Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down iPhone Sucks and Apple are Bastards

I have the original iPhone and in January of 2009, it died. I think it was due to surge, but I brought it to the Apple store and they told me either upgrade for $199 or get the original phone (and no new contract) for $199. I choose to stick with the original model as it is already expensive enough and I don’t want an additional $30 a month for 3G.

Fast forward to today. My phone won’t sync with iTunes. I get “Unknown Device” error message in Windows. I tried everything; reinstall iTunes, repair the Mobile Support.msi, Start/Stop Services… Nothing would work. I brought it to the Apple store and they determined it was a device failure. My only options are paying $199 for another original phone or $199 for 3GS with a new contract. He was sympathetic that I just bought this phone and now I have to do it again with 1.5 years. Basically admitted Apple were bastards and that's it.

What BS! I am done with this friggin’ phone and Apple can stuff it. Why people think Apple is so great, I don’t know why. Windows 7 Mobile here I come!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
SouthernSmoke
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Partagas
SouthernSmoke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: iPhone Sucks and Apple are Bastards

If it was within a year of purchasing the most recent phone, they should've replaced it/worked on it/at least looked at it for free. If the device failed with no user damage within one year, it is a part of Apple's warranty to be covered. That said, Apple is almost all hype. They make their money off of replacement parts/replacements when things break. IE: you cannot remove the batteries of iphones/ipads by yourself. the charger plug for an iphone/ipod is $30 and a computer charger is $80. Sorry for your frustration brother.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSmoke View Post
If it was within a year of purchasing the most recent phone, they should've replaced it/worked on it/at least looked at it for free.
They count the warranty from the original purchase, not the replacement purchase. The replacment only has 90 days although I paid all the money for it.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Why people think Apple is so great, I don’t know why.
They pay more and then feel like that have to justify their purchase. If they admitted that they paid more for and equal or lesser product, they would be admitting they got conned.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
SouthernSmoke
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Partagas
SouthernSmoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They count the warranty from the original purchase, not the replacement purchase. The replacment only has 90 days although I paid all the money for it.
I see. I would've viewed the replacement as an upgrade in itself rather than a "replacement". Sucks you got lost in the fine print. I hate that
Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

I did not want to the 3G and new contract. Can't wait to use my girlfriend's Family Plan and get my cell phone bill under $100 again.

$1500+ a year in cell phone service seems excessive. Make any changes to your plan and AT&T takes away any roll over minutes. I am done with both AT&T and Apple.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with Apple. I have had my 3GS for almost a year now and can't imagine having to go through the things you are going through. Thankfully I have not had any problems with mine (knock on wood).

Good luck
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

I'll save the iphone for Europe pre-paid and go with something else. Would like a full size keyboard for texts.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Moses I am sorry to hear about your issues with Apple. I once said I would never leave my $99 unlimited Sprint plan, but I did for the iPhone. No problems so far. Bills are about the same with my 18% discount.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
Moses I am sorry to hear about your issues with Apple. I once said I would never leave my $99 unlimited Sprint plan, but I did for the iPhone. No problems so far. Bills are about the same with my 18% discount.
iPhone is not unique anymore. Everyone has touch screen phones with multiple app's. I want a $70 bill which I think if fair. I worked for companies that gave a 10% AT&T discount, but not the original iPhone. If I moved up for 3g, it's $30 more and there goes the discount...

Just sick of these thieves and iPad is a joke. It's 2010 and they come out with something that Windows 3.1.1. was doing in 1994...
Old 04-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Can you not get insurance with AT&T? (Assuming that is who you are with since it's an Iphone) I know with Verizon I pay about $5 a month for insurance and if the phone gets broken or lost I can replace it with a simple deductible of $50. Hell of a lot cheaper than paying full pop especially when replacing Smart Phones. If I lose my Blackberry $50 will be a lot less painful than $300.
As far as the Iphone, I am a Mac user but refused to get the Iphone and be locked down to AT&T. Had them in the past and hated them plus I heard their service is crappy from all the Iphone users running data heavy apps. I think once Google releases the Nexus on all carriers the Iphone will have a tough competitor to contend with as it sounds like it's going to be a helluva phone.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Moses, it works exactly that way for me, too. Just replace the AT&T with Verizon and the iphone with any number of crap Verizon phones I had, and we could be twins.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #13
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I got the two year warrenty extension on mine and it's paid for itself. I'm on my 4th phone, one covered for malfunction and one accidently covered a cracked screen on warrenty. Moral is always get the extended warrenty
Old 04-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Can you not get insurance with AT&T? (Assuming that is who you are with since it's an Iphone) I know with Verizon I pay about $5 a month for insurance and if the phone gets broken or lost I can replace it with a simple deductible of $50. Hell of a lot cheaper than paying full pop especially when replacing Smart Phones. If I lose my Blackberry $50 will be a lot less painful than $300.
As far as the Iphone, I am a Mac user but refused to get the Iphone and be locked down to AT&T. Had them in the past and hated them plus I heard their service is crappy from all the Iphone users running data heavy apps. I think once Google releases the Nexus on all carriers the Iphone will have a tough competitor to contend with as it sounds like it's going to be a helluva phone.
Ditto... me and the wife have BB Storms... I immediately asked how much it'd be to replace one.. they said 600$ (this was when they first came out)..

Insurance is worth it. Haven't had to use it.. but it's nice peace of mind.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have the original iPhone and in January of 2009, it died. I think it was due to surge, but I brought it to the Apple store and they told me either upgrade for $199 or get the original phone (and no new contract) for $199. I choose to stick with the original model as it is already expensive enough and I don’t want an additional $30 a month for 3G.

Fast forward to today. My phone won’t sync with iTunes. I get “Unknown Device” error message in Windows. I tried everything; reinstall iTunes, repair the Mobile Support.msi, Start/Stop Services… Nothing would work. I brought it to the Apple store and they determined it was a device failure. My only options are paying $199 for another original phone or $199 for 3GS with a new contract. He was sympathetic that I just bought this phone and now I have to do it again with 1.5 years. Basically admitted Apple were bastards and that's it.

What BS! I am done with this friggin’ phone and Apple can stuff it. Why people think Apple is so great, I don’t know why. Windows 7 Mobile here I come!
Finally!!! Someone sees where I'm coming from. Just a suggestion Moses, try Android over Win Mobile. You might be very surprised at the results.

Let me know I can do some searching and see if I can find any deals on cells for ya.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Gregory
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Veritas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Can you not get insurance with AT&T? (Assuming that is who you are with since it's an Iphone).
Not on the iPhone. It simply isn't an option.

I second Mugen's suggestion to check out an Android phone. I currently have a Windows Phone 6.5 (HTC Touch Pro 2) but will be switching to Android as soon as the HTC EVO 4G is released.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
iPhone is not unique anymore. Everyone has touch screen phones with multiple app's.
Um, Apple didn't create the smartphone concept, Palm did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #18
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

At least consider android or blackberry over WiMo.

Sorry about your bad experience w/ Apple, I've never had anything but positive experiences with their genius bar/customer service
Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

could you not get apple care on the replacement phone?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
ScottishSmoker

I am anti-Apple...I think Steve Jobs has a God complex...the iPhone, don't get why I need it...so what if it has an app that makes it a whoopee-cushion, how is that useful...I do LOVE my BlackBerry, I cannot imagine going too anything else...look at one of those. I have had mine for slightly over two years, never once has an issue arised that is not something that the tech-retarded people like me cannot fix, even without the manual....

Closed Thread