Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Moncada cigars?

My Mom and stepdad went on a cruise recently and brought back some cigars for me that they bought from a roller in the port of Roatan, Honduras. They look like nicely rolled maduro torpedos. and are named "Moncada."

I haven't had a chance to try thrm yet. Anyone have any experience with this roller?
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moncada cigars?

Smoke one and give us a review since this is the Reviews section
Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
keysdiver

I visited the same port last August and bought some cigars from the only vendor on the doc. They were great, very mild. I have his card. His email is moncadaciggars@yahoo.com I've email him twice but no response so far, I'd like to order more. He was rolling them right there on the doc. Price was 15.00 for a pack of seven. His phone, which I haven't tried yet, is (504)9966-2240
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysdiver View Post
I visited the same port last August and bought some cigars from the only vendor on the doc. They were great, very mild. I have his card. His email is moncadaciggars@yahoo.com I've email him twice but no response so far, I'd like to order more. He was rolling them right there on the doc. Price was 15.00 for a pack of seven. His phone, which I haven't tried yet, is (504)9966-2240
You have two 'g's in his email... is that the problem??
Sounds interesting! I love custom/house blends sticks

aj
Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
ksandy

They're up to $20 per package, but he gave me 4 free after telling other tourists they were "moy bien!"
Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
keysdiver

That's what is on his business card and it doesn't bounce back as a bad address, but worth trying. Thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysdiver View Post
That's what is on his business card and it doesn't bounce back as a bad address, but worth trying. Thanks
There's also a website ( http://stores.homestead.com/MoncadaC...StoreFront.bok ) that looks to have the same lettering as the business card.

I tried one and I would review it as "a toasty flavor." I put the rest in the 'dor to try after a while.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
michaelmast

Those cigars are good but have you ever try Cuban Cigars? Those are the best of the best in flavor, texture, presentation and price.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmast View Post
Those cigars are good but have you ever try Cuban Cigars? Those are the best of the best in flavor, texture, presentation and price.
Welcome to Cigar Asylum. Why not head over to the New Inmate Forum and introduce yourself.

As for your comment, there are many who prefer Cuban cigars. However, there are many who do not. "Best" is purely subjective.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
whodeeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmast View Post
Boy he didn't last long! Was that the Record Pete?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodeeni View Post
Boy he didn't last long! Was that the Record Pete?
Not even close.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
keysdiver

I finally heard back from Sr Mancado via email, in spanish. According to the spanish translator I found on line he says he is a small vendor, rolling small quantities working at the mercy of Carnival Cruise lines and cannot sell on line. Oh well.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
ksandy

I just got back from a cruise (Princess) to Roatan and saw Sr. Moncada rolling on the square next to the hair braiding lady. I bought a pack of 7; immediately tried one....liked it so much, I bought 3 more packs. I also touted their quality to a few other people in front of the roller....they also bought some and Sr. Moncado rewarded my salesmanship with 4 additional free cigars. They are NOT tightly rolled, but definitely a 50 minute + smoke...leathery...tasty and mild. The price went up to $20/7...but up the stairs to the right was another store with Cubans @ $15 ea. I've tried 'em all and Cubans are not worth it...to me. A good Dominican is just as good, so don't be lured into the mystique.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandy View Post
I just got back from a cruise (Princess) to Roatan and saw Sr. Moncada rolling on the square next to the hair braiding lady. I bought a pack of 7; immediately tried one....liked it so much, I bought 3 more packs. I also touted their quality to a few other people in front of the roller....they also bought some and Sr. Moncado rewarded my salesmanship with 4 additional free cigars. They are NOT tightly rolled, but definitely a 50 minute + smoke...leathery...tasty and mild. The price went up to $20/7...but up the stairs to the right was another store with Cubans @ $15 ea. I've tried 'em all and Cubans are not worth it...to me. A good Dominican is just as good, so don't be lured into the mystique.
Opinions vary greatly.

And since you've tried them all, we'd love to hear more about your perceptions of the individual marcas/vitolas.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Opinions vary greatly.

And since you've tried them all, we'd love to hear more about your perceptions of the individual marcas/vitolas.
I think that's why he said "...to me" at the end of that statement.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I think that's why he said "...to me" at the end of that statement.
I read that, too.
Based on the fact he has tried them all, I would like to hear more than a general statement, MJ.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
...but up the stairs to the right was another store with Cubans @ $15 ea. I've tried 'em all and Cubans are not worth it...to me. A good Dominican is just as good, so don't be lured into the mystique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I read that, too.
Based on the fact he has tried them all, I would like to hear more than a general statement, MJ.
There is also the very, very slight possibility that Cubans that he bought "at the top of the stairs" from a dock in Honduras were not legit. A very, very, very slight chance.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Welcome to the Asylum anyway! Hey, I see you are the admin of the JR Cigar site on Facebook!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Welcome to the Asylum anyway! Hey, I see you are the admin of the JR Cigar site on Facebook!
Someone affiliated with a US cigar store and saying Cubans are not worth it?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Someone affiliated with a US cigar store and saying Cubans are not worth it?
There's no conflict of interest or bias there! Move along, nothing to see here.