Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #21
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: I had to reformat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post
Drat.

Really what games are you having a hard time with?

Sorry I wasn't able to help.
Most of my PC gaming is RTS, FPS. Rome TW, Medieval TW, Company of Heroes, CoD4, Crysis, Empire at war, pretty much all of my PC games don't work with it lol.

There is a list of games that work on wine. It isn't very big
Old 02-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #22
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurolover View Post
I have never run anything but Windows. I have also never had a virus or malware. Amazing what a little bit of vigilance can do for you.
cliches get old
Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #23
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

It would not boot normally, it ended up being on the blue screen of death. I started in safe mode, I tried probably at least 10 different tactics to try and resolve the situation and it did not work. Then I was going to reinstall ALL windows drives ONLY, however that part had errors and it then proceeded to reformat my entire C:/. I have a lot of stuff on my external, however I may have lost all your addresses =P
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:59 AM   #24
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Sorry Kev. If something like that ever happens to me I'm just done. I have no idea how to go in and retrieve and piece back together stuff. I'm just gonna throw my machine in the Gulf if and when it happens.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #25
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
It would not boot normally, it ended up being on the blue screen of death. I started in safe mode, I tried probably at least 10 different tactics to try and resolve the situation and it did not work. Then I was going to reinstall ALL windows drives ONLY, however that part had errors and it then proceeded to reformat my entire C:/. I have a lot of stuff on my external, however I may have lost all your addresses =P

For the future:

Remove hard drive.
Install new hard drive, format and install OS.
Install old drive as a slave or external.
Copy old files over to new drive.

If the old drive has no physical errors - after you are sure nothing is left on it - then reformat it and save in case something happens in the future or use as a slave/USB for daily backups.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #26
Ollie
It's gon RAIN

Trading: (5)
Ollie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
For the future:

Remove hard drive.

If the old drive has no physical errors - after you are sure nothing is left on it - then reformat it and save in case something happens in the future or use as a slave/USB for daily backups.

Ron

And get one of THESE.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #27
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
For the future:

Remove hard drive.

Ron
Great advice. As long as the drive is readable, you should never reformat if you have important files on the drive, rescue them first.

Another option is to have a linux live cd around that you can boot to and use as a rescue disk. Boot to cd, copy important HD files to usb, verify them, and only then do the fdisk/format.

What I also do is to clone the hard drive after all of the software and updates are installed on a clean installation. That way you can quickly get the computer up and running with very little work. I clone to an HD in an external enclosure, so a simple swap will get the computer running again.

File backups are something else, I backup modified files daily and take a backup home weekly. Old school, I run xcopy as a scheduled task or manually for the external.

I also have a portable at home that has the same software installed so if my desktop burned I would be able to work.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #28
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
Great advice. As long as the drive is readable, you should never reformat if you have important files on the drive, rescue them first.

Another option is to have a linux live cd around that you can boot to and use as a rescue disk. Boot to cd, copy important HD files to usb, verify them, and only then do the fdisk/format.

What I also do is to clone the hard drive after all of the software and updates are installed on a clean installation. That way you can quickly get the computer up and running with very little work. I clone to an HD in an external enclosure, so a simple swap will get the computer running again.

File backups are something else, I backup modified files daily and take a backup home weekly. Old school, I run xcopy as a scheduled task or manually for the external.

I also have a portable at home that has the same software installed so if my desktop burned I would be able to work.
Wha??
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #29
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Well I got most of everything set up and it's running better than it was before. Thanks for the advice, but it was not needed, I was just ranting and annoyed by the fact that I couldn't fix it in time. I know a great deal about computers so I got this =).
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #30
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Know how you feel....transfered all my data to my new laptop, formatted old one and sold it.....all my addys are AWOL!!!!

Today I had to reformatt desktop downstairs.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #31
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

It could be worse. My laptop and camera were stolen a few days after my honeymoon. I got all of the insurance money for a new laptop, but now I have this mental image of a POS thief looking through my honeymoon photo's.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote