Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Kudos to G. Loomis

So, this story begins in 1993 when a buddy gives me a G. Loomis 7 weight IM6 fly rod, with a hand-painted inscription on it commemorating my Ordination into the Office of the Holy Ministry. It was a rather expensive gift from a dear friend.

Well,, I cannot even figure how many Atlantic Salmon, Steelhead, Brown trout, Chinook, and Cohos have been caught on this rod. Many while used as a fly rod, and many times that number when I used it with a spinning reel to take people fishing for the same. Both my sons caught their first salmon with this stick as I hooked them and then passed the rod over to them - Nathan was 8 when he caught his, and Timothy was 6.

Well, in an unfortunate accident this summer, the female ferrule end on the top end was broken off. It was quite an emotional loss. I looked around and found no way to repair it as I looked at a couple of different shops - at least not in a manner that anybody would promise it would still have the same feel and touch when fished.

Then someone suggested I go to G. Loomis itself an talk to them. I could have sent it to them for repairs, and paid for them. It was suggested that repairs would run about $75 minimally. Or, I could go with the Xpeditor plan which gets you a brand spanking new rod. When I explained the damage to the customer service rep, he suggested the Xpeditor plan, for $100 they'd ship me a new stick replacing mine, and then I'd return mine to them in the tube they sent to me.

While I did not like the idea of losing the sentimental value, for when I told them the make and model number, they looked up my stick they stated they could not replace it, for it is no longer in production. BUT, they are sending me the 2014 equivalent, a G.Loomis PRO4x Single Hand Model 120-4.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/conte...mon/pro4x.html

I am stoked, for this is supposedly a much improved rod over the model I used for many years.

I am impressed with this program by G. Loomis.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 11-11-2014 at 09:59 PM.
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kudos to G. Loomis

Nice Todd....sorry about the rod
Old 11-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Todd, its tuff to loose a reliable fishing stick like this one, but it looks like you have some great customer service coming through from G.Loomis

Bottom line, I'd just blame Mike for the broken ferrule
Old 11-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear about the loss of your old rod. It's great the G.Loomis offers that program. I also think it's pretty cool that you got 21 years of service out of your old rod - says a lot of G.Loomis products. Hopefully the new one lasts as long too.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
pogoplace
Fishing and Smokin'

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
pogoplace is on a distinguished road

It's nice to see this post since I own a cigar shop in Evansville, IN AND the world's largest G. Loomis dealer (also in Evansville, IN). Our fishing store offers a "Zero Cost" warranty on all Loomis rods. Our cigar and tobacco shop is where my office is (surprise!). Any time we can assist with anything G. Loomis or fishing for that matter just let me know. Info on the Loomis rod warranty is here: http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com...ranty-program/ Smok'em if you got'em!
pogoplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Old 11-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogoplace View Post
It's nice to see this post since I own a cigar shop in Evansville, IN AND the world's largest G. Loomis dealer (also in Evansville, IN). Our fishing store offers a "Zero Cost" warranty on all Loomis rods. Our cigar and tobacco shop is where my office is (surprise!). Any time we can assist with anything G. Loomis or fishing for that matter just let me know. Info on the Loomis rod warranty is here: http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com...ranty-program/ Smok'em if you got'em!
I am gonna need you to send me a new rod to test for ya, thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
pogoplace
Fishing and Smokin'

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
pogoplace is on a distinguished road

Mikl, I will forward your request to the factory immediately!! LOL
pogoplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogoplace View Post
Mikl, I will forward your request to the factory immediately!! LOL
....I have St. Croix and Sage, can always use a Loomis
Old 11-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
Bubbleheaddiver
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ben
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Navy (Retired)
Bubbleheaddiver is on a distinguished road

time for me to pick one up
Bubbleheaddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

OK, the package arrived yesterday. It is a 4 piece 10' rod. I am supposed to send mine back in the same box. Mine is a 10.5' rod, but only 2 pieces. Not quite sure how I am supposed to get it in this box. I will call them tomorrow and find out how they want me to do this.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
OK, the package arrived yesterday. It is a 4 piece 10' rod. I am supposed to send mine back in the same box. Mine is a 10.5' rod, but only 2 pieces. Not quite sure how I am supposed to get it in this box. I will call them tomorrow and find out how they want me to do this.
Break it into 4 pieces or send it to me and I'll do it (again)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Break it into 4 pieces or send it to me and I'll do it (again)
Just got off the phone with the folks at G. Loomis to explain this dilemma. The service rep said, "What I'm going to need you to do is to break it into 4 pieces so that it will fit into the shipping container." I sat silent for a moment. I asked, "Seriously? You want me to break it into 4 pieces?"
"Yes sir, break it into 4 pieces."

I hung up the phone, and went to go get the rod to break it. As I grabbed it, I literally began to cry. I put the rod down and pulled up a few pictures from fishing trips. I am ashamed to say that the waterworks flowed.

Was this over the rod? Not at all. Nathan's away at college... Tim is in his senior year of HS and looking at colleges. For 12 years we would go over to Algoma/Kewaunee area and fish the salmon run. For 8 years, we would get there on a Sunday afternoon, get our hotel room, fish hard and come home Tuesday night. There were a couple years in which fall sports made it difficult. Last year, Tim couldn't go, so I picked up Nathan at UW-Madison and we took the trip over to the Racine area, but it was a weekend trip with us going to church someplace and me having the day off. And this fall, we did not take any sort of Salmon trip, because I was laid up after surgery.

So, I sat looking at pictures, glancing at that fishing pole, and realizing that this looks like the end of an era. I tried to claim that the last few years were simply flukes. But it truly is the end of a tradition and the loss of innocence.

Maybe breaking this rod and sending it on will help me to prepare for the empty nest that is soon coming my way. But I do not want to. I want those days back! I want my boys to be "boys" again. And yet, I am proud of what they have become.

Hmmm, who'd have thought a silly fishing pole would bring such things on?

Peace of the Lord be with you.