Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Vacation In Washington DC

In mid-October, my wife and I will be visiting Washington DC for 8 days. She has never been to DC and I have not been since I was 12 years old. So it will be like a first time visit for me as well.

The only firm plans we have so far is that we will be flying into Reagan Airport. I would like to hear from locals and recent visitors regarding accommodations, dining, sightseeing etc. We plan on visiting the famous memorials, monuments, the Smithsonian, etc. but would like to hear what you all have to suggest. I am not averse to using public transportation and avoiding renting a car for the week. I also have the green light to plan an afternoon or evening for a herf so I may need a car anyway.

Let me hear what you have to say.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vacation In Washington DC

Peter, I will have Leigh send you a PM when she gets home from work. She used to live and work there. I am sure she would have a few ideas for you.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

If you're not venturing out of DC, you can take the metro to just about everything you'd want to do. You would want to avoid navigating through the District anyway.

Most of the time I'm up there, we're staying with friends & relatives so I'd have to check on accommodations recommendations...! The various museums, monuments, zoo, Arlington National Cemetery, Pentagon, etc., will take you all week to enjoy. Mixed in with a herf or two, you've got yourself an eventful vacation!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
Peter, I will have Leigh send you a PM when she gets home from work. She used to live and work there. I am sure she would have a few ideas for you.
Excellent, Larry. Thank you. A PM is fine or posting in the thread will work, too.
Either way.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
If you're not venturing out of DC, you can take the metro to just about everything you'd want to do. You would want to avoid navigating through the District anyway.

Most of the time I'm up there, we're staying with friends & relatives so I'd have to check on accommodations recommendations...! The various museums, monuments, zoo, Arlington National Cemetery, Pentagon, etc., will take you all week to enjoy. Mixed in with a herf or two, you've got yourself an eventful vacation!
I know I could spend 3 or 4 weeks and not see everything I wanted to. That is why I am looking for some specific ideas as well. I'm definitely going to have to make some choices and I am sure I will miss some things I would like to see.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

If it would be easier, would you rather talk on the phone??? She should be home in about 15 min.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
If it would be easier, would you rather talk on the phone??? She should be home in about 15 min.
That mighe work down the road. I'd like to see what suggestions she and other members have then talk with my wife. But a phone conversation at a later date would be great.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

From Reagan you can hop right on the Metro and get to most places around town. Look for a hotel that is also close to a Metro station and you should be good. As for restaurants, that would depend on what types of food you like and how much you want to spend. Between Maryland, DC and Virginia, there are a number of very good ethnic restaurants as well. Most of the museums and other attractions are free and well worth the trip. You could spend several days just checking out all the attractions down on the mall. High on my list would be the Museum of Natural History, Air and Space and the Indian Museum. All of these are right on the mall and you walk to them easily. The National Zoo is also on my list if the weather is nice.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Hi Peter
Its Leigh, just got home, depends on where you are staying, but there are of course all of the amazing museums in DC, right over the line in VA is the spy museum and news museum. There is also the DC zoo, famous. Georgetown is a must do. An adventure would be to drive over to Annapolis, MD and Fells Point. Another adventure would be off to the Baltimore aquarium in the harbor area with great seafood. When it gets closer let me know and where you all are staying and I can go further into details. The kennedy center for a show is also fantastic and the fords theater.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
From Reagan you can hop right on the Metro and get to most places around town. Look for a hotel that is also close to a Metro station and you should be good. As for restaurants, that would depend on what types of food you like and how much you want to spend. Between Maryland, DC and Virginia, there are a number of very good ethnic restaurants as well. Most of the museums and other attractions are free and well worth the trip. You could spend several days just checking out all the attractions down on the mall. High on my list would be the Museum of Natural History, Air and Space and the Indian Museum. All of these are right on the mall and you walk to them easily. The National Zoo is also on my list if the weather is nice.
Quote:
Hi Peter
Its Leigh, just got home, depends on where you are staying, but there are of course all of the amazing museums in DC, right over the line in VA is the spy museum and news museum. There is also the DC zoo, famous. Georgetown is a must do. An adventure would be to drive over to Annapolis, MD and Fells Point. Another adventure would be off to the Baltimore aquarium in the harbor area with great seafood. When it gets closer let me know and where you all are staying and I can go further into details. The kennedy center for a show is also fantastic and the fords theater.
Excellent.
Food is wide open. We like all kinds of ethnic food as well as fine dining and deli/bistro/cafe.
Keep the ideas coming.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

If you plan on visiting some locations that have an entrance fee or charge let me know. I might be able to get you military discounted tickets.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Reagan Airport? Oh, you mean National. Locals still and always will call it National while tourist and newbies call it Reagan - so if you say Reagan expect a moment or two for it to sink in.

I would suggest taking a look at the hotels in National Harbor. While it's not in DC it's close to National. It's new, has great hotels, restaurants and things to do in the evening safely by walking (I love Bobby McKeys, a dueling piano bar there). And it's not bad for being centrally located to not only visit the typical DC sites but also Virginia and Maryland. I'm pretty sure that Dave (Da Klugs) stayed there on one of his visits from what I remember.

In Virginia you will find Old Town Alexandria, Mount Vernon (George Washington's Home), a heavy dose of Civil War sites and battlefields, the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport and Arlington National Cemetery (The changing of the guard is something to see at least once) to name a few.

October would be a great time to visit. You miss the summer tourist crowds, the heat and stifling humidity. The trees will be changing colors, Oktoberfest will be popping up and around. And I'm pretty sure that the Maryland Renaissance Fair will be going on during your visit dates. Temps should be anywhere from the low 60's to upper 70's.

Transportation. I always suggest a mixture of rental car and public. The subways run through DC and into Maryland and Virginia. And you have the bus system. The metro system does not run 24/7. Keep in mind that millions work in and around DC. Rush hours here are extended both in the morning and evening. Taking a rental to a metro subway/bus location gives good flexibility.

Anyway - you have plenty of time to plan and explore all the options and sites.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Excellent.
Food is wide open. We like all kinds of ethnic food as well as fine dining and deli/bistro/cafe.
Keep the ideas coming.
My wife is the foodie and keeps track of the restaurants around town. As you figure out what you're doing and where you're going to be she could probably tell you what is close and good.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
MarioF

Peter, we lost our internet connection because of a huge wind storm, so when it comes back I'll get you more ideas of stuff to do. You've had great suggestions so far. The main thing you need to do though is come over for dinner one night, we'll make some homemade pizza, drink some wine and have a cigar. Maybe we can get some other locals to join us!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Don't forget to stop by Marion Barry's smoking lounge, admission is free.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I would host a herf/dinner for you two in half a heartbeat Peter.
That said,I am close by so plan to see me/us along the line. We'll make ourselves available.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Something that has yet to be brought up yet; touring the White House. I believe tickets are free, but you have to go through your Congressman and provide the dates you'll be in town. This should be done at least a couple of months in advance. They could also try and work you in with a guided tour if you enquire.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Lived & worked there for five years... Some of my favorites-
http://www.shellysdc.com/ -dinner and cigar smoking
http://www.hayadams.com/washington-dc-bars.php - Great place to stop in for a drink.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

You have got to include a visit to the FBI!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

wife's sister works in dc so I've got a place to crash post herf...
loki is offline   Reply With Quote