Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Demented

Default Copper cookware

Been a “hobby Chef” for 30 + years now, for the last 15 or so I've wanted professional quality copper cookware.

Been out of work since 08/05, early his year I got social security disability and my pension from the union, with back pay to 05.

Took care of the debt I'd incurred since leaving work, back taxes and the rest of that stuff, had some furniture made and ended up with enough left to replace my “A-Clad” stainless cookware with 2.5mm professional quality stainless lined copper cookware.

Conductivity: thats the keyword when talking cookware.

Place a stainless wrapped around aluminum pot of water on high heat at the same time as a copper pot of water and the copper pot starts boiling minutes before the other, once they are both boiling remove them from the heat, the copper pot stops boiling when you take from the heat, the other takes a while.

Does this really matter?

Well I can't be the judge for you, for me the results speak for themselves.

Copper cookware gets hot faster, holds the heat better and reacts to changes in heat faster than anything I've ever used. That and it really looks good hanging on the wall.

On the down side, I tended to burn the pans and a lot of food for the first few weeks I had this cookware, getting use to using lower heat and less time took some time, the learning curve was steep but fast.

If you want the best cookware there is and are willing to pay for quality... take a look at Falk copper cookware, only available through copperpans.com in the U.S. of A.

I love the quality of he product, I got a couple pieces that where damaged in transit, they replaced them no questions asked, the warranty is top notch.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: Copper cookware

A Question:
I have a set of older pure copper (no stainless lining) cookware, all thick professional quality. I love it, but of course its a pain to maintain.
What are your thoughts on that versus the copper clad that you have?
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post

A Question:
I have a set of older pure copper (no stainless lining) cookware, all thick professional quality. I love it, but of course its a pain to maintain.
What are your thoughts on that versus the copper clad that you have?
Here is the bottom line brother...

You say you have copper cookware without a stainless lining, that means your copper copper cookware has a tin lining.

Tinning wares out over time and has to be re-lined.

The copper that I have is stainlesses lined.

I am a Jack ass!

If you want me to talk to you about the best copper, stainless or any other type of cookware?

Anyone who wants to talk cookware, call me!

818 -386- 0019 this is my home number.

Damn I'me fuc*** up.

I would love to talk to you.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I am a Jack ass!

818 -386- 0019 this is my home number.

Damn I'me fuc*** up.

I would love to talk to you.

I love your recipes, but this is now my favorite post from you ever.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I like the whole copper lined stuff, really looks the part. I use to cook with copper bottom cookware and that was great too. Only a few pieces really need copper.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Demented

Falk Culinair copper cookware manufactured in Brussels, in Wespelaar, Belgium.

Copper is the best conductor of heat, it heats faster needing less heat than stainless or aluminum, it also reacts to changes in heat faster than other metal.

The high-end clad cookware (aluminum sandwiched in stainless), conducts heat okay, and the stainless is non-reactive with food and easy to care for, although it's expensive by comparison, it's considerably less than copper.

As copper also reacts with food, for every application other than sugar work, jam and egg whites it must be lined, tin and to a lessor degree silver have been the lining of choice.

With EPA regulations, it's getting harder all the time finding a place in the states to have copper cookware re-tinned.

I had older copper pans, it became to expensive with shipping and tinning fees to maintain, a couple hang on the wall, most have been gifted for decoration.

There's better information on the Copper Pans web site.