Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default the Diesel Shorty.

Just smoked one of these puppies that was gifted to me by Mario when i was out in Cali. Not a fan of maduro's at all but i was in the mood to try something new.. really new (seeing as i haven't smoked a maddy in at least a good year or so). This thing knocked my socks off.

Mario told me the first inch or so you can taste its youth, which was very true. Still very young and green (not that that's a bad thing at all it was actually quiet nice). He said after an inch or so it really picks up. I swear right as i hit the 1inch mark it hit. And it REALLY hit.

The middle of this cigar was extremely delicious. Maybe its cause the RG was so large the filler balanced the maduro wrapper to my liking. But usually i find the maddy wrappers give it too much of a chocolately/cocoa flavor.

Towards the end it starting picking up a littler heavier hints of the cocoa and a little bit of salt (i blame mario for this. he sent me a text saying an AVO he had managed to blend the salt with the cream really well. Right as he told me that i picked up tones of salt!).

Burn was good
Draw was flawless
Construction was pretty good

I would definitely smoke this cigar again... kinda makes me want to go pick up a couple of other maddys to see if it was just this one or maybe my taste buds changing on me.

I'll upload some pics when i can manage to find my cable in my box of unpacked stuff.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: the Diesel Shorty.

Thanks for the review! I agree, the Shorty I smoked was on par with the original Diesel. Love these cheap smokes!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
I would definitely smoke this cigar again... kinda makes me want to go pick up a couple of other maddys to see if it was just this one or maybe my taste buds changing on me.

Nice review! I'm glad this stick was to your liking.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!!! Love the Diesels...gotta get around to grabbing some Shortys.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post

Nice review! I'm glad this stick was to your liking.
don't get any ideas! I have some .... things.... coming in the mail that i could easily add to your already package
Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
mariogolbee

Quote:
don't get any ideas! I have some .... things.... coming in the mail that i could easily add to your already package
Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
hmm so many options of what else to add to the package... maybe i need a bigger box...
Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I got a shorty in the sunshine state pass. I agree good stick!!!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
mariogolbee

Quote:
hmm so many options of what else to add to the package... maybe i need a bigger box...
Darn you!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I agree. I love Diesel, both vitolas. The Shorty seemed a little bolder than the UC. Great inexpensive smoke.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

hmm damnit.. my goto smoke list keeps getting bigger and bigger.. it was nice and simple before. The point of my go-to list was when i can't make up my mind i just grab one.. but now its like which go-to stick do i want? life is hard.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

It was salty because Mario stores his smokes down his shorts. That's just how he rolls.

Nice review btw. Still have to smoke the one I got. Looking forward to trying it.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
It was salty because Mario stores his smokes down his shorts. That's just how he rolls.

Nice review btw. Still have to smoke the one I got. Looking forward to trying it.
both him and ahbroody... no one can figure out why except the fact it makes the smoke as brown as well.. lets say one end of the stick went a little toooo far.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
I agree. I love Diesel, both vitolas. The Shorty seemed a little bolder than the UC. Great inexpensive smoke.
...I loved the Shorty that you bombed my a$$ with Doug.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
RCS44
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryne
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
RCS44 is on a distinguished road

never have tried one of these, but really really want to. Great review, they sound really good. I am a huge maduro fan
RCS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I have only smoked a couple of the shortys, but have really liked them.