Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

First Name: Ed
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough
Default Waxing Moon News

And then the new Waxing Moon "Box Shop".... lol

All set up and functioning..... really worked on the workflow plan and it's awesome!

Here's the building - needs paint, and I'm thinking black with the waxing moons going down the side... will be visible from Broadway here...

Raw wood area

Cutting area

Assembly area in the back....

Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Waxing Moon News

Hello all my old friends.... and new ones too!

I've been working hard lately on a couple of fronts....

First of all... family issues had taken me from the net lately... My 80 year old Mom had an abdominal aortic aneurysm and is recovering nicely....

Second of all.... I've been keeping my nose to the grindstone in the shop.... which I have moved to my home town of Albert Lea, Mn for a couple of reasons....

Number 1... Mom will need somebody to shovel snow in the winter and cut her grass now.....

Number 2... I have had to turn away more work than I can do. Which is sad, because I know that it can be done and now was a better time than any to work on building the "Waxing Moon Team"....

I've tried hiring folks from time to time - but, bottom line, out there in the world it's tough to find somebody you can work with, and trust at the same time....

I am working on assembling a team of lifelong, woodworking friends to accommodate anything that can be thrown at us in the humidor world.

These lifelong woodworking friends can use the work too and it kills me to know that we can do it.... and just be too damn busy.

We are meeting this evening to work through the details - and any feedback on the direction I have taken this would be appreciated....
In the mean time... I'm working on the humis I have on the bench. Excited about the change.

Instead of getting overwhelmed and saying no - I made changes to do what we can for my Brothers of the Leaf. Building Humi's and smokin' cigars, it seems... is the only love I can have... So, here I am.

So.... Let me introduce to you "the team"...

First picture is my lifelong friend, Jim & I (Jim is on the right)... we have some of the same aunts & uncles & stuff..... Jim is a very skilled craftsman and can figure out just about anything....

Then there's Greg. I don't have a picture of Greg yet.... but, Greg is another brother that I grew up with. Greg has been working at the Ford dealership as the painter and can put a finish on anything.... He's been finishing all his life and is good at it. Greg can put a piano shine on that you won't believe and we'll be offering Greg's service at a nominal charge - that will go straight to Greg.... Probably around $50-$75 or so... but, worth it.

I'd like you to meet Ken.... Ken is a couple years older than me.... I've known him for 30 years and is Jim's brother in law.

Ken has a wood shop to die for and we'll be kicking out some cabinets in the not so distant future....

Ken's pet project at the moment is trimming out and building furniture for his 3000 square foot home that is above the shop..... He can make anything "big".... Jim & I can line it and trim it out.....

Here's Ken & some of his shop....

Check out this pneumatic clamp... perfectly square doors every time!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
kickerb

nice!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I envy you guys. I'm working ever-so-slowly on getting my shop back together. I have the same planer you guys have and I desperately need a dust collector to replace my shop vacs and Festool hepa vac.
It won't be long.
Enjoy your work, my brother. It sure is fun!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Very cool Ed! Congrats on the new shop!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Wait... you are in Albert Lea now?! I wish you would have told me this sooner... I would have LOVED to pick my humidor up at your shop!! You guys are only two hours from my house now.

Glad to hear you are home... welcome back to Minnesota! I love the new shop and I hope all goes well for you with the transition...

P.S... the humi is ALMOST done seasoning and ready to be filled. I still can't walk by it without taking a minute to stare at it... Years from now I'll be able to say I have a Ed Sallee humidor... from his South Carolina period...

Randy
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Extremely nice shop Ed!!

It would be cool to work side by side with friends that enjoy the hobby. Good luck with all things that come.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
OldDirty
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Brandon
OldDirty is on a distinguished road

Glad you get there safe and sound
OldDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Ed I am so glad to hear things are still moving forward for you. Keep it up man. We all love your work.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Brad2064
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Brad
LGC AirForce (Active)
Brad2064 is on a distinguished road

Can't wait!!!
Brad2064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

The new shop looks great, Ed! Congrats to you!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
Swif

Congrats on the shop. Hope everything works out.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Looking great Ed
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Albert Lea, huh? I make a trip a couple times a year to a music festival or two at harmony park in Geneva/Clark's Grove.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Albert Lea, huh? I make a trip a couple times a year to a music festival or two at harmony park in Geneva/Clark's Grove.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's cool!!! A good friend of mine owns Harmony Park and puts on the fests.... might see me out there....
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Sweet set-up brother. I wish I had something like that!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Crazy kids and their electronic stuff is taking over festivals nowadays. I like the old time rock/jam band festies. Went to Bella festival this year. Won't do that again. There were some great acts, but the crowd now is less than stellar.

That's pretty sweet you know the owner of the park. One of my vendor reps knows the guy too.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Sweet! I'll be saving up some scratch for you to build my guitar shaped humi!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Looking Good, Ed!. Best of Luck To You, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

First Name: Adam
Cohiba
Aporschaguy is on a distinguished road

Looks great. I love a working shop/garage. I never understood the overly clean shops. Organized yes. Clean yes but a shop is meant to be worked in.

Cudos...