Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for Tangy Cold Slaw Recipe

I am looking for a good recipe for a Tangy Cold Slaw. In NC they use it on BB'q pork sandwiches that is not wet/creamy with mayo but dryer and tangy. Any help would be appreciated as I have found some really good cooking tips shared here.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for Tangy Cold Slaw Recipe

They call that vinegar slaw. That oughta help you find some recipes.
I never make slaw, but I eat it everywhere I go. I love it. I even love bad cole slaw.
The only thing that can really screw up cole slaw is bad cabbage. When it tastes like dirt and old mold, it really takes the wee-yoo out of the cole slaw.
I grow cabbage in the garden and pick it in December for Haluski and pigs and stuff like that. Once the snow lands on the cabbage it gets super sweet, and I can't get enough. I don't even like cabbage, so go figure?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

By the way Excuse my spelling was not paying attention to what I was doing - coleslaw or cole slaw.

I don't like cooked cabbage but like it raw.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

I had some store bought slaw the other day that was of this variety and was very flavorful. I normally don't like store bought salads, but we were in a hurry. It was made by Resers, and was very tangy. Had it on a sandwich with some smoked turkey and pepperjack cheese all on good sourdough bread. Some good eating there!

Last edited by Gophernut; 06-24-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I live in NC and have had about 20+ different types of slaw. Slaw for burgers, KFC slaw, BBQ slaw, and many different variants of the above posted.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=2131

Best slaw I have had. They use mustard, celery seed, vinegar and cabbage. Wish I knew the exact proportions....
Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Hey, never noticed this thread until now. Here's my recipe that I've brought to herfs many times...

------------
----
Coleslaw Recipe:
Group A:
1 head of cabbage, about 1.5-1.75 lbs, cored and shredded
1 medium red onion shredded fine
1 cup refined white sugar

Group B:
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (do not use canola or corn oil)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (reduce to 3/4 teaspoon if using table salt)
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon refined white sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons whole brown mustard seed
1-1/2 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seed

Preparing Group A
Place cabbage and onion in large bowl, pour cup of sugar over the top, toss all ingredients well to ensure that all are evenly coated with the sugar. Cover bowl/seal tupperware, place in refrigerator.

Preparing Group B
Using a mortar and pestle, coarsely crush/crack both the brown and yellow mustard seeds, you don't have to pulverize them, nor is it necessary to get every single one. If you have a small mortar, you might have to do them in batches.

Once the mustard seeds have been cracked, add them, along with all other ingredients from group B into a non-reactive saucepan that has a tight fitting lid. Bring to boil, stirring a bit to dissolve the sugar and salt, then reduce to simmer and place lid on saucepan. Simmer for 3 minutes and remove from heat. Using a spatula to leave no mustard seed behind, pour the sauce/dressing into a pyrex measuring cup or other heat proof container, cover with saran wrap, place in refrigerator to cool completely and then some - about 1-1/2 to 2 hours or so.

After the dressing is cool, you'll probably notice that cabbage has sweat down to about 50% of it's original bulk and there is puddle of cabbage water at the bottom of the container - this is normal and desirable. Pour dressing over the top, stir/toss and return to the refrigerator overnight (8-12 hours) for best flavor.

If you wish to reduce oil, you could probably cut back to about 1/3 of a cup oil, but you probably don't want to go much lighter than that, or you'll end up with a sweet sauerkraut rather than coleslaw.

-------

Couple of notes -
Use vegetable oil. I know that canola oil is a common kitchen staple for most, but don't substitute as canola oil doesn't take well to the boiling and it ends up tasting kind of gross (at least it did when I tried it).

If you like tiny bit more of a mustard flavor, you can up the amount of seeds or add a teaspoon or two of a simple brown mustard (like Goulden's - just make sure it does not have horseradish, or beer, or honey or chardonnay or any of that fancy gourmet stuff in it).
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote