Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Diamond Crown Maximus

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sungrown

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican

Strength: Full

Price: Box of 20, $193.95

Grade: 9.1

Produced at Tabacalera A Fuente for JC Newman, the Diamond Crown Maximus follows the success of the regular Diamond Crown line. Production began on this line at the start of the 21st century and after three years work between Stanford Newman and Carlos Fuente, the Maximus was introduced in 2003.

Made in limited quantities, the wrapper is from the Oliva family’s El Bajo farm and is listed as Ecuadorian Ligero Oscuro Sun Grown. It is available in five sizes and is sold in boxes of 20: Double Corona (8×50, Maximus #1), Churchill (7×50, Maximus #2) Pyramid (6.625×50, Maximus #3 ), Toro (6×50, Maximus #4 ), and the Robusto (5×50, Maximus #5). The binder and filler are both Dominican, which is also where the cigar is produced.

We were sent this cigar by Cigars Direct and the review is based on one sample. You can purchase the Diamond Crown Maximus here. Now, on to the toast.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The first thing I notice on this Robusto is the band, which jumps out at you from the humidor. The Ecuadorian wrapper has a few noticeable veins but otherwise is fairly clean. The color and oils on the sungrown wrapper are very inviting, and it really hyped my anticipation of the smoke. The cigar is packed well with no soft spots. The pre-light aroma does not produce a ton of notes along the wrapper but the foot produces a nice aroma. The cold draw is full flavored with tons of spice, while the draw is tight.

Burn, 1.8:
The Robusto really opens up after lighting. The draw is good for the duration of the cigar and it produces a more than adequate amount of smoke to cover the palate. The ash does not hold as well as I thought it would but it burns even, requires no touch ups, and is a consistent white in color.

Flavor, 2.8:
The first puff on this smoke produces notes of strong, flavorful tobacco that is creamy but somewhat spicy at the same time. As I move through the smoke, I pick up notes of toasted nuts, sweet spice, and solid Dominican tobacco. This profile is consistent, but towards the end the spice seems to retreat to the edge of the flavor profile and the finish is a bit darker, maybe towards a light coffee.

Overall, 2.7:
The Diamond Crown Maximus is a well balanced and full flavored cigar that in my opinion is medium to full in body. At around $10.00 a stick this is not an everyday smoke for me by any stretch, but it is a great smoke and I look forward to my next one.

(Total: 9.1)
Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Diamond Crown Maximus

Nice review! I've been thinking about this stick a bit lately and I think that I'll put it on my "must try" list.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Nice review! I've been thinking about this stick a bit lately and I think that I'll put it on my "must try" list.
Definitely on my "must try" list as well. I'm trying to limit the number of new cigars I buy for a while, but with this review I may have to cheat a little bit.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought I would enjoy DCM's based on reviews and the looks of the sticks.
I just can't get beside them. Either I've landed a handful of duds along the way, or I just plain don't like them.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Was gifted one of these by my local BandM store for helping out one day. (I always help customers and stuff) anyway I have yet to smoke it. Maybe today is t he day.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I always thought I would enjoy DCM's based on reviews and the looks of the sticks.
I just can't get beside them. Either I've landed a handful of duds along the way, or I just plain don't like them.
It's hard to try it again if you had a bad experience the first time, w/ the price being $10+ for a Robusto.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another fine review...thanks for sharing.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Thanks for the review. Lots of great info. This has been on my "must try" list for a long time.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
OHRD

Anyone had the regular Diamond Crown line, as well as the Maximus? How do they compare? I know the Natural and Maduro are much milder...
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

One of my standard go to eveing smokes, nice review
Old 06-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

I would agree it is a very nice stick but it can easily get lost among all of the great cigars in that price range.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Anyone had the regular Diamond Crown line, as well as the Maximus? How do they compare? I know the Natural and Maduro are much milder...
The regular line isn't worth buying, but the Maximus are better than Opus
Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
It's hard to try it again if you had a bad experience the first time, w/ the price being $10+ for a Robusto.
I've choked down about a dozen along the way. They look divine and smell delicious. For whatever reason, they just don't work for me.
It's one of those few cigars I really wish I could like. Normally I could care less, ya know? For some reason I've always been drawn to these and San Cristobals. The pretty bands, I suppose. I can't get beside either one.
It bums me out.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Great review Matthew, Thanks!

These bad boys are one of my all time favorite NCs. I just picked up a box of DCM #1 from sigsauer in WTS about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to sit on them for the summer and try one around the holidays, can't wait!

Chris.....
Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

I've had the regular line and thought it was just ok, but now I will definitely get a couple of these. Thanks for the review

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #16
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I've choked down about a dozen along the way. They look divine and smell delicious. For whatever reason, they just don't work for me.
It's one of those few cigars I really wish I could like. Normally I could care less, ya know? For some reason I've always been drawn to these and San Cristobals. The pretty bands, I suppose. I can't get beside either one.
It bums me out.
If Scott Doesn't Like Them, I Probably Won't either! I'll Stay With My Anejos & Tats!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
timo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (0)
timo will become famous soon enough

Bought a box this week off Cigar monster for 139.95. Smoked the first one tonight.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics
timo is offline   Reply With Quote