Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Cuban rounds robusto

I got this cigar from a friend in a trade and did some research because I never heard of the brand before. It turns out that it is a Nicaraguan short filler for JR Cigars with a binder and filler from Cuban seed tobacco with an EMS wrapper. A bundle of 40 of these robustos will set you back 60 dollars.

The cigar is a bit shorter than the 5 inch the JR website claims it is, it measured 4¾x50. The wrapper is dark and dry with a few thin veins. The construction feels good and I smell a tiny bit of wood. The predraw is fine and I taste dry raisin. The band is a complete Cohiba rip-off.

The first flavor I taste reminds me of dry autumn leaves with some wood, the flavors are a bit musty. I also taste a little bit of sweet chocolate.

After a third I taste more chocolate with some wood and after two thirds the flavors change into a dry but smooth wood with some herbs and sweet chocolate.

This cigar lasted me for an hour and ten minutes, which is not bad for a short filler robusto. I got a medium thick grey smoke. The draw and the burn are good, while the gray ash is quite firm. This cigar is medium bodied and medium flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? Nah, don't think so, although they are dirt cheap so they could be nice yardgars

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cuban rounds robusto

I get them mainly because they arent too much. they do have a peppery taste to me. kinda like a spicy bbq taste. not bad for 2 bucks
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review Ferdi. Nice looking color on the ash...

Old 11-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Nice review