Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Fuente Opus X Belicoso

Cigar: Feunte Fuente Opus X Belicoso
Wrapper: Dominican
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Vitola: 4 5/8x49
Price: Going rate seems to be about $30. MSRP I think is somewhere in the $15 range.

Setting: Sun room, upper 40s out, raining, having a Diet Sunkist.

Pre-light: This is a neat looking Belicoso. The wrapper has a very Rosado type appearance to it. The wrapper has small veins and a nice spicy scent to it. The cigar is very firm with one soft spot under the wrapper. I cut about a quarter inch off the end with my Xikar. Draw was firm so I took another little bit off. Now it's just about right. Cold taste was slightly sweet with a bit of spice on the lips.

First Third: The cigar lit up easlily with the Guang Da and though the draw was nice I was not greeted with large amounts of smoke. The smoke I do get has a charred wood flavor that's not altogether unpleasant. There is a bit of spice on the tongue but it stays there. There is also a sweet, almost fruity flavor in the background, but I can't seem to place it. Body is currently in the mild to medium range. The finish is very light but pleasant. The cigar did start to develop a bit of a runner but I'm gonna let it go and see where it leads. Smoke and body picked up significanlty about half an inch into the smoke.

Second Third: Well, flavor remains the charred wood and sweetness, with that "Dominican" taste that I can't describe but seems to be part of all Dominican cigars I've had. Body is now in the medium/full range and ash is flaky but holding. The runner is evening out without a touchup but the burn line is remains a tad wavy. The finish is becoming thicker and is starting to irritate the top of my throat a tad.

Final Third: The charred flavor has lessened and the woody flavor really came to the fore. The spice remains but is less irritating. The burn line has almost completely straightened out by now and the body is definitely in the medium/full range. It does have a good bit of nic kick too, though not to the level of a Lito. The ash remains strong and long. The resting smoke which was initially quite a lot has diminished to near nothing. The cigar has a nice slow burn to it. The second ash dropped onto my lap with about an inch to go in the smoke.

Final Thoughts: I promised this review to my friend Clint from Canada about a year ago when he sent it to me. I've smoked three previous Opuses and didn't care for a single one of them, but they were all smoked fresh. I decided to give this one a year and then try it. Well, I must say that did the trick. Still not one of my favorite smokes, but a much more pleasant one than the previous three. Definitely top notch construction and good if not overly complex flavors. Thanks Clint.

Like it: Yes
Buy again: Well, didn't buy this one, but won't buy any more because of the cost. Just not worth it to me.
Reccommend: Sure
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Yazzie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mark
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Yazzie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fuente Opus X Belicoso

Great Review...Just smoked one about a week ago
Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Nice review Steve. Maybe the Diet Sunkist did the trick this time instead of your Root Beer??
Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Looks like a power ranger (xXx). They are one of my favorite sizes but I find they have a unique taste compared to other opus. Strong little suckers also.

Msrp is around $10 or so. It can be found on vitolas.net but it is pre state tax. In the states, they can definitely be found for $15 or less.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
Cigary

Nice review and pics,,,I still have a few of these with some age on them. Don't think they are worth $30,,,maybe around $12,,maybe,,,but I am still an Opus fan.