Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #161
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation
Default Re: How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
I have another question.

Lets say someone ordered some cigars and forgot about them coming and went on vacation. They come back home only to find that their cigars were in the mail box for a week in 90 deg heat.

Will this trigger beetles even though the cigars were frozen before all this happened?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
They can only hatch if there is viable eggs. If they were frozen properly before shipping and were not infested after freezing, then they should be fine. I would keep them separate from my other sticks to see if anything hatches....or you can always freeze to be on the safe side.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #162
BDC

What would it hurt to send them to the freezer a couple days?

Why take the chance.?!?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #163
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
They can only hatch if there is viable eggs. If they were frozen properly before shipping and were not infested after freezing, then they should be fine. I would keep them separate from my other sticks to see if anything hatches....or you can always freeze to be on the safe side.
Thanks, Kevin.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #164
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

I just have a n00b question about the bags... we do not currently own a vacuum sealer and are set on which one to get just yet, could I just use Ziploc Freezer bags instead of vacuum sealing or is that a bad idea?
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #165
BDC

I use Freezer bags, no problem..
Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #166
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC View Post
I use Freezer bags, no problem..
Thanks, looks like I'll be hitting the store on the way home.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #167
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I just use any old ziploc bag (I've frozen countless cigars in the plain old CI smiley bags and 5-finger bags) Doesn't have to be "freezer rated". They are not going to be in there long enough for the thickness of the bag to really make any difference.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #168
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I just use any old ziploc bag (I've frozen countless cigars in the plain old CI smiley bags and 5-finger bags) Doesn't have to be "freezer rated". They are not going to be in there long enough for the thickness of the bag to really make any difference.
Ok, then I can go with the normal gallon size, I'm doing my whole collection and it'll be easier that way (theyre all loose and the collection is only 50 sticks )
Old 07-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #169
ridenlive

What does everyone think of liquid nitrogen... that should do the trick right lol i'll bring a pic when i get a chance
Old 07-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #170
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenlive View Post
What does everyone think of liquid nitrogen... that should do the trick right lol i'll bring a pic when i get a chance
You kid, but a BOTL once did an experiment on freezing cigars by using dry ice.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #171
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

So let me get this straight....My cigarettes contain tar, rat poison and god knows what else.....now my cigars contain Beetles? Man I haven't went to sleep yet but it already feels like someone **** in my cereal.

So let me get this straight....somehow and why are there beetles in cigars?
Do you have to freeze EVERY CIGAR? Like say I buy cigars from a smoke shop....are those fine since they've been in a humidor for god knows how long? Is this only for online purchased cigars? Are beetles already THERE or do they somehow FORM in cigars?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #172
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Tobacco beetles are not as big a problem as they once were in cigars. Most major manufacturers have some sort of control. Many large online retailers have freezing facilities.

If you are buying cigars from your local shop or online and smoking them within a week or two, you shouldnt have problems. But many of us buy boxes(and boxes) and store them for a several months or longer. In this case, to avoid the horror of opening a box six months down the line and finding a bunch of holes in your cigars, freezing will give you a peace of mind.

This is an obsessive hobby, we worry about everything. Rh, temperature, next cigar purchase, storage. The main thing is to relax and enjoy a cigar, sometimes the stress over the little things can interfere with your enjoyment and that should be avoided.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #173
aar0n

Thanks for the info, you got me scared now and I want to go home and check my humidor lol.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #174
Hoosierguy

I haven't read all the posts here but as I await a delivery from UPS, something struck me.
You guys are saying that most manufacturers freeze the cigars to kill eggs/larva before they are shipped to the retails.
It seems to me that the delivery to your house may be were the cigars are exposed to high temps, triggering the beetles. Could it be that paying extra for, say a two day delivery, is worth the price? A seven or nine day delivery might mean that your cigs spend as much as a week in a very hot warehouse somewhere.
Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #175
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Shipping time is mostly irrelevant from domestic sources. If the eggs/larva/beetles are dead, there is nothing to hatch no matter what the temps or delivery time. That is the reason things are frozen. Freezing at home is just a second layer of protection, the only way to get contaminated is from another source, like cigars you receive in trades or bombs.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #176
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Shipping time is mostly irrelevant from domestic sources. If the eggs/larva/beetles are dead, there is nothing to hatch no matter what the temps or delivery time. That is the reason things are frozen. Freezing at home is just a second layer of protection, the only way to get contaminated is from another source, like cigars you receive in trades or bombs.
Bob is wise.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #177
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

I always let people know if they receive cigars from me they have already been thru the process of freezing by me.
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #178
jbuck

The best artial I"ve read on the subject. The pix of ruined cigars is enough to make me cry
Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #179
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierguy View Post
I haven't read all the posts here but as I await a delivery from UPS, something struck me.
You guys are saying that most manufacturers freeze the cigars to kill eggs/larva before they are shipped to the retails.
It seems to me that the delivery to your house may be were the cigars are exposed to high temps, triggering the beetles. Could it be that paying extra for, say a two day delivery, is worth the price? A seven or nine day delivery might mean that your cigs spend as much as a week in a very hot warehouse somewhere.
Just a thought.
I think that this is more of a maybe than an actual regular occurrence. At least from a CC perspective. I cannot speak to NC's as I don't have or get any.

Bob's comments are mostly right in my mind. It is all the intermediary steps you have to be concerned about. From manufacturer to storage facility to wholesaler to retailer to you and whatever happens in between.

I have friends that as recently as last month have had sticks arrive with live bugs in em.......still give me nightmares.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #180
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuck View Post
The best artial I"ve read on the subject. The pix of ruined cigars is enough to make me cry
Thanks