Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #901
Ray

Red face Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I like my Amanda Cigars. I find it hard to get a constant supply. I live in Tasmania, Australia. Can I import my own, or who do i contact to get a good supply.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #902
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I like my Amanda Cigars. I find it hard to get a constant supply. I live in Tasmania, Australia. Can I import my own, or who do i contact to get a good supply.
I have no idea where to get your cigars but you shouldn't have any problem having them shipped to you. The biggest hurdle you will have will be tax and exise pricing on imported tobacco and allotment size for personal vs. commercial use. You will need to check with Australian Customs for answers as to personal use size and possible exemptions and/or tax requirements.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #903
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Beginner Question here.

I started a Cigar the other day and smoked for about 30 min or so before something came up and I needed to leave the house with my wife. I returned within the hour. I took the cigar, which was only about half smoked, and cut the ash off. I decided to go ahead and put the remaining cigar in the humidor to be finished for another day.

So, my question is... what are the implications of finishing a cigar on another day?

Thanks
CRIMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #904
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

Please dont ever do this again. You may ruin every cigar in your humidor! If its still there take it out immediately! The stale taste will permeate every cigar in there.

Sometimes you can try relighting a cigar within a few hours. But after that all you will get is a bad stale tobacco taste in your mouth. If you decide to relight purge(blow through) the cigar through a flame to reduce the tars and unburnt charcoal.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #905
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post

Please dont ever do this again. You may ruin every cigar in your humidor! If its still there take it out immediately! The stale taste will permeate every cigar in there.

Sometimes you can try relighting a cigar within a few hours. But after that all you will get is a bad stale tobacco taste in your mouth. If you decide to relight purge(blow through) the cigar through a flame to reduce the tars and unburnt charcoal.
Bob knows stuff....get that cigar outta there!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #906
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Haha, I can picture your robotic arms flailing around wildly. Ok, I get the picture. Consider cigar removed.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #907
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

Oh! One more question.

I have an Oliva Serie G that I am trying to smoke. It seems to be what I assume you would consider to be plugged. The draw is very tight. I am definitely struggling with it.

In the future, I think I will check the draw before lighting. However, even if the cigar was plugged, I am not really sure I would feel comfortable returning the cigar to my B&M. So, is there anything I can do to fix this on my own? If the "Plug" is somewhere in the middle of the cigar, I figure there is nothing I can do. However, I was thinking this particular cigar was plugged right at the cap.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #908
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

I'll jump in Drew but i'm sure someone else will too.

I use a draw poker and massage. If you've already lit the smoke, then a draw poker works well. Just shove the poker thru the center of the stick and pull it out.

By massage, i mean, I roll the cigar between my fingers to loosen up and shift the tobacco inside. That helps as well.

If the cigar is not lit, meaning you cut it and checked draw and found it to be plugged, just throw it back in the humi. Time and patience just might be favorable to that smoke the next time you reach in to smoke it!

Hope that helps Brother!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #909
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
Oh! One more question.

I have an Oliva Serie G that I am trying to smoke. It seems to be what I assume you would consider to be plugged. The draw is very tight. I am definitely struggling with it.

In the future, I think I will check the draw before lighting. However, even if the cigar was plugged, I am not really sure I would feel comfortable returning the cigar to my B&M. So, is there anything I can do to fix this on my own? If the "Plug" is somewhere in the middle of the cigar, I figure there is nothing I can do. However, I was thinking this particular cigar was plugged right at the cap.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I'll jump in Drew but i'm sure someone else will too.

I use a draw poker and massage. If you've already lit the smoke, then a draw poker works well. Just shove the poker thru the center of the stick and pull it out.

By massage, i mean, I roll the cigar between my fingers to loosen up and shift the tobacco inside. That helps as well.

If the cigar is not lit, meaning you cut it and checked draw and found it to be plugged, just throw it back in the humi. Time and patience just might be favorable to that smoke the next time you reach in to smoke it!

Hope that helps Brother!
Good advice That's exactly what I do with great success.

My only other question would be, what RH level are you currently storing your cigars in?

I have found that storing between 60-65% RH greatly improves draw & burn problems that aren't directly attributed to a poor roll.

I hope this helps.

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #910
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

My RH is hanging around %65 and my other cigars seem to be smoking fine. In fact, my last Oliva Serie G smoked quite well. So, I think the problem is directly related to the roll of the cigar in this case. Oh well. I figure this can happen from time to time with any cigar.

Thanks for the advise!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #911
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Bumping this thread...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #912
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

What is the theory behind it being no big deal to take numerous cigars in a travel humidor for 4-5 days without humidification and being good as gold, but having to rest a sealed box shipped from a reputable shop?

Wouldn’t it be, in theory, the exact same thing?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #913
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
What is the theory behind it being no big deal to take numerous cigars in a travel humidor for 4-5 days without humidification and being good as gold, but having to rest a sealed box shipped from a reputable shop?

They are two different scenarios really.

"Properly" (ie: the way you like them) stored cigars typically retain (or close to retain) their RH for a few days if kept in a sealed travel humidor (I've found it to be around 3-4 days).

The reason for resting a box after receiving them is to give them time to acclimate to your preferred RH (this takes approx. 3-4 weeks on avg).

I hope this helps

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #914
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post

Lots of temperature fluctuations during shipping as well.

I keep a water pillow in my travel humi and it's been rock steady at 68% over the last 2 weeks.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #915
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Quick question. I picked up a couple cigars from a B&M today (usually buy online). I went to smoke one about an hour after I got home, a JdN Antano 1970, and the band was loose. I was able to spin it in place as well as slide it up and down the cigar. I didn't think that was right, so I put it back and grabbed an Oliva V that I bought at the same time. The band was just as loose on the Oliva. So at this point I decided to leave all the new cigars alone and grabbed one out of the cigar caddy I brought with me.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a loose band means the cigars humidity is too high. Is this right?
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #916
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

The cigars were probably wet. The B&M's keep their cigars at 70%-72% most of the time. At least mine do. I'll leave them in my humidor for 3 weeks or so then smoke them, much better.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #917
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis View Post

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a loose band means the cigars humidity is too high. Is this right?
Nope, the humidity is possibly too low. Too much humidity will make the cigar swell, therefore making the band tight. Not enough and the cigar will shrink, making the band loose. Although, when the band starts to do what you describe, that's when I know they are perfect for smoking.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #918
gijoey959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis View Post
Quick question. I picked up a couple cigars from a B&M today (usually buy online). I went to smoke one about an hour after I got home, a JdN Antano 1970, and the band was loose. I was able to spin it in place as well as slide it up and down the cigar. I didn't think that was right, so I put it back and grabbed an Oliva V that I bought at the same time. The band was just as loose on the Oliva. So at this point I decided to leave all the new cigars alone and grabbed one out of the cigar caddy I brought with me.

I like to throw any thing I smoke into a dry box for an hour or so, it makes the burn and smoke amount better, but I keep my humidor at 60-65%, my B&M keep theirs at 70%

this is personal preference, and my climate is a bit more humid than some, but if I get one fresh from the B&M, unless I smoke it there, its going in a dry box unless I've let it rest for 2 weeks

I would also like to say that the bands moving is perfectly normal, I take my band off before I go smoke it so I don't loose it
Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #919
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Gotcha. Thanks for the help.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #920
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I smoked two JdN's this weekend, both of their bands were pretty loose. I keep my humidor at 65% and had kept them in there for a few weeks. Might just be the way they band their cigars? I've only had two so I don't have much experience with those cigars.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote