Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough
Default Cigar Monster Prices Recently

Anyone else feel like the prices at CM aren't really deals anymore? They have a fiver of Camacho Ttiple Maduro Robustos for $42. Am I missing something here? That can't be right.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: Cigar Monster Prices Recently

Looks that way. Regular Famous price is $3.01 more. Not much of a discount. Cigar Page regular price is only 35.00.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Atlantic $22.95
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Agree with above.

In fact, maybe just me, but NC deals have evaporated all over the interwebs. I blame a bunch of things:
-conglomerates and reduced competition
-FDA rules, fears, pending rules, etc.
-Cuban cigars are coming to the US legal market...IDK when, but it is going to happen and I would not be surprised if NC retailers and wholesalers are looking to increase margins out front
-MAP and MSRP; MFR price fixing is affecting the entire NC market, I believe
Old 06-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
mahtofire14

Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Agree with above.

In fact, maybe just me, but NC deals have evaporated all over the interwebs. I blame a bunch of things:
-conglomerates and reduced competition
-FDA rules, fears, pending rules, etc.
-Cuban cigars are coming to the US legal market...IDK when, but it is going to happen and I would not be surprised if NC retailers and wholesalers are looking to increase margins out front
-MAP and MSRP; MFR price fixing is affecting the entire NC market, I believe
Old 06-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I NEVER really thought that Cigar Monster prices were ever that good. They would throw something up on the Monster, and I'd check a couple other sites, and the monster price was invariable higher than at least 1 or 2 other sites.

All Famous was ever good for were their own Nicaraguan Selection blends. And then, those kind of petered out in regard to quality.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
mahtofire14

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I NEVER really thought that Cigar Monster prices were ever that good. They would throw something up on the Monster, and I'd check a couple other sites, and the monster price was invariable higher than at least 1 or 2 other sites.

All Famous was ever good for were their own Nicaraguan Selection blends. And then, those kind of petered out in regard to quality.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I used to find some decent deals back when it had just started. But it's gotten to be a joke lately. Todd I agree Famous has never really done much for me either. Along with their auction site as well.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:44 AM   #8
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Agree with above.

Not for a few more years Dave, too many legal issues and not even considering the Trump administration ready to turn the decisions Obama made on Cuba back to a full embargo again.

A few brand names are owned by Altadis, Altadis is also 50% owner of Habanos, those brands won't be an issue but General Cigars owns a few too, including Cohiba. They won't give those up without a fight. Then comes the copyright, for example Sanj's Smoke Shop owns the rights for the Cohiba logo (the yellow with the black & white squares), so that's another legal fight unless he accepts a huge offer from Habanos. Then there is the issue of Cuban tobacco only available to Habanos, that could be considered a monopoly, which is against USA regulations, so another fight/issue. Don't expect Cuban cigars legally on the US market any time soon.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
mahtofire14

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Not for a few more years Dave, too many legal issues and not even considering the Trump administration ready to turn the decisions Obama made on Cuba back to a full embargo again.

A few brand names are owned by Altadis, Altadis is also 50% owner of Habanos, those brands won't be an issue but General Cigars owns a few too, including Cohiba. They won't give those up without a fight. Then comes the copyright, for example Sanj's Smoke Shop owns the rights for the Cohiba logo (the yellow with the black & white squares), so that's another legal fight unless he accepts a huge offer from Habanos. Then there is the issue of Cuban tobacco only available to Habanos, that could be considered a monopoly, which is against USA regulations, so another fight/issue. Don't expect Cuban cigars legally on the US market any time soon.
This is a good thing in my mind. All I see is lower quality to meet an incredibly large demand.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
sigsauer
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (63)
Partagas
sigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura about

Go atlantic!
sigsauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #11
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

Cigarpage has killer deals now and then--and don't forget to check the Holts clearance section and daily deals.

As mentioned here Atlantic also has some excellent deals from time to time.

If CI and Cigarmonster don't want to play well with others that is their call.

The deals can be found--with a bit of patience.
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

There are usually only a few brands I find on the Monster with savings enough to get them, some Perdomo and Undercrown for example. I did score a box of Nortenos a few weeks ago for over 25% off.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough

I've been out of cigars for quite some time but trying to pick it up a little more often with a co-worker.

With that being said, a couple days ago I grabbed a fiver of Oliva Serie V for $26 shipped off CM. That's a good deal, right?

Keeping my eyes open now for some Undercrown robustos.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #14
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

First Name: Michael
Trading: (8)
SP
Alpedhuez55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
There are usually only a few brands I find on the Monster with savings enough to get them, some Perdomo and Undercrown for example. I did score a box of Nortenos a few weeks ago for over 25% off.
Cigar Bid seems to be putting up a lot of lots of Nortenos in both boxes and fivers. I got a box of Bellicoso Fino for $52 a couple of weeks back as well as a fiver of the same for $25. They have the larger sizes as well.

I have had luck on Camacho's there too with fivers of the American Barrel Aged for $20-25. Camachos there never seem to get close to retail. Bidding is just a pain.

Cigar monster deals are so so at best. Sometimes they have some good closeouts on the Famous site.
Alpedhuez55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #15
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

First Name: Michael
Trading: (8)
SP
Alpedhuez55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpedhuez55 View Post
Cigar Bid seems to be putting up a lot of lots of Nortenos in both boxes and fivers. I got a box of Bellicoso Fino for $52 a couple of weeks back as well as a fiver of the same for $25. They have the larger sizes as well.

I have had luck on Camacho's there too with fivers of the American Barrel Aged for $20-25. Camachos there never seem to get close to retail. Bidding is just a pain.

Cigar monster deals are so so at best. Sometimes they have some good closeouts on the Famous site.
I post this yesterday and today I buy a box of 10 Herrera Estali Toro Tubos for $59. The fivers of toros were $29.42 at Cigar Page sale, so price wise it was a wash, but presentation wise, I will have the box and tubes.
Alpedhuez55 is offline   Reply With Quote