Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Don
Trading: (2)
junkinduck is on a distinguished road
Default Need help selecting a wireless router

I have had an old hand me down router for several years that has quit working. I am going to replace it but with what? I don't know anything about G and N. Google search just confuses the issue.
My needs:
I have a two year old acer netbook, Wii, and iPhone. In the future mabe an iPad and/or notebook.
Wants but not necessary:
USB for printer or mass storage
Like to be in the 50$ area.
All help appricated.
junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need help selecting a wireless router

TP-Link has impressed me recently, great products cheap! It does not have the USB but will handle any future N devices you may add...

Base - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704051
More Advanced - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704030
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Don
Trading: (2)
junkinduck is on a distinguished road

Bought a 49.99 netgear from walmrt. Working fine. not all that I wanted but I scored a 50.00 gift card the other day from work so it was like being free.
junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
moosie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Eric
Trading: (0)
HdM
moosie is an unknown quantity at this point

Netgear WNR 3500L. Check'em out at Amazon. "300N"
moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkinduck View Post
Bought a 49.99 netgear from walmrt. Working fine. not all that I wanted but I scored a 50.00 gift card the other day from work so it was like being free.
Sweet deal then!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Some info that may help you about Wireless G vs N and other tidbits.

G vs. N: Wireless-N is a waste unless you run ALL 802.11n devices in what is known as "N-Only Mode". There is a specific setting for this in the router's programming, which prevents any non-N device from communicating with the router (as opposed to "Mixed Mode", which allows older G devices to communicate as well as the newer N devices). There aren't many devices now that aren't wireless N, so an N router offers future room for increased performance( if it is in your budget).

When a router talks to a client over a wireless connection (your computer, iPhone, printer, whatever), it talks to the device at the best speed it can manage. However, when you mix slower (wireless G) and faster devices (wireless N), the connection speed is often bogged down trying to communicate because the router is constantly changing communication methods, thereby slowing down the faster devices (I'm simplifying this greatly for ease of understanding, it's way more complicated than that). Consider it similar to you and a few friends are talking in your native language (the faster one for you) and one guy is trying to talk in another language (the slower one). The whole conversation will slow as you try and communicate in two languages.

Unfortunately, you're going to get what you pay for when it comes to routers. Generally it is considered that Cisco/Linksys is the best consumer brand router to buy as it offers the most bang for the buck for the Average Joe. Netgear and Buffalo offer some good products that have more advanced options (although sometimes the restrict other useful ones), but typically to get the most out of any router, it requires more advanced knowledge of settings and firmware than anyone really has any need for.

In the end, I would search your pockets long and hard, and buy yourself a Linksys E3000. This is about one of the best consumer grader routers you can find (easily in stores as well as online), and the Linksys firmware is easy to understand and work with to set your router up. The built in antennas in this model are great for getting good signal coverage, especially if you use the 5GHz band in "N-Only Mode".

Just me , but I use one at home and tweaked it so I drown out any competing wireless signals from around my apartment
Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
In the end, I would search your pockets long and hard, and buy yourself a Linksys E3000. This is about one of the best consumer grader routers you can find (easily in stores as well as online), and the Linksys firmware is easy to understand and work with to set your router up. The built in antennas in this model are great for getting good signal coverage, especially if you use the 5GHz band in "N-Only Mode".

Just me , but I use one at home and tweaked it so I drown out any competing wireless signals from around my apartment
This is what I have as well. Great router.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote