Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (2)
Army (Disabled Vet)
Byaah is on a distinguished road
Default How to remember?

When you first started out smoking cigars, what did you do to remember what you liked and what you did not like?

Do you jot down notes? Make a private blog? Keep the label/wrapper?

There is so much info, just trying to keep up with brands is to much, trying to remember what leaf everything was and age seems like and overwhelming task but I don't wish to just drop money and not remember.
Byaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How to remember?

I keep labels in an empty box and also keep receipts from purchases. Usually if one is really good I will make a mental note or just buy more immediately.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Myself, I would keep the band and make mental notes. I've tried the log book, but would never stick with it.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Myself, I would keep the band and make mental notes. I've tried the log book, but would never stick with it.
I went thru the same thing.
With a smart phone, it's easy to make some quick short notes on likes/dislikes. You could take a photo, too.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Heavy_d
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derek
Trading: (1)
Heavy_d will become famous soon enough

I have a memory like a piece of Swiss cheese, so I can't do the mental note thing. I have an analog cigar journal that let's me paste in the band and fill in relevant details with a review. Also, there's plenty of mobile apps that let you manage humidor inventory and add reviews as you smoke them.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_d View Post
Also, there's plenty of mobile apps that let you manage humidor inventory and add reviews as you smoke them.

Ooooorly? My friend just uprgraded his phone to a Galaxy S5 and gave me his S4 (I had a walmart brick 15$, for the past 2-3 years lol). So I am back into the game with a smartphone in tow.

Do you have any recommendations for apps?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Notebook, tape for cigar bands, pen. Don't forget the ones you didn't like; they're even more important to remember.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
CigarEnvy

I use my memory for those sticks that I know made a great impression on me so that has shot holes in my budget because I like so many. Making a journal is a good idea for those just starting out but understand that your tastes will change and what used to be a favorite will suddenly become a lost memory as you continue your journey.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarEnvy View Post
but understand that your tastes will change and what used to be a favorite will suddenly become a lost memory as you continue your journey.

Yeah I figured this would happen over time. While I would be sad to see things I like drift away it would allow me to have that "new" experience again finding another.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

For me I have never cared. A good cigar is a rare thing, each one is different, the enjoyable ones are
better memories than the bad ones, but I don't get too anal about records of anything more than box codes and
price paid. I let the memories go....if it was meant to be, they will come back to me.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

It's easier for me to remember the ones that I just don't care for.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
It's easier for me to remember the ones that I just don't care for.
Agreed. I tend to remember the ones I don't care for and the ones that are AMAZING!!!
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
Heavy_d
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derek
Trading: (1)
Heavy_d will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byaah View Post
Ooooorly? My friend just uprgraded his phone to a Galaxy S5 and gave me his S4 (I had a walmart brick 15$, for the past 2-3 years lol). So I am back into the game with a smartphone in tow.

The one I use is Mobile Stogie for iPhone. Not sure if it's available for android, but might be.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byaah View Post

Dunno how I missed this. I use/used "My Humidor" to try and keep track of what I had in the humidor. After a few weeks though I kept forgetting to add/remove and it got all out of whack. Simple but did what I needed it too. The free one I know limits you to like 20 entries or so but I think it costs a grand total of 2.99 for the full version. Seemed to work great for me but like I said, I kept forgetting to use it.

Edit: Its in Google Play store for Android...
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I thought about keeping track but to be honest all I do is keep a log on my phone of what I smoked and how many of each, but I don't make side notes or wrapper styles, things like that... i just want to sit down and enjoy the smoke.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Just like you can remember if you liked what you have eaten, you can remember if you liked the cigar. And usually, if you can't remember what the cigar was like, you probably didn't like it.