Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Which maduro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Camacho 11/18 Triple Maduro is high on my list when I'm reaching for a maduro.
That's a serious smokers Maduro! But you might want to take baby steps first. AF Maduro Maduro Rothchilds, SP Double Mad, Padron x000 Maduros.After you've tried those then you may want to step up to the Camacho Corojo Maduro, Camacho SLR Maduro or the King, the Camacho Triple Maduro!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #22
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
That's a serious smokers Maduro! But you might want to take baby steps first. AF Maduro Maduro Rothchilds, SP Double Mad, Padron x000 Maduros.After you've tried those then you may want to step up to the Camacho Corojo Maduro, Camacho SLR Maduro or the King, the Camacho Triple Maduro!

Hey he said he didn't want 'really mild either.'
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #23
Jimmy Robusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Never had a maduro?
Oh yeah, I've smoked countless maduros - have been a cigar junkie for almost 20 years - but the last few years I really lost my taste for maduros and have been heavily into sun grown and cameroon wrapped smokes. I've recently been toying with maduros again and those I listed at the bottom of my first post were close but not quite what I was hoping for. I used to smoke (many years back) the Onyx 852. Man, what a great smoke that was - before they came out with the reserve line. Those old original Onyx cigars were super earthy and rich. Not as smooth as the reserves of today but they had much more character. A cigar that tasted more like earthy spice (not pepper) wrapped in chocolate. They didn't have that strong "Cigar" taste but rather a milder incense-like taste like you get when smoking an Illusione Holy Lancero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Robusto View Post
Looking for rich, chocolatey, slightly sweet, earthy and incense-like but not terribly spicy...But not really mild either...
Not just any good maduro, but one bearing these qualities is what I seek
Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #24
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post

Never, ever recommend this stick.... It's getting hard as hell to find them. I have had to resort to useing people in other towns to hunt them down.

Thanks Gerard!
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #25
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I'm a fan of Padron 3000Ms and the Anniversary maduros!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #26
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
I really liked the Nestor Reserve Maduro. With a little age they were great. Also priced right. Sent a ton of them to the troops and they loved them.
Agreed. I got my first of these in a blind tasting and was surprised by the quality. It's no Padron but the price makes it a great everyday maduro. As PapaJohn notes, they're much better with some age on them.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #27
Beer Doctor

CAO gold maduro and RP vintage 92 fits the profile you seek imo.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #28
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Partagas Maximo!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #29
Made in Dade
The Freedom Tower

Trading: (0)
Made in Dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
All the Padrons.

The Londres Maduro is a favorite short smoke.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #30
SonsofClubDeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Partagas Maximo!!!
I concur and I add a Taboo Special Forces Boot Camp.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #31
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

To throw two more out there that I haven't seen posted yet, try a La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro, I prefer the 4, and a CAO Brazilia, which I prefer in the Gol! size.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #32
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

A few maduros I have enjoyed:

5 Vegas A
Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur
Camacho Triple Maduro
CAO Brazilia
Perdomo Lot 23
Perdomo Habano
Gran Habano VL
Gurkha Beast
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #33
shemp
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: clark
Trading: (0)
Partagas
shemp is on a distinguished road

I'm sure i'll be the only one sugessting this so don't let it slip bye un-noticed, a JL Salazar y Hermanos torpedo maduro from Cuban Crafters....yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #34
beatnik

IMO the cigar you described was a Padron but I would also HIGHLY recommend the new Oliva Maduro Serie V But it is said it is either a limited release or a seasonal release. So if you can get your hands on one DO it I myself have never had one I have had the Regular V and the blend is awesome the maduro can only make it better I think. If you want to follow raitings the Onyx Mini Belicoso scored a 94 and its cheap and a slight box press maduro I still think Padron would fit you better. The first one i ever smoked I thought it smelt like chocolate.

On the subject on maduro IMO it has been getting worse as more and more makers are dyeing them instead of fermenting them or dying them just to make them darker. To test just lick your finger and rub the stick lightly and see if your finger changes color real maduro will leave nothing. IT Super Fuerte Maduros are im my opinion are soaked in dye as when i smoked one of those once not only did it taste bad (to me) it make me look like i ate a melted chocolate bar not smoked a cigar. My lips and fingers were a reddish brown until i literally scrubbed myself clean. (think of a 2 year old eating a chocolate ice cream cone) but that face on a slightly bearded man LoL.

I cant think of all of them but here are a couple real maduro cigars

Fuentes
Ashtons
Padrons
Olivas

ahh cant think of many more i could list a lot more dyed than not so you get the picture. Personally I am not a Ashton admirer or a Fuente freak but you cant go wrong with the others.

If you don't want to break your budget and you dont mind coronas get the Padron Londres they are 5.5x42 from TnT for $59.95 and come in boxes of 27 if you are a robusto guy you can get the 2000s 5x50 from TnT for $77.95 I usually get my padrons from tnt because i haven't found a better price yet (the only thing i really order from them)

Last edited by beatnik; 10-21-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #35
ScottishSmoker

I absolutely LOVE the Padron Classic line in Maduro...and Natural...but, a cigar I have not seen mentioned yet...The La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro #7...FULL MADURO FLAVOR AND STRENGTH...I LOVE THEM!!!! Wait, I love ALL La Gloria Cubanas...regardless for some reason. Another one to consider, the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1 Maddie....classic Maduro....The La Riqueza Maduro is also a great great great great cigar to try!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 AM   #36
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Camacho 11/18 Triple Maduro is high on my list when I'm reaching for a maduro.
I have heard really good things about this cigar. Gonna give it a try myself soon I think.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #37
silentjon

Lots of good suggestions. Another one that I really enjoy is the CAO Black VR.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 AM   #38
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Partagas Black, Sancho Panza Double Maduro, or Rocky Patel Edge Maduro. You will like at least one of these!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #39
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Sabor Cubano
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #40
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer