Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default An old friend's visit

Santa brought to me an old friend who gave his life to bring me a great sense of nostalgia and joy.

The friend was a Moore & Bode Flamboyan Salvadore (5X50). I haven't had one of these in about 9 years, and while I enjoy them immensely, I was enjoying trying so many other new things. I usually like a more full-bodied cigar, and after a couple years that type just took up more of my rotation.
(sorry, no pics as I didn't take my camera bowling)

On Saturday evening, it was the night of the Christmas party for our couples bowling league (14holestogie & his wife are our partners), and so I thought a nice cigar would be a great addition to the night's bowling and festivities.

M&B cigars are always an exquisite example of the torcedor's art, and this was no exception. A silky smooth, slightly oily, maple colored wrapper lovingly embraced this fine stick. It was firm the entire length, no bumps, simply just a gorgeous stick.

With a snip from another old friend, my Zino, and applied flame, I was soon remembering why I love these cigars, and for the life of me couldn't quite figure out why I had not visited my old friend in such a long time.

Was it mild? Yes, it was on the medium side of mild, but oh what smooth flavorful richness. No, it doesn't overpower, but it is like buttered rum coffee with a hint of nuts and spice (not like a Pepin spice, just something). The richness developed the entire length, building in richness (not to be confused with boldness or intensity).

Maybe Tim will attest to how much I enjoyed this stick. I burned it till there was about a 1/8 inch to hold onto and then the wrapper simply slipped off what was left and so I had to let it lay there smoldering so lonely.

It is too bad that this is one of those brands that never goes on sale. I'd ike to stock up on these, but...

..oh yeah, Santa gave me two of them.

Now all I need to do is figure out what is a special enough occasion to burn another.

As for the bowling? We lost 2 of 3 games, but one of the women on the other team did bowl her first 300 - so it was really cool to be there for that. Her brother bowled his first 300 against us (they're on the same team) this same week last year. Yes, we bring out the best in our oppenents.

Oh, I had a PAN'26 #35 immediately after the M&B Salvadore. The first draw was quite a shock - it was so incredibly different - so much more full-bodied than the M&B. I had to take a couple puffs before I settled into the bold, full-bodied richness of this smoke. Needless to say, this too was a superlative smoke, but difference was like night and day. The #35 was leather, bold spice, and deepening complexity. It went great with dessert after the evening's bowling.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 01-05-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: skipped word
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Kondour

Default Re: An old friend's visit

Nice review man! Glad you enjoyed the zino, its a nice mild smoke. Now that we know what others bowled, what was your score?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondour View Post
Nice review man! Glad you enjoyed the zino, its a nice mild smoke. Now that we know what others bowled, what was your score?
The Zino is my 18 year old double bladed cutter.

I will only divulge my own scores as others may not want theirs shared.
150, 198, 253.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

As far as the scores are concerned, Todd had a lot to do with us winning the one game. My scores were most helpful in the 2 losses. (but the company, smokes and food was worth the crappy bowling).
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

...and you know that face that comes upon you when you know you're going to get a little? That was the face Todd wore with that Moore & Bode.
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
...and you know that face that comes upon you when you know you're going to get a little? That was the face Todd wore with that Moore & Bode.

Ouch!!! And you're a friend???
Old 01-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
As far as the scores are concerned, Todd had a lot to do with us winning the one game. My scores were most helpful in the 2 losses. (but the company, smokes and food was worth the crappy bowling).

Hey, Pauline (a 127 average) beat me in the first game. I contributed greatly to that loss as well.

So, why is it that some of the best games of people's lives are always against us?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Sounds like a good time there Rev.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote