidor on base where the temp can fluctuate between 60 and 75 degrees indoors. Any suggestions of what to do to keep my stash safe for six weeks???
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Going away...What do I do with my cigars?

If it was me, I'd unload all my sticks into ziploc bags...5 fingers if you can get them and pack them in the sea bag. Leave the bulky box and smoke the sticks!

Alternately, you can see if a local b & m rents locker space. Worth looking in to.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

What about taking the sticks in 5 finger bags and using an ammo can as a humidor at sea? It won't require seasoning and you can use Boveda packets for humidification.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
If it was me, I'd unload all my sticks into ziploc bags...5 fingers if you can get them and pack them in the sea bag. Leave the bulky box and smoke the sticks!

Alternately, you can see if a local b & m rents locker space. Worth looking in to.
You beat me to the other idea but a B&M locker, that's a great idea!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

send them to me, I'll watch them............
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR1205 View Post
Hey all, so I found out that I will be doing a six week cruise along the Atlantic Coast this summer (quite exciting!). Unfortunately, I can only take what can fit in my seabag, and unfortunately, a 150 count humidor probably isn't one of those things... Anyways, I'm going to have to leave my humidor on base where the temp can fluctuate between 60 and 75 degrees indoors. Any suggestions of what to do to keep my stash safe for six weeks???
Temps between 60-75 degress will not harm your cigars. So as long as theft is not an issue for you, your cigars should be fine.

You can also pack your cigars in Ziploc bags (no need for any humidification) and take them with you on your cruise. Pack them in your carry-on in such a way that they won't be crushed and enjoy! if you cannot pack them without crushing them then place the Ziploc bags inside a larger bag and carry that bag on buy itself and just hold it instead of putting it in the overhead storage bin.

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
send them to me, I'll watch them............
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Temps between 60-75 degress will not harm your cigars. So as long as theft is not an issue for you, your cigars should be fine.

You can also pack your cigars in Ziploc bags (no need for any humidification) and take them with you on your cruise. Pack them in your carry-on in such a way that they won't be crushed and enjoy! if you cannot pack them without crushing them then place the Ziploc bags inside a larger bag and carry that bag on buy itself and just hold it instead of putting it in the overhead storage bin.

Just my
If the cigars are in a humidor that seals well, they should be fine for 6 weeks if unopened. If you are using beads, you might even consider putting the entire humidor into a well sealing cooler to prevent additional humidity loss.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
If the cigars are in a humidor that seals well, they should be fine for 6 weeks if unopened. If you are using beads, you might even consider putting the entire humidor into a well sealing cooler to prevent additional humidity loss.
Yep.......
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks all! looks like im going to compromise... Keep some here and seal them well...and bring the rest with proper humidification! I'll probably make friends with the crew really quick...
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote