Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #21
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WSJ article on Verizon's Iphone?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
My biggest fear with Verizon getting the iphone is that they'll cripple the OS and screw up a wonderful thing so they can nickel dime everyone to death. ...
I USED to have a Verizon plan and they seemed to nickel and dime me to death. THey also only gave out refurbished phones when a new one went south, which may be the standard SOP for cell service companies but doesn't seem right either.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #22
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I USED to have a Verizon plan and they seemed to nickel and dime me to death. THey also only gave out refurbished phones when a new one went south, which may be the standard SOP for cell service companies but doesn't seem right either.
All the companies do this....I remember when I got a refurb....after two days of problems I complained to Verizon and they gave me a new phone right then and there.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #23
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

AT&T has the coverage you are looking for.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #24
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

IF and that's a big IF Verizon actually gets the Iphone I hope they don't ruin it will all their own software they they always package on every phone. But other than that I have never had any problems with their service.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #25
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim05 View Post
Internationally it's not Verizon or ATT that doesn't work properly, but rather the cellular technology. Almost all of the world operates on the GSM network like ATT and not on CDMA like Verizon.
HSPA and HSPA+, the 3G specs that both the iPhone 3G and 3Gs, use is also a world standard. GSM and CDMA are 2G technologies, however you're right in that North America picked and backed the wrong cellular standard (CDMA) which is why our phones didn't work anywhere else. HSPA and later 4G standards will change that though as there seems to be a concensus that moving forward everyone needs to implement the same standard technology. I'm really not sure how we ended up on CDMA instead of GSM anyways. As a general rule North America is typically 1 - 2yrs behind Europe, and 2 - 3 behind Oceania and Japan, in terms of cellular tech and adoption. How we ended up implementing a different initial standard is beyond me.

That said, I'm surprised Verizon doesn't have the iPhone right now. Both Bell (and their subsiduary Virgin Mobile) and Telus offer the iPhone on their CDMA and HSPA+ networks. One would imagine the same version would work for Verizon. Especially since I can't imagine Apple letting Verizon modify the device or OS at all since that's not the Apple Way (tm).

Last edited by mithrilG60; 03-31-2010 at 08:43 AM.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #26
kgoings
Cigarologist

kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
IF and that's a big IF Verizon actually gets the Iphone I hope they don't ruin it will all their own software they they always package on every phone. But other than that I have never had any problems with their service.
There is no Verizon software on the Droid that I know of
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #27
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
There is no Verizon software on the Droid that I know of
It is using Google's OS if I remember correctly.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #28
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
It is using Google's OS if I remember correctly.
That is correct, I was just stating that I don't think they packaged any software for the Droid.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
HSPA and HSPA+, the 3G specs that both the iPhone 3G and 3Gs, use is also a world standard. GSM and CDMA are 2G technologies, however you're right in that North America picked and backed the wrong cellular standard (CDMA) which is why our phones didn't work anywhere else. HSPA and later 4G standards will change that though as there seems to be a concensus that moving forward everyone needs to implement the same standard technology. I'm really not sure how we ended up on CDMA instead of GSM anyways. As a general rule North America is typically 1 - 2yrs behind Europe, and 2 - 3 behind Oceania and Japan, in terms of cellular tech and adoption. How we ended up implementing a different initial standard is beyond me.

That said, I'm surprised Verizon doesn't have the iPhone right now. Both Bell (and their subsiduary Virgin Mobile) and Telus offer the iPhone on their CDMA and HSPA+ networks. One would imagine the same version would work for Verizon. Especially since I can't imagine Apple letting Verizon modify the device or OS at all since that's not the Apple Way (tm).
There's lots of reasons in your post why I don't think Verizon will see the iphone. I'd definately bet against it, but some of the rumors are pretty well founded.
95 million users on iphones should bring Verizon's network to it's knees. Obviously they aren't going to put 95 million iphones in the user's hands the first year, but I'd be surprised if they didn't moved 15 to 20 million people into iphones the first year.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #30
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

My 3g is ready for upgrade about the time these new ones come out (bought my 3g the day after they were released). As long as AT&T keep selling iBones I'm a happy camper.

Here's why: I love my iBone more than any other smart phone I've owned. I would never picture myself owning any other phone now. (oddly enough I hate apple computers, go figure). I don't care for AT&T but I'll tell you this they have treated me much much better than verizon ever did. It's almost like I'm a human being to them or something.

Personaly I hope Verizon does get the iPhone, not exclusively of course, but I think it would be good. Make no doubt there are tons of people who want the iPhone but can't or don't want to switch cariers. There's no reason for a phone in this day and age to be tied to only one carier.

Just my $.02
Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #31
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

I recently switched to AT&T from Verizon Wireless due to my wife wanting an iPhone and I can't tell any difference in the coverage between AT&T and Verizon Wireless.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #32
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

I guess customer service depends on the individual, which is no the way it should be or course. I've been with Verizon now for a few years and haven't had any issues with their phone service or customer service.

My wife and I have Verizon FIOS at home so we do the One-Bill as well which is VERY convenient. I'm not saying they don't but I'm unsure if AT&T carries the same service.

One thing is for certain-my wife and I will wait about a 6 months - 1 year before we get an iPhone released with Verizon. Do you remember when iPhone was released with AT&T there were a few bugs and glitches. I believe there wiil be the same with Verizon. Give it time upon release to see those glitches be fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote