Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
levrac68
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Todd
Trading: (0)
levrac68 is on a distinguished road
Default 10 Pretty Good Tips...

I saw this on J&R's website... I agree with most of it so I hope it helps someone as much as myself.

1. An easy way to get a perfect cut from most double-bladed guillotine cutters is to lay it flat on a table, place the cigar in it straight up, and snip. This method makes it easy to not only get a straight cut, but with most cutters it nips just the right amount of the head off your cigar.
2. A great way to keep your cigar burning evenly is to rotate the slow-burning side to the bottom. I know this seems odd, but the bottom side will burn faster because the oxygen needed to feed the flame isn't being displaced by the smoke. Try it and see!
3. Your cigar a little tight? First thing to try is to gently squeeze and massage it; many times this will loosen the bunch enough to fix the problem. But if that doesn't work, go for the gusto and use a skewer or ice pick to just poke a hole through its length. Word of warning though: Do this before you light it and be very careful!
4. To prevent your cigar from going out between puffs, give it a couple of extra quick, short draws coupled with quick exhales before you take a long draw of smoke to savor against you palate each time. You will be amazed at how this simple practice helps to improve any difficult burning cigar.
5. Ignore what everyone keeps telling you about 70% being the ideal relative humidity for cigar storage. Many cigars are too wet at this level and draw poorly and taste sour. You will enjoy a much better smoking experience keeping your stogies closer to 65% RH.
6. Don't become anal about relative humidity. Cigar smoking is meant to be relaxi g; stressing over your humidor humidity level is a waste of time! The goal is to keep it stable… your cigars will be just fine anywhere between 60% and 72%. In my opinion, they smoke best around 65-66%, but they are not going be harmed at a few points higher or lower. The goal is to find what you like and to maintain that level.
7. A quick and easy way to check how good your humidor's seal is is to empty it, place an energized flashlight inside, close the lid, and inspect it in a dark room. If there are any leaks or gaps, the light will shine right through.
8. Your butane lighter doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to? Purge it! What does this mean? Purging is simple: Next time your lighter is empty, depress the fill stem and allow the air that is trapped within the empty gas reservoir to be expelled. You will know it is properly purged when you cease to hear any hissing.
9. It is best to wait five minutes or so after a cigar is lit before you try to remove the band. The heat of the cigar will loosen any glue that may have come in contact with your cigar's wrapper and will prevent you from tearing the leaf as your remove the ring.
10. Want to relight a cigar that you left sitting for awhile? The best way to do this is tap off any remaining ash, then gently blow through the cigar to clear any stale air. Then, as you light it, continue to blow gently through the cigar with the flame at the foot for about three seconds before you take your first draw. Doing this simple set of actions will greatly reduce any initial sour flavor from a relit cigar.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 10 Pretty Good Tips...

good tips thanks
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Reaver2145

Misread the title i leave disappointed.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver2145 View Post
Misread the title i leave disappointed.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Thanks for sharing Todd!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough

Perfect information thank you.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Just tried #1 and it didnt work well for me, maybe its just my cutter though
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Almost every item is a good tip indeed. Except for the cutter trick in No.1, I learned all of them through trial and error.

Number 11....if you want your cigar to burn well after an ash, give it a good spot to break at. About 3-4 puffs
before you want your ash to drop, give it one DEEP draw that rings the burn line with orange light. Then after
a few normal puffs, your break should occur right at the point where you gave it that hard puff. Furthermore,
you will get a good burn going AFTER the ashing this way. One of the main reasons we do not ash a cigar like
a cigarette is that SOME ash on the cherry end helps to keep the burn going continuously.

Once it ashes, lightly blow through the cigar and continue smoking as normal.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
IlmProcess
¿Spectacle

First Name: Trent
Trading: (0)
IlmProcess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Almost every item is a good tip indeed. Except for the cutter trick in No.1, I learned all of them through trial and error.

Number 11....if you want your cigar to burn well after an ash, give it a good spot to break at. About 3-4 puffs
before you want your ash to drop, give it one DEEP draw that rings the burn line with orange light. Then after
a few normal puffs, your break should occur right at the point where you gave it that hard puff. Furthermore,
you will get a good burn going AFTER the ashing this way. One of the main reasons we do not ash a cigar like
a cigarette is that SOME ash on the cherry end helps to keep the burn going continuously.

Once it ashes, lightly blow through the cigar and continue smoking as normal.
I'll keep this in mind, thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

Tip #1 was with my Xikars cutter when I got I. I cut this way with any rounded tipped cigar and it works great every time.

I'm sure it depends on the cutter because of the thickness of the cutter frame.