Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Kauai or Maui
Kauai 19 51.35%
Maui 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #41
mrreindeer

Default Re: Kauai or Maui?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I'm guessing a lot of people who have only been to Maui are chiming in. If you've only ever been to Maui I guess it seems like a great place, but IMO and I'm guessing yours too Kauai blows it away.
I thought the same thing...and I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Shave ice with vanilla ice cream is probably one of the greatest frozen concoctions known to man.

we hit up one shack on the road to Hana (recommended in Maui revealed) that I can still taste... I wish I could bottle that chit and take it home with me!!
MMMmmmm.....only thing better is Shave Ice with Macadamia Nut ice cream!!! I haven't hit that shack but man, the best Shave Ice I had in Maui was in the Kihei / Wailea area....Toby's....line out the door! Awesome stuff.

Fortunately, I've found a place out here in Gardena, CA that serves up equally authentic and yummy Shave Ice...seriously puts a few places I've been to in Hawaii to shame. 4Real. Teri Hawaii is the place, over on Artesia Blvd. right by the 110 Freeway onramp.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #42
mrreindeer

Regarding the Big Island...it's nice, you're right....but Kauai is still the best IMO.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #43
Stig
Dead Pool Junkie

First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Stig will become famous soon enough

Wishing I could afford to visit either one right now. 15 gegrees in CT today.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #44
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

If you come to Maui we can herf and I can play tour guide for you. PM me if you want any info on where to stay/what to do. Haven't been to Kauai yet, but I know that there is lots to do on Maui that avoids crowds and "touristy" places, if you know where to look. Lots of awesome hikes and good snorkeling, since thats what you're into. The whales are amazing, went diving two days ago and the whales singing was actually vibrating my chest cavity...really freakin cool!
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #45
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Something you should know about visiting the Hawaiian islands, it is very easy to island hop and rental cars (especially Jeeps) are cheap. Planes fly from island to island almost hourly and even a day trip to the Big Island would be worth it. Seeing the lava flows at sunset was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

I also loved Waikiki beach on Oahu. The busiest of the islands, and very touristy and expensive, but lots of window shopping and beautiful scenery. Also, some of the best restaurants on the Islands.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #46
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
Something you should know about visiting the Hawaiian islands, it is very easy to island hop and rental cars (especially Jeeps) are cheap. Planes fly from island to island almost hourly and even a day trip to the Big Island would be worth it. Seeing the lava flows at sunset was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

I also loved Waikiki beach on Oahu. The busiest of the islands, and very touristy and expensive, but lots of window shopping and beautiful scenery. Also, some of the best restaurants on the Islands.
Unless you're under 25 years of age, then the price doubles.

Being 24 years old on a honeymoon 275$ in surcharges.

Me and my fiance chose Kauai for our honeymoon destination. We'll be there in July.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #47
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Been to both, and love both; couldn't really recommend one over the other, as both have their strong points and not too much in weak points.

They carry a lot of the same activities with Kaui being a little more limited in entertainment after dark, but still some things to do. Great golfing on both. Great beaches on both. Great food on both. One thing you CAN do on Kaui but nowhere else on the islands is fish for smallmouth bass (Hawaii's only true freshwater river has a transplanted smallmouth population!). True, Maui is more developed and "touristy", but there are lots of places away from the crowds. A great one is to take the Road to Hana, and then keep on going past Hana. Turns into a dirt/gravel road and circles the south/southwest side of the island, until you hook back up with highway again, around the area where you turn to go up Haleakala. But, Kaui has Mt Waialiali, wettest spot on Earth, and the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.

If you have time, I'd do both.

Then again, if you have time, spend it all on the Big Island. All the great stuff the other two islands have, and an active volcano. Plus, go up Mauna Kea and play in the snow and watch the locals fill the backs of their trucks with snow and race to the beach with it on Sundays.

Oh yeah, forgot about Kona beans!

Next time we go back, it'll be the Big Island again; just beautiful!!!
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #48
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Maui if for nothing else then cheeseburger in paradise at sunset 2nd floor window. The ultimate Jimmy B experience. Just Relax.

Haleakala(SP) at sunrise and sunset is epic as well
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #49
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Maui if for nothing else then cheeseburger in paradise at sunset 2nd floor window. The ultimate Jimmy B experience. Just Relax.
Went to that one a few times but also hit the on Waikiki frequently as it was right next to our hotel... The one in Vegas sucked!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #50
Andyman

Looks like it is going to be kauai. Putting the trip together today or tomorrow. Probbly leaving second week of March. Thanks for all the great advice.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #51
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Great choice Andy. We were there in Feb of 07. Very nice. We had a car and drove all over the island. Gotta go to Puka Dog at Poipu Bay.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #52
Andyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
Great choice Andy. We were there in Feb of 07. Very nice. We had a car and drove all over the island. Gotta go to Puka Dog at Poipu Bay.
We are staying in the east end of Poipu on baby bay
Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #53
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
Looks like it is going to be kauai. Putting the trip together today or tomorrow. Probbly leaving second week of March. Thanks for all the great advice.
I highly recommend you stay in the Poipu Bay area. The Hyatt is great but there are a few other new places down there too.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #54
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
Went to that one a few times but also hit the on Waikiki frequently as it was right next to our hotel... The one in Vegas sucked!
Did the waikki one this summer. MMMMMMM wait staff not so friendly, LA LA vibe, not on water. I trully think the Maui Lahina one is just close to perfection. Doesnt hurt that its rare I find a cheeburger I dont like
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote