Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
John Ellefsen
Just in from the Storm

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
John Ellefsen is on a distinguished road
Default Second hand humidor.

Hi!
So, I guess it's time for my first post in here.
I'm pretty new to cigars, at least new to the fact that I never had my own humidor before.
So when I got a box of some really nice cigars for my birthday I finally got the reason I needed to buy myself a humidor. I went "all the way" and got me a Adorini Chianti Deluxe. It's a really sweet humdior and it's supposed to hold 100 sticks.
Wel,, it's up and running and everything is honky dory.

Then...I found this online cigarshop that has some really good deals on cigars and I start buying boxes of cigars instead of singels. The Adorini can't hold boxes of cigars so I went and bought a second hand humi on the Norwegian version of ebay.

I got the humi in the mail today, and man have I been screwed!

Here's some pics of the humi:

Looks great huh?

One thing is for sure. I can season this for years, but I would never put my sticks or boxes of sticks in this one.

Problem numero uno: The humi is far from airtight. I can actually see through the gaps that appears when I close the door.

Problem 2: This box really smells. And I'm not talking about the sweet smell of cedar or cigars. the old humidificationsystem was still inside it and it contained a wet spunge. The humidor has been stored with this wet spunge inside it for years I reckon and hence the smell.

I have aired out the humidor and also placed a cup of bakingsoda inside it. Maybe I can get rid of that awful smell.

So what do you fine folks think? Is there any hope? Is there a good way to get this thing airtight again and finally, is there any good way to actually find out if the interior is cedar at all?

The brand of this humidor is Humidor Stars.

I have a feeling this humidor is beyond fixing, so right now I have a few of my guitars up for sale so I can get my hands on this one:
http://www.augusto.no/Shop/Product/A...luxe/NHA-CABAF
John Ellefsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Second hand humidor.

Problem #1: Use painters (masking) tape on the lips to create a good seal. If it's very severe, you can try weather stripping.

Problem #2: I learned this trick from Shilala: Pour ammonia in a cup and let it sit in there for a week or so. It resurrected my ACID infested humidor. Good luck!
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum, John. I don't know anything about the second humidor you linked to, but in my limited experience, I would avoid the glass.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Go with a good cooler until you figure things out.They work excellent.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I have to echo what Tri-Shield said, I would get an ice chest and think about it for awhile.
Every smoker needs a good desktop humidor to house his cigars that are ready for smoking.
What they should use to store their boxes, and those cigars not intended for smoking in the
upcoming weeks and months is a good-sealing ice chest. You can store the full size boxes
or some nice cedar boxes of singles. This is not just a cost-effective solution, it is a sensible one
as well. It is distilled from the knowledge of years of spending on humidors and the eventual
realization that you only really need one good desktop, unless you also want a small one for
the office.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the pics.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
John Ellefsen
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I don't see the pics.
I see them. Could it be an option/add-on in your browser that prevents them from showing?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
John Ellefsen
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Thanks for the advice people.
I'm seriously considering the coolidor option or maybe the wineodor option.
So I'll just try to give this humi lots of fresh air, season it and just see how it goes.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Cigar Mike
Thankful.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (2)
Montecristo CoastGuard (Deployed)
Cigar Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ellefsen View Post
I see them. Could it be an option/add-on in your browser that prevents them from showing?
Neither ECJ nor I can see them, either. Two different computers, different browsers, different operating systems, different ISPs. I'll poke at this for a bit longer and see if I can figure out why not...
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
John Ellefsen
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Computers, browers and ISP works in mysterious ways
You can also check out my photoalbum I have here, perhaps you can see the pics there?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Cigar Mike
Thankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ellefsen View Post
Computers, browers and ISP works in mysterious ways
You can also check out my photoalbum I have here, perhaps you can see the pics there?
True dat, brother....

Well, going to your album, I could at least see the thumbnails, although not the full-sized versions. I'm chalking it up to some voodoo going on with the forum software.

Overall, that looks like a handsome humidor, but I can't see enough detail to really lay eyes on the problems you described.

If you're feeling adventurous, it might be possible to build a new ceder lining on the inside and seal things up a little bit with some felt, weatherstripping, or adhesive magnetic strips, depending on what you think might work best. Thin ceder panels can be purchased through specialty wood shops. (I was about to throw a bone to my favorite online retailer, but they don't seem to have spanish ceder on their webpage anymore.) I like to resurrect things like this, though, but it might turn into more work than it's worth, depending on how bad things really are.

Also, I know there's some pretty strong opinions out there about the use of glass panels on humidors, and most of them seem to lean to the "don't do it" direction. I'm curious, though....if you were already committed to doing a rebuild on this, maybe take the glass out, and have a UV-blocking layer added by a local tinting shop? I wonder if that might help alleviate some of the problems people describe about using glass? Don't know, just guessing...
Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
True dat, brother....

Well, going to your album, I could at least see the thumbnails, although not the full-sized versions. I'm chalking it up to some voodoo going on with the forum software.

Overall, that looks like a handsome humidor, but I can't see enough detail to really lay eyes on the problems you described.

If you're feeling adventurous, it might be possible to build a new ceder lining on the inside and seal things up a little bit with some felt, weatherstripping, or adhesive magnetic strips, depending on what you think might work best. Thin ceder panels can be purchased through specialty wood shops. (I was about to throw a bone to my favorite online retailer, but they don't seem to have spanish ceder on their webpage anymore.) I like to resurrect things like this, though, but it might turn into more work than it's worth, depending on how bad things really are.

Also, I know there's some pretty strong opinions out there about the use of glass panels on humidors, and most of them seem to lean to the "don't do it" direction. I'm curious, though....if you were already committed to doing a rebuild on this, maybe take the glass out, and have a UV-blocking layer added by a local tinting shop? I wonder if that might help alleviate some of the problems people describe about using glass? Don't know, just guessing...
The problem with glass is not actually the glass its self but most inexpensive or poorly made humidors have no sealant between the glass and wood frame leading to a bad seal.
A bad seal can look like this.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Cigar Mike
Thankful.

Ha! I'll bet the really bad ones have lots of bad tats and an unhealthy interest in your daughter.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

good to use baking soda first. Do not use ammonia. You'll just have another smell to get rid of. Best way to bring back the nice smell of Spanish cedar is to lightly sand all the interior surfaces with a very fine 200+ grit sandpaper. Lightly sanding all the surfaces of the Spanish cedar will remove the oxidized wood fibers and allow the natural oils to be smelled again. See if that works for you. LMK

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
John Ellefsen
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Update:
I tried the ammonia. Now I have two kinds of odors I'm up against
So, now I'm going to turn this humidor into a project. It's time for a serious overhaul. First I'll try to sand it down a bit and I wil also tro to make the box more airtight. It's always good to have something to do besides smoking cigars right?

I reckon it's going to take a while before this humdior is up and running again (if ever) so I just got hold of another Adorini where I can store my babies.
Look at this sweet thing:

This one stores about 300 sticks and should do just fine until I have a cooli or wineador set up.

Keep on keeping on folks!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #16
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

Aye, after the ammonia treatment I aired it out for a day and was good to go. Thread is here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53328

Good luck.
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

John...I have one similar to that which I use as my desktop (in addition to the three vinos) and it holds up like a champ. Throw some Shilala beads in it and she's good to go.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
John Ellefsen
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Looks like a really nice humidor

So heres a new update on the the "old" humidor.
As you all know I tried the ammonia trick yesterday. Today I sanded it lightly with 200 paper. It actually revealed some good cedarsmell, but after a short while the good ole smell of ammonia came back.
I'm letting it vent out for a couple of days now, but I think this humidor can be fixed. I don't know if I'm ever going to use this one, but I just can't seem to leave broken things alone. If it's broken, fix it

Oh, I took out the hygrometer today. The glass is broken and it looks really bad. I took the old salt-test on it and I have never seen a more accurate reading. It was reading 75 after 9 hours in a ziplockbag with salt and water.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
pedro
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Peter
pedro is on a distinguished road

Humidoro is a not bad supplier for Humidors and based in germany, deffo well worth a look I have a 300 count 7 drawer on the way from them just now.
pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
John...I have one similar to that which I use as my desktop (in addition to the three vinos) and it holds up like a champ. Throw some Shilala beads in it and she's good to go.

Hey Mac, so much for bringing back a dead thread huh? My wife bought me one of these humidors for Christmas, I'm glad to hear you're happy with it. I'm thinking it might need a hand sealing up though. There is a small gap around the door, maybe the latch wasn't installed properly? I don't know, also the weather stripping has a gap where the latch is. Both of these I plan on fixing by installing better, thicker weather stripping. I'm also thinking about running some silicone around the glass to insure it seals well.

It's good to hear you're happy with your humidor, it certainly is a nice looking unit.