Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #41
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Case of the Expanding Ring Gauge

I like cigars....Now that I've gotten that out of the way, who am I to say that 64 and bigger is ridiculous. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Personally if it is a good stick I will smoke it. There is a market for everything hence why your seeing bigger smokes.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #42
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
I like cigars....Now that I've gotten that out of the way, who am I to say that 64 and bigger is ridiculous. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Personally if it is a good stick I will smoke it. There is a market for everything hence why your seeing bigger smokes.
I feel if a cigar is uncomfortable or awkward in the mouth, It's ridiculous. If the particular cigar is not available in a smaller vitola I can kinda see it. I will still pass thanks.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #43
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
I feel if a cigar is uncomfortable or awkward in the mouth, It's ridiculous. If the particular cigar is not available in a smaller vitola I can kinda see it. I will still pass thanks.
I agree completely, but like others have stated there is a market for the fly by night smokers who think bigger is better. In their eyes it may be.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #44
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Again it's not just "fly by night smokers" that like bigger cigars. I am in no way a newb or a fly by night smoker. It gets old getting thrown into that group just because I like them. So now we have RG snobs on top of CC snobs? Really?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #45
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Again it's not just "fly by night smokers" that like bigger cigars. I am in no way a newb or a fly by night smoker. It gets old getting thrown into that group just because I like them. So now we have RG snobs on top of CC snobs? Really?
Just as it gets old being thrown into the CC snob group because I smoke CCs.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't sweat it. I didn't see anyone claiming YOU were part of the "fly by night smokers"
I could care less that people think I am a CC snob. They obviously don't know me. As far as I am concerned, those peckerheads can judge me all they want.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #46
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I was talking about another member here that looks down on those of us that don't partake in CC's. But that's ok. I've never been called refined or distinguished . I am what I am. And proud of it.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #47
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I prefer large ring gauge cigars, and have been smoking for many years now. I must be in the "minority" but obviously not if they keep making them. I have lots of time at work and home to enjoy them and I love the flavors in them. And the longer smoking time allows me to sit back, relax and just do lots of thinking.
*Doesn't like CCs
*Likes large RGs
*Doesn't claim to be distinguished
*Doesn't claim to be refined
*Never got a pony for Xmas

JK MIB, you know I love you, even though you are a LRG NC snob! You and Taki both, Hahah.

I stay away from larger RGs, they just feel wrong.
I try to stay under a 54 if possible, I thought for a while I was going to be into only lanceros and panatela RGs but have really enjoyed some robustos and coronas recently that opened up my mind a bit.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 07-26-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #48
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
RA
Mikepd has disabled reputation

Some have said I have the palate of a goat, but no one has ever said I had the jaw of a gorilla! Sorry no big ring gauges for me.
Mikepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #49
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Like a lot of folks here, I started out with the larger RG stuff. LGC Serie R were my favorite for a long time. Now I doubt there is a single cigar over 50rg that I would buy. Now, 9/10 of the cigars I smoke are Corona/PC.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #50
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Don't worry about it. There's Tat snobs out there too you know

But really, 64 rg cigar is redic
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #51
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The only problem with this ring gauge issue is that it doesn't seem to be limited to one brand or a few brands, but is happening all across the board with new releases and even CCs.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #52
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
There is a market for everything hence why your seeing bigger smokes.
Cigars are a market-driven commodity. (For other statements of the obvious, please check out my blog: Don't_You_Know_Who_I_Think_I_Am.com ) Obviously, these larger RG sticks are in high demand. What depresses me is fewer and fewer new offerings of smaller RG smokes as well as the discontinuation of a lot short & skinnies. Moe was recently in NYC hob-nobbing with an owner from an LCDH in Germany, and the guy was saying something like 90%+ of his sales were robusto-sized sticks. NINETY PERCENT! That's not fly by night ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
those peckerheads can judge me all they want.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #53
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No. Nobody was trying to lump anyone into this group or that. I was just commenting on a trend I've noticed (from my point of view somewhat disappointing) that manufacturers are not releasing many small ring gauge cigars anymore with their new brands and that even CCs (which come from a very long tradition) are showing signs of this trend. I was simply seeking an answer as to why, which went beyond, "that's what the people want." I guess the second question was, why do people want to smoke large RG cigars? If you read through the thread, I think there are a few good answers to both questions.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #54
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
When we have had some of the more reknowned rollers roll cigars for group buys (La China, Hamlet, Taboada), I was told that they said the thinner RG took more skill. That's all second hand though, I have never met any of them.
I was told by an Altadis rep that if you looked at cigar manufacturing as bunchers (the people who actually roll the tobacco, bind it, and put it into forms) and finishers (the people who apply the wrapper), the harder job was always bunching a larger smoke and finishing the smaller smokes.

This may not be the case for companies that manufacture cigars start to finish by one roller, I really don't know.

Personally, as a hobbyist and enthusiast, I find there's a certain blend-to-size feeling I get with some cigars. I like the original La Aroma de Cuba in a 60rg more than any other size, but I can't stand Pepin Black Labels in anything over a 52. Just some blends lean themselves towards a larger ring better than others. Perdomo Lot 23 is another smoke I don't like in anything other than the 4x60 size. Can't even begin to explain why on that one.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #55
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
I think what you mean is uncomfortable or awkward in your mouth. Like I said I don't have any trouble smoking a 6x60 or larger, it isn't like you have to be a snake and unhinge your jaw to smoke the larger RG cigars.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #56
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
And that's ok that you DO like larger cigars Kevin. There are good, larger RG cigars out there. The Cain F 660, MUWAT (7, 6, and 5 x 60), and even the 6 x 64 Casa Magna Gigantores (even though made me sick it was so strong) are all pretty good, big-ass cigars.

I know you smoke good cigars and I'm sure you don't just walk into a B&M and choose a cigar simply and singularly based on it's size. I think those are the cigar consumers we're talking about (well, at least I am).

Hell, I'm a self professed small RG and lancero lover, but I will still on occasion and depending on what activity I'm about to do, grab a long, large RG cigar. If you have a lot of time at home to smoke I can't fault you for grabbing something that fits the bill

However if you start smoking the Puros Indios Chief on the regular we might need to have a talk

Last edited by Brutus2600; 07-26-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: English
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #57
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Cigars are a market-driven commodity. (For other statements of the obvious, please check out my blog: Don't_You_Know_Who_I_Think_I_Am.com ) Obviously, these larger RG sticks are in high demand. What depresses me is fewer and fewer new offerings of smaller RG smokes as well as the discontinuation of a lot short & skinnies. Moe was recently in NYC hob-nobbing with an owner from an LCDH in Germany, and the guy was saying something like 90%+ of his sales were robusto-sized sticks. NINETY PERCENT! That's not fly by night ...
Yep. This is what bothers me. Smoke what you want. I don't care. But don't discontinue the stuff I prefer.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #58
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
So now we have RG snobs on top of CC snobs? Really?
Having a preference makes one a "snob"? Then aren't you a large RG snob?

Quote:
I was talking about another member here that looks down on those of us that don't partake in CC's. But that's ok. I've never been called refined or distinguished . I am what I am. And proud of it.
I'm sorry. I only look down on those members that I am taller than.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #59
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

I had my first 60 ga. cigar the other day. I thought it was to big but once I started smoking it, I didn't mind it.

I don't think I would like anything bigger though.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #60
CigarDojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Do you think this is a passing fad? Will we have novelty cigars be the norm (anyone remember those Fuente football cigar pictures?)? How big is too big?
Great topic idea!

When I first started smoking cigars I liked the HUGE ring gauges. Now I find myself preferring cigars that are right in the middle i.e., 50-52