Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #21
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scam Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
It can happen anywhere. We went to a local pizza place with the kids, had dinner, paid and left. I am a firm believer in overtipping so I left a very nice tip since the service was great and my kids generally make a mess. The waiter deserved it...so I thought. The next several days I got fradulent changes on that same card...they traced it back to that waiter and he was fired. You just never know...such a nice guy too.
Thats bassically what happened to me!
I gave her a tip that was over what she deserved. Then I found out she jacked my card!???!!??
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear this whole ordeal, but looks like you're going to be made whole.

When you first said mentioned NO, I thought you fell for the shoe shine scam.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #23
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Waiters and waitresses have been doing this scam for a long time. Fortunately it's only a few bad apples that do it, but they have the opportunity since you hand them your card and they take it out of your sight. It's also not uncommon for them to "skim" the card by scanning it into a reader so that they can either make a hard copy or sell the data to someone to make a hard copy.

My buddy had that happen to him at a walmart in Georgia. Thing is, since it wasn't taken out of his sight, the cashier acted like the first scan didn't work (which was the skimmer probably) and then scanned it for real. His card was used in Mexico City at a liquor store a couple days later. It's amazing how connected these theft rings are.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #24
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
Sorry to hear this whole ordeal, but looks like you're going to be made whole.

When you first said mentioned NO, I thought you fell for the shoe shine scam.
Yeh, Im wise on the "I bet you I can tell you where you got your shoes at?" scam. I usually reply back "On my feet! What else you got today for me?! Lets go double or nothing!" I actually had a guy give me a buck for being so quick on him!
I don't play games with the Cons/bums in the 'Quarter, im usually carrying.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #25
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
All you're supposed to need is the fraud affidavit supplied by the debit card company.

The thing about stealing numbers is simple. There is a guy with a wireless connected laptop waiting on the swiped info from the mole inside the restaurant. They swipe your card through their wireless scanner and it transmits all the info to his laptop. The mole then contacts the laptop guy and provides PIN # and such. Before you have cranked your car, a duplicate card has been made elsewhere and someone is already charging your card up. It's way too easy these days to steal credit card info. A restaurant employee can make 100 times his wages in one week stealing numbers.
I just had a fraudulent charge on my debit card for $320. I got a call from the company that does security for my credit union 6 minutes after asking if I made the purchase at a Kmart in Dover, Delaware. I'm from Detroit and I've never been to Delaware in my life. They cancelled the card immediately, but I was told to ask Kmart to reverse the charges, which they wouldn't. Next I had to get a police report, then I had to go to my credit union with a letter explaining my side of the story, only to have to fill out a fraud claim form which had to be signed and notorized. Insane.

My previous credit union took care of all of this for me. I simply got a call, told them I didn't make those charges, and a few days later a new card in the mail.

Anyway, the interesting part was the register indicated the card was swiped in Delaware even though I had it in my pocket in Michigan. Obviously it was duplicated. By who, I may never know. My local police said he'd try to get camera footage and track them down with help of Delaware police, but he also said given the amount he likely wouldn't be extradited to Michigan even if caught. He said that usually only happens if the same guy is tracked doing multiple credit card frauds.

I did get my money back. Still waiting on the new card.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #26
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Damn sorry to hear this Shawn. Identity theft seems to be everywhere these days and the technology out there just makes it that much easier.