Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default DPG Vegas Cubanas

Time for another volume of Illinoishoosier's Review Corner. Tonight, we will be smoking a DPG Vegas Cubanas Generosos. As always, leave comments. Too many pics, not enough pics, too much talk, missing info, too much info...you get the idea.

On to the review.

Don Pepin Garcia Vegas Cubanas
Generosos 6x50
Wrapper: Habano Rosado Claro
Filler: Cuban Seed Corojo

Here it is plotting it's revenge..<foreshadowing>

I like the appearence of this stick. Light brown, smooth wrapper with a few small veins running through it. Stick is very light and has a little give when squeezed. The aroma is a very strong woody, leather with a little bit of pepper. The draw is loose and I get a creamy spice on the pre llite draw. Initial flavor after lighting is grassy and ashy.

The obligatory 5 minute pick..

The burn starts out nice and even with lots of creamy white smoke. The ash is light gray. Not a lot of flavor at this point. I noticed a small split near the head, just above the label.

Ash fell off while resting in the ashtray about 13 minutes in. Noticed another split near the head, just under the cap. I am a biter, but not enough to split wrappers usually. There is not much flavor at this point to speak of. Very, very mild spice coming through with some leather.

At 20 minutes, the wrapper starts to seperate near the head...

The flavor is starting to pick up a little here. Reminds me of ..gingerbread cookies? Maybe I just have Xmas on the brain. But that is the spice I taste, not real good with naming the various spices. Starting to fell a bit of a bite on my throat now.

It starts to get ugly at the half-hour mark.

Burn is a little crooked. The draw is still loose and the ash is light gray. Still putting out a decent amount of smoke. The splits have not gotten any worse. As you can see above, they appear to start near the label above the two points and go towards the cap. Have already lost a little piece, afraid I may lose the whole thing. Finally starting to get a little leather taste to hang around after exhale.

Had to correct the burn at 40 minutes. It almost went out on me. Looks like I've got a tunneler...right down the middle. On a positive note, I am getting a tea flavor now.

I've hit the 50 minute mark and I am not liking this thing at all. The tea flavor is now coming through in the aroma as well. Maybe some cinnamon. But harshness is starting to overtake it. I hate to say it but....

WE'RE DONE!
I took the label off and while giving a squeeze to remove it, this happened:

This has been resting for about 4 months at 65/68 and then in my chairside humi for about 2 weeks at 62. I have had wrapper issues before with DPG's, so I try to dry them out a bit before I smoke them.

I was really disappointed with the flavor, or absence of flavor, of this stick. The spicy tea at the end was nice, but there just wasn't enough of it. the wrapper coming apart didn't help the experience either.

I'm sure it was a bad stick, but I have to give this one...

1.5 illinoishoosiers out of 5
Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: DPG Vegas Cubanas

Thanks for the thorough review. I've gone through a fiver of these and didn't have any construction problems. Flavor is definitely softer than other DPGs, but I liked the gingerbread and tea notes that you found.

BlackIrish
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post
Thanks for the thorough review. I've gone through a fiver of these and didn't have any construction problems. Flavor is definitely softer than other DPGs, but I liked the gingerbread and tea notes that you found.

BlackIrish
Posted via Mobile Device
Probably having the expectation of a DPG led my disappointment on the flavor. Glad to hear you picked up some of the unusual flavors as well.

Thanks for the comment!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
godzilla

I had one of these and one of the Tabacco Baez (I think) and they both fell completely apart. The wrapper split at head and foot. I've noticed that DP wrappers are extremely sensitive, especially during the winter when it is cold outside and dry inside.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

I've had a few of these and I would say they are a good golf cigar. They aren't your Sunday-Savor smokes, but also not a yard-gar. For the DPG whores out there (pointing at myself), these are decent budget smokes that have their place in the lineup.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Although I have experienced some wrapper issues with this cigar I still think its a nice cigar for the price.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review. I did not like this cigar either.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

This was my first DPF cigar. I did not like it. I need to try a few of their better smokes soon.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

I bought quite a few of these off of Joe's deals. Luckily I haven't had any wrapper issues. Yes, this is a milder Pepin smoke. As Irish & Hoosier stated; do get the gingerbread flavors. For me; it is a consistent smoke that won't over-power my palate. Ideal for walking or when sitting around the fire with your buddies.

Nice review. Just the right amount of pics.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear I wasn't crazy with the gingerbread taste. That's why I like posting reviews. Helps with the pallette.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Nice review, I have grabbed quite a few of these, as I think they are a great smoke for the price when they are on sale, although I have to agree they are totally different from the other Pepin smokes I have had.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Just finished smoking another Vegas Cubanas corona (they're long coronas -- 5.5 x 44) that's been aging about 9 mos. A very enjoyable smoking experience. Sorry I don't have pictures.

Construction was outstanding: the gray-white ash reached 2" before the first drop, and nearly as long on the second.

Body and flavor are medium, much toned down from the trademark Pepin spiciness of other lines. Warm wood and, yes, tea and gingerbread through the first half. The spice begins to mount a bit in the second half, with a slow buildup of cinnamony heat on the back palate. Gotta draw easily to avoid heating it up. Relatively clean finish, with some cinnamon/baking spice left on the exhale.

I wonder if our different experiences are due to the different vitola (corona vs toro)? Aging? Or perhaps it's just plain inconsistency? I picked up a 5pk of the generosos (toro) after my first good experiences with the corona, and I'll report back once I see how they smoke.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Would not be surprised in the least. That's what makes this hobby fun and frustrating at the same time.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review!!!

I have been wondering about this one! I have one resting in the humidor and I thought it may need to rest! Now I know it doesn't!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote