Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Going to pop the question...need ring suggestions!

OK so It's been over three years, and it's at the point where I can't wait much longer to ask my gf to marry me. She's the love of my life, and I've known that I was going to marry her about a week into our relationship...but I digress

I'm assuming there are at least as many financial predators in the jewelery business as there are in the used car, real estate, and stock market sectors. My gut is telling me to stay away from all of the chain stores all together (the thought of one of my girlfriend's aunts coyly whispering to her mother "he went to Jared" makes me want to inhale Cohiba smoke until my stomach ejects itself from my insides) I've been reading a lot on the components of a ring (the 4 Cs, setting, etc) so I'm not so much looking for advice on that (though I'm always open to suggestions) as I am looking on ways to not get ripped off. I've heard of buying antique rings, has anyone done that? If anyone has any positive advice or horror stories with a lesson please share. I'd love to hear from as many people as possible
Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to pop the question...need ring suggestions!

No help on the ring (been married 26 years)...but congrats brother!!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

First, congrats! I made the same move a year and a half ago and am glad I did.

The only advice I am giving on the ring is to not overspend. You shouldn't be paying off a ring for years. I just had a grad student buddy living on a 15K a year stipend put a 9K ring on a credit card. That ring is going to cost him a fortune...
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Aporschaguy is on a distinguished road

Look look and look again. FYI if you buy a ring from a store ands it's 20k it isn't actually worth more than 5k. There are great deals if you buy right. Craigslist is not how you do it. The cost of diamonds is low if you can find someone that sells or buys used stones. buy her a diamond then pick the setting together. My wife loved that.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
First, congrats! I made the same move a year and a half ago and am glad I did.

The only advice I am giving on the ring is to not overspend. You shouldn't be paying off a ring for years. I just had a grad student buddy living on a 15K a year stipend put a 9K ring on a credit card. That ring is going to cost him a fortune...
I don't know your friend, but if my friend did that I may have some words for him. Thanks for the advice, but I would NEVER buy a ring that I couldn't pay for outright. Especially on a CC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporschaguy View Post
Look look and look again. FYI if you buy a ring from a store ands it's 20k it isn't actually worth more than 5k. There are great deals if you buy right. Craigslist is not how you do it. The cost of diamonds is low if you can find someone that sells or buys used stones. buy her a diamond then pick the setting together. My wife loved that.
That sounds like a great idea. I've heard many times to buy the diamond separately. Do you know where to look for places that do this? I will likely be looking in the Chicago or Augusta, GA area....

This is good stuff, more advice is definitely welcome!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Andrew, I just went through this and popped the question in July. I had the luck of having a family friend in the business, and went to his guy who does repairs and custom work.
What I went through though was:
  • Picking the stone, did she want diamond, sapphire, etc? I went with a diamond (white, although a friend recently picked a black diamond set in White gold), but mine was a normal diamond.
  • Color and clarity are the things to look for (you can look on the internet for diamond gradings and examples)
  • Then I had to decide on the setting and the gold. My fiancee is a Nurse, so a strong setting, but still nice and shows off the diamond well.
  • I went with White gold (14 carat) and added 2 small blue sapphires on either side...they sparkle but set off the diamond!
Anyway you choose - the important part is it is something she will want. I know someone who goes to the big box stores because she likes to upgrade - which works for them, but not for me. I wanted something that would be nice, and I dont do the trade up thing.

Good luck - PM me if you want the name and number of my guy
Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I know some people go down to the islands (ie Grand Cayman) and getting stones allot cheaper then here. Take her on a cruise, pop the question and let her pick the stone. Just an idea.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
I know some people go down to the islands (ie Grand Cayman) and getting stones allot cheaper then here. Take her on a cruise, pop the question and let her pick the stone. Just an idea.
Genius Larry, genius
Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

http://www.bluenile.com/
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

Congratulations! I'd check out www.bluenile.com... Lots of information on picking a stone, etc. They also have great (unbelievable) service & their pricing was much better than my local stores.

- edit - Kevin beat me to it
physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by physiognomy View Post
Congratulations! I'd check out www.bluenile.com... Lots of information on picking a stone, etc. They also have great (unbelievable) service & their pricing was much better than my local stores.

- edit - Kevin beat me to it
Very nice. Giving them a quick look-over before I go to sleep. Their site is very intuitive and looks amazing! Will definitely look further into this tomorrow
Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageland2000 View Post
That sounds like a great idea. I've heard many times to buy the diamond separately. Do you know where to look for places that do this? I will likely be looking in the Chicago or Augusta, GA area....

This is good stuff, more advice is definitely welcome!
I do but down in Venezuela. They have a mine and my wife's was cut in Israel EGL certified. My employee 'carried' it back for me.

I wish I knew someone in your neck of the woods. Sorry...
Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Early congrats Andrew......I went with Kay Jewelers and we are so glad we did and yep we shopped and shopped and shopped some more, but Kay made us the best offer for our budget. I know you don't want to go that way, but just thought I'd throw in my
Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

Cohiba

Quote:
Wow great prices for retail however there are better prices.

You should call all the Scrap Gold buyers in your area. They buy lots of gold and the diamonds that go with them. Most of the diamonds are wholesaled to middle men. I bet you could find 1.5ct for 4-5k.....

Women live it when you save and buy big.... This is the perfect opportunity... She will brag about you for years...

'oh ya you paid what for 1ct? My husband bought this better quality (?) for 1/3....
Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

How about a Montecristo cigar ring?
Simple, yet elegant.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post
Simple, yet elegant.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post
Simple, yet elegant.
That's the engagement ring, I think you gotta get her a Cohiba for the wedding ring

I vote convince her to go with tattoo'd ring fingers and spend the balance on cigars

Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

bought mine at Kay jewelers and she loved it.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #19
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I have been in the business for over 25 years and here are a couple things that I tell my friends:

Get a certified diamond, preferably GIA certified, they are the gold standard for diamond certification.

14k or platinum solitaire settings never go out of style.

Stick with a standard shape diamond (this one is my preference but it has not failed), you cannot go wrong with a Round Brilliant Cut.

If had to choose between attributes, I always say to NEVER skimp on color. You'll find 1 million diamonds out there with the standard "G-H-I" color range, but once you place a D or E color diamond next to any of those, you'll never question this recommendation again.

Also, be aware of any place that uses ranges when specifying color or clarity. If they say G-H-I or I quality without being specific such as G color, SI2, then you can be sure it's at the low end of that range, and I can guarantee whatever cert they may produce will not be GIA.

Good Luck and Congrats!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by physiognomy View Post
Congratulations! I'd check out www.bluenile.com...

Another vote for Blue Nile. I have been purchasing from them for years. Not one single complaint here.

You know - the average person can't tell the difference between a SI1 and a VVS1. So unless your girlfriend is one to run right down to a jeweler - you have options. And with Blue Nile you can pick your diamond, setting and your price.

Congratulations!

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote