Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Non Lethal Self Protection Advice

Recently my inlaws were having issues with a deranged neighbor coming on to their property at night and vandalizing random things as well as petty theft. After numerous incidents they installed a camera system. Well this oh so bright individual tried to steal one of the cameras and even pointed it at his face while pulling it off the wall of the garage. He was arrested the next morning and is still sitting in jail because no one will bail him out...

Well after the arrest they learned more about this individual and he has quite a rap sheet, mostly assault. Most of those assaults were on former neighbors (he moves around a lot). Turns out he has some sort of mental disorder and is not a likely person to learn his lesson while in prison. So if he were released there is chance he would retaliate.

They own guns but my mother in law isn't sure she wants to have to carry in here own yard but feels she would carry a taser or something else that is non lethal and wants something for when she is home alone. She says she is not sure she could bring herself to shoot and kill.

So my question is what would be the asylum's advise for non lethal protection?
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Non Lethal Self Protection Advice

There isn't a really good non lethal deterrent that she can safely use from a distance, and I wouldn't recommend allowing this POS to get that close.

Shooting him in the leg or the crotch isn't likely to kill him, but it should make him stop doing whatever he's doing and maybe think twice before bothering ladies who are home alone.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
There isn't a really good non lethal deterrent that she can safely use from a distance, and I wouldn't recommend allowing this POS to get that close.

Shooting him in the leg or the crotch isn't likely to kill him, but it should make him stop doing whatever he's doing and maybe think twice before bothering ladies who are home alone.
I agree but she was insistent I find her info on alternatives
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I use and have the gf carry Fox lab 5.3 for pepper spray. I had a tazer before but felt it was just a pain in the butt, ended up being more of a dust collector so i ended up[ selling it. And remember you only get one shot with the tazer then it becomes a close contact type of thing.

I use fox 5.3 because it seems to be the hottest at 5.3 mill shu, while others i have seen only go up to 2.5mil or even 3mil.

edit to add:

when i purchase pepper spray, i only get stream type sprays

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=SD112

Last edited by bonjing; 07-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

http://www.udap.com/product.htm

Has a range of around 30 ft.

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

forgot to add, since he has a mental disorder and has had scuffles in the past, he may have gotten used to getting OC'd.

just something to keep in mind
Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

Pepper spray works on most people, but not all. Look into getting a restraining order on the guy. Sure, it's just a piece of paper and it can't stop a determined psycho, but at least the cops can arrest him on the spot for violating it (assuming Georgia law is similar to California). Best wishes to your family members, Albert... that's a bad situation

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry to keep posting, but stuff works slowly in my head.

Like heavyd said, OC is not an end all but may help get the person out of the situation. If anyone has been OC'd majority will tell you they can still fight through it although uncomfortably and possibly not as effective.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

How about a steel whip baton - if they are legal in your state. It does not take a whole lot of arm strength to put a serious hurting on someone.

Example Here

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd View Post
Pepper spray works on most people, but not all. Look into getting a restraining order on the guy. Sure, it's just a piece of paper and it can't stop a determined psycho, but at least the cops can arrest him on the spot for violating it (assuming Georgia law is similar to California). Best wishes to your family members, Albert... that's a bad situation
Dunno about Georgia law, but Louisiana law gives a lot of leeway to use lethal force if a restraining order is violated intentionally.

For the average person, shooting someone anywhere but center of mass is simply not an option. Despite hours and hours of training, and no matter how good a shot you might be, you simply cannot predict the human reaction to the presence of an immediate threat. I heard of a rookie cop that got into a shootout, blasted over 40 rounds into the side of a car and the house behind it and completely missed the guy sitting in the driver's seat from less than 20 feet. Adrenaline dumps will cause all that training and accuracy to go to complete waste if you've never experienced one before.

The best thing is to simply be smart. Carry your non-lethal goodies, but also observe common safety tips. Don't go out at night if it's unnecessary, always travel in pairs when coming or going (or be on the phone with someone), watch each others' backs when you are out. If he crosses into your property, go back inside immediately and call the police. Avoid him if you see him in public, and check with a lawyer or the city prosecutor/DA to see if there's a legal way to force him to move after repeated violations and a restraining order.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

If he gets too close, tell her a pair of visegrips to the jewels will slow him down as long as they are tight.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I got nothin for ya Albert, but if he stays in jail long enough, it's unlikely that he'll have a home to move back to, and he'll likely relocate, being that's what he's done in the past.
Make sure your mil has whatever she needs, but having to carry a weapon in your own yard is no way to live.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

self awareness whit ones one space is the best protection and your right there are a lot of nuts out there hope it all works out
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I think a short visit with an attorney familiar with Georgias laws regarding Use of Force, Castle Doctrine (if it even applies), and lethal and non-lethal alternatives and consequences may very well be whatever the hour or two might cost you, Albert.

Especially with what your in-laws might face on either side of that unstable equation.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

Depending on his mental illness, I would not take this lightly and would

1) Stay in touch with authorities to make sure you know when he is released.
2) As already mentioned here, pepper sprays may not work well for several reason, one being mental rage.
3) A tazor will always work, no way around this, out bodies are all the same.
4) Check the law, it lethal force is allowed, use it. He may have multiple assaults but you do not want to be the family where he ratchets things up! I hate guns but stuff like this... well there are exceptions to everything and this is one of them.

Batons, whips, sticks, etc... if your folks are not physically able, especially your mom, they are probably not the best solution. I would advise your parents if he is released not to be alone... go everywhere together, garden together, etc.

Good luck man, this is really terrible... a home is supposed to be your safe place.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

how about a bean bag round for a shotgun? it'll stop without killing him.

http://www.keepshooting.com/ammuniti...nd-shotgun.htm

or how about a stun baton? 800,000 volts!!
http://www.selfdefenseweapons.com/stun-baton.htm

or you could go old fashioned with some kind of mean dog or gator
Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
sodomanaz

bear traps
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #18
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

another note, and not a pleasant one to think about...

If your MiL is close enough for a baton/contact stun gun/etc.... it is far too close. Depending on physical abilities of the aggressor and the victim, within 21 feet is the danger zone, and that is less than you think. Use the police and the justice system for every possible transgression to build a case, even the little stuff, it could help them in the future as being a "reluctant participant" should any violence take place. De-escalation of any possible situation would be the proper action, even if it hampers your families quality of life for a short time, because the alternatives, if this neighbor is mentally unstable, are not acceptable.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #19
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Tranquilizer Gun
Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 AM   #20
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

The problem with the non lethal options are that they are generally single shot and/or require you to get too close to their intended target. This person is a rabid animal and there is only one solution; deadly force. If your MIL would feel better about it, have her get a 28 ga shotgun and use that instead of the 12 ga. This will stop the target and would be considered to be more survivable. A well trained personal protection dog would be another option. German shepards or Bouviers are the more stable breeds for this purpose.