Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #61
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gurkha Hate

I have smoked a lot of Gurkhas, some have been bad, some have been good. Personally overall I like most Gurkhas.

The Gurkha haters mostly have only had 1 or 2 of their sticks that happened to be bad sticks, the other majority don't like that Gurkha has like 500 different sticks and MSRP on them all is like 10 dollars a stick or higher, yet can be found anywhere for very cheap. It's all their marketing ploy, call their stick a 20 dollar stick and put it on "sale" somewhere for 3 dollars a stick and people jump without thinking. TBH, it's marketing genius in my eyes, but it puts a lot of people off too.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #62
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
What if it becomes "evident" that it's his favorite cigar of all time? Is he then wrong or possibly is it that he may have different tastes than you?

To the OP, don't worry about the hate on any cigar, you smoke it, if you like it, great, if not, great. One of the reasons that there is more than one cigar company and that these companies make more than one cigar is that people tastes change. Do I like Gurkhas, no, I don't, do I bash on them, no I don't, not do I bash Acids or any other sticks that most find unpleasant. My favorite cigar may be your worst, your favorite may be my worst, and we're both right. In the end, smoke what you like and don't give two shits about what anybody else says.
He posed the question, I answered. THought that was the purpose of the forum.

Because I say something doesn't make it "the final word". Just contributing my
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #63
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The Gurkha haters mostly have only had 1 or 2 of their sticks that happened to be bad sticks, the other majority don't like that Gurkha has like 500 different sticks and MSRP on them all is like 10 dollars a stick or higher, yet can be found anywhere for very cheap.
Unfortunately, I have had quite a few different Gurkhas.

btw, what is an "other majority"
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #64
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have smoked a lot of Gurkhas, some have been bad, some have been good. Personally overall I like most Gurkhas.

The Gurkha haters mostly have only had 1 or 2 of their sticks that happened to be bad sticks, the other majority don't like that Gurkha has like 500 different sticks and MSRP on them all is like 10 dollars a stick or higher, yet can be found anywhere for very cheap. It's all their marketing ploy, call their stick a 20 dollar stick and put it on "sale" somewhere for 3 dollars a stick and people jump without thinking. TBH, it's marketing genius in my eyes, but it puts a lot of people off too.
Sorry. I call bull$hit.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #65
thecatch83

They are mass produced goat turds! I would almost rather smoke an Acid.....almost!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #66
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

The Gurkha haters mostly have only had 1 or 2 of their sticks that happened to be bad sticks, the other majority don't like that Gurkha has like 500 different sticks and MSRP on them all is like 10 dollars a stick or higher, yet can be found anywhere for very cheap.
Or maybe Gurkha haters hate Gurkhas based on personal experiences of multiple sticks. But I am sure you know most people's experience with any given brand.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #67
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

I think we ALL have fallen to the hype at one point or another. I myself have about 12 sticks in my humi from my FIRST cigar purchase. I wanted the "Rolls Royce" of cigars to impress my buddies! I WILL smoke every last one of them..eventually.
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #68
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hem View Post
I think we ALL have fallen to the hype at one point or another. I myself have about 12 sticks in my humi from my FIRST cigar purchase. I wanted the "Rolls Royce" of cigars to impress my buddies! I WILL smoke every last one of them..eventually.
Might as well go down with the ship

Classic!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #69
REV
Still Watching My Back

First Name: David
Trading: (1)
REV is on a distinguished road

ive had a few gurkhas in bundles and samplers. color me not impressed. id rather have an acid...
REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #70
dwoodward

HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Sorry. I call bull$hit.
Just look thru all the gurkha threads. there are lots of members that claim to have had only 1 or 2 sticks, some only a few puffs.

I see your calling of bull$hit, and raise you.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #71
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Just look thru all the gurkha threads. there are lots of members that claim to have had only 1 or 2 sticks, some only a few puffs.

I see your calling of bull$hit, and raise you.
Assuming that your statement can be substantiated, how do you get from "lots of members" to "mostly"? Pretty big jump if you ask me.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #72
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

You know what I hate? Padron. Seriously I hate them all. I might be a one man haters club since everyone see,s to love them.

Cigars are subjective to an individuals tastes. Judge for yourself. It is okay to look towards others for recommendation especially if you know someone likes the same things you do in a cigar.

People hate on Gurkha but I love them all and have a ton of them. My local B&M is always selling through their boxes so there must be a lot of closet Gurkha smokers out there.

Who cares though? Like what you like and if someone else doesn't like them maybe you can trade them for them.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #73
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Assuming that your statement can be substantiated, how do you get from "lots of members" to "mostly"? Pretty big jump if you ask me.
What is with you and taking similar words and trying to make them seem like they have completely different meanings. Lots of members and mostly? Who cares.

My comments still stand.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #74
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
What is with you and taking similar words and trying to make them seem like they have completely different meanings. Lots of members and mostly? Who cares.

My comments still stand.
My sincere apology.

I think people here who understand the English language see the difference in the meanings. Whether they care or not, I do not know.

I defer to your vast experience and knowledge.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #75
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I get that you don't like Padron, Jake. I love them, but I can't gag my way through a Tat.
I've tried dozens of Gurkhas, so I guess I don't fall in the lots or mostly bracket, and just find them useless. Devoid of flavor, personality, or a reason to smoke them.
I mentioned their business model earlier, but had stopped trying to find a "cheap gold nugget" or "cheap yardgar" among them long before they annoyed me. The cigars earned the annoyance.
If they're floating your boat, continue to enjoy them. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I get ragged constantly about how picky I am about cigars I'll smoke. I like what I like, and I won't spend ten minutes on a cigar I don't enjoy. Life is too short to smoke sh1tty cigars, and I enjoy listening to my buds bag on me for being such a pain in the ass.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #76
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Bah, 90% of statistics are wrong 83% of the time.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #77
REV
Still Watching My Back

First Name: David
Trading: (1)
REV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #78
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Old 02-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #79
Bad Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
At one point Simon...The Black Dragon story began in 2006 when it hit the market with the hefty price tag of $1,150.00 per cigar, the most expensive cigar ever made. Only 5 hand-carved camel bone boxes of 100 cigars were produced, making this stick very, very limited. Must have been paying for that hand-carved camel bone, because today the Black Dragon can be had (depending on vitola) for between $ 7.50 (robusto) to $ 17.50 (tubo).
But by creating 5 boxes that cost them a grand total of about $400, they got the entire cigar world to talk about them.

That's advertising you can't pay for.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #80
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

I don't hate Ghurka, much like, for example Harley Davidson. Most of it lies in marketing strategies. Hype the name to sell an "OK" product to people that don't know any better.

Would I pay $15000+ for a HD? Hell no. Bigger, better, cheaper out there.
Would I pay $3000 for a HD? Sure.

Would I pay $15+ for a Ghurka? Hell no. Bigger, better, cheaper out there.
Would I pay $3 for a Ghurka? Sure.

I tried "Cask Strength" and "Crest", liked them. They were okay.

You ride what you like, you smoke what you like, you do what you like! DC sends love, stop arguing .
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote