Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
REV
Still Watching My Back

First Name: David
Trading: (1)
REV is on a distinguished road
Default No.9 Lineage?

ok, so ive been hearing all about the fabled liga privada No.9's but i havent had a chance to get my hands on any. i have had about 1/2" of an undercrown before a 2 year old smashed it.

so i was wondering, does the "family tree" of sorts go:

LP No.9
LP T52
Undercrown?

or is it more that the LP T52 more of a creepy uncle to the undercrown? im trying to find out if i can get the t52's, how much better than the UC they are while still falling short of the No.9's
REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No.9 Lineage?

From my understanding, the Undercrown is a milder reincarnation of the LP No. 9. I know for sure it has a different wrapper. Not quite sure about the binder and filler.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
REV
Still Watching My Back

First Name: David
REV is on a distinguished road

yeah, thats what i got too. just trying to figure where the t52 fit in. not sure if ill like its flavor profile from what ive read, but man i cant wait to get my hands on one. or 6. once money gets freed up i know im going to seek out the elusive no.9
REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Haven't had the t52 but undercrown is my favorite smoke, personally I prefer it to the no. 9. The story goes that the factory workers were smoking up all the LPs and DE Told em to knock it off so the workers came up with undercrown. Sounds like marketing to me but who knows, might be true.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Of the three the T52 is my favorite by far. The others, and the rest of the liga line, are all solid smokes in my opinion, but the only way you'll know if you like em is to smoke a couple.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Some people like the T52 more than the LP9, I prefer the LP9 but the FFP and the L40 are even better. I am not a huge fan of the Undercrown, 1 out of the 4 I have tried was good. You can't really make a universal ranking for these products as everybody has different tastes. Grab whatever you can and smoke it, make up your own list. There are even more HTF LPs out there as well, like the 9pigs and T52pigs and the A and the Dirty Rat and...

If I had to make my own personal rank of the LPs I have had it would look like this:

L40 (Only smoked one and it was amazing)
FFP (Only smoked one and it was amazing)
LP#9 (Only smoked two, one was amazing)
T52 (Only smoked one and it was really good)
Undercrown (Smoked four and one was good)

I have every intention of smoking more of all these!
I am pretty sure the amazing LP9 I smoked had a year or two on it and the other was ROTT.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Heck, JD pops in here every once in a while....be kinda nice to get the story right from the source.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about

Here are all of the lines of the Liga Privada that someone could possibly get (i.e. not just made for the crew in Nica). Please note: Undercrown is NOT a Liga Privada blend, so is not on this list, but it IS made by the same people, and with some of the same tobacco as Liga Privada)...

LP #9
T52
Flying Pig #9
Flying Pig T52
Feral Flying Pig
Dirty Rat
L40
UF-13 (sometimes called MF-13...These are basically handed out a some events by JD, Saka or Marvin)
UF-4 (Sometimes called MF-4 or the JD-4, or even the Saka MF-4)...These have been handed out at events and there was a sale of some bundles of them at Casa de Montecristo late last year).
LP "A" (These are event cigars, given out in boxes of 2 when you buy a box of LP at certain events)
Ratzilla (This was a stick that is supposed to go into production this year, some early samples were handed out at events last year)

There are MANY MANY different blends, preproduction sticks, cigars made for certain people/events, etc, but most of those have less than 100 or so made, and some have as few as 10 made...

For example, there was a "Unico Piglet" made, here is the quote from Saka about it: "very small batch production of an uber-peppery smaller format perfecto. I distributed a few at the annual LP evening I do every March at Top Shelf in Dover, NH. It happens to be the store where my college age son works. I found it too harsh, it lacked finesse imo, so I never had anymore made, nor have we worked on improving the blend... I can't imagine I have given out more than a hundred of these."

(and I am probably forgetting one!)

Hope that helps!

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
kuzi16
the one and only

SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

i find it interesting that the undercrown is considered to not be a part of the LP line yet it uses tobacco from both the T52 and the No.9 AND it also has the trademark Griffin of the LP line.

im not sure why this is the case or if it even is the case. i have seen several references that it is not part of the line, but i personally have never seen it in a first hand source. it makes no sense to have it be a separate line all together.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

The Undercrown is called Liga Undercrown however it is not in the Unico series. But I guess the OP doesn't say it has to be Liga Privada, just part of the family.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 02-29-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
qsalinas
Like a-some-BoooooooDeee

First Name: Enrique
Montecristo
qsalinas is on a distinguished road

IMHO...
1. FFP
2. L40
3. T52
4. No.9
5. UC
Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

FFP then T52 then No.9 for me.

I have one UF-13 but can't decide whether or not I should smoke it or leave it to my second son as his portion of the inheritance.
the jiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

1) FFP
2) T-52
3) Dirty Rat
4) No. 9
5) UC

I haven't had the chance to try a L40 yet
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Jonathan Drew
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Jonathan Drew is on a distinguished road

Brothers.

This is a Thread that I am going to address. Brooks did a great job in clarifying the LIGA PRIVADA Line-up, including:

Liga Privada No.9;
Liga Privada T52;
Liga Privada Unico Serie; and
Liga Privada "New/Experimental" Blends.

However, as SEVANS105 suggested, I would it would be my pleasure to address the posts of:
EMJAYSMASH
KUZI 16

I am about to leave the factory now in Esteli and head to Managua to pick up the next Cigar Safari Group. The OULAW CIGAR CO. fellaz just left to Managua.

Hopefully, tonight I will be able to do it after we finish dinner and the cigar lounge in Managua. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak directly with you guys. I have been reading many of the posts, DE or not, and its such a solid board. So much thanks to Murphyslaw, Lenguamor, Manny, Ferdidnand Piet, Podman.com, and the other brothers who I met at Cuban Crafters who introduced me and asked me to join. I appreciate the love.

Sincerely,
JD
Jonathan Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

I would have to say...for me but to each his own

LP9
L40
FFP
T52
Undercrown
Dirty Rat

(My top three always rotate)
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Awesome, we appreciate the insight JD! I look forward to seeing what you have to say! Thanks man!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Jonathan Drew
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Jonathan Drew is on a distinguished road

JenksAnejo. Thanks my friend.

Also, I am hoping that one of the Asylum Fellaz hit me back on my email or cel about the 'BLUE COLLAR BEER & BOURBON HERF" that we have lined up for Miami.

I believe that the date is set, and the venue, and the pairing of Ligas and UC's, and all that. I really need that 411. I can't find it for some reason.

Alright, I have to bug out of here ahorita, or Ima miss the fellaz for the Lunch at the Volcano. Adios till tonight.

Best,
JD
Jonathan Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
From my understanding, the Undercrown is a milder reincarnation of the LP No. 9. I know for sure it has a different wrapper. Not quite sure about the binder and filler.
I believe the binder and filler are lower primings of what is used for the T-52 with a San Andreas wrapper.
I'm a T-52 guy through and through but the debate on which is better between the 9 and 52 always seems to be 50/50 with most guys I know. I am pretty psyched that the 52s are flowing out of the factory again. I can finally stop rationing out my stash!
JD, any chance of seeing another small release of the UF4? Those things are funking delicious!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drew View Post
JenksAnejo. Thanks my friend.

Also, I am hoping that one of the Asylum Fellaz hit me back on my email or cel about the 'BLUE COLLAR BEER & BOURBON HERF" that we have lined up for Miami.

I believe that the date is set, and the venue, and the pairing of Ligas and UC's, and all that. I really need that 411. I can't find it for some reason.

Alright, I have to bug out of here ahorita, or Ima miss the fellaz for the Lunch at the Volcano. Adios till tonight.

Best,
JD
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53639

That's the thread, Jon.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Quote:
52s are flowing out of the factory again. I can finally stop rationing out my stash!

You and me both brother!!