Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 06:03 AM   #21
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Coffee Roasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Yea, I looked it up last night. The Behmor will do up to a lb, but it’s better suited for 1/2lb batches. There’s tips/tricks you can do to roast larger batches.
I have a Behmor and only roast in 1/2lbs batches as it just works better that way.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #22
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
I have a Behmor and only roast in 1/2lbs batches as it just works better that way.
Do you have the original 1600, or the update 1600 Plus? Wondering if it’s worth updating to the Plus.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:59 AM   #23
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Do you have the original 1600, or the update 1600 Plus? Wondering if it’s worth updating to the Plus.
I have the Behmor Plus, but looking to upgrade a roaster that might give me more control when roasting. Switching to manual mode has helped a lot with getting to 1st and 2nd crack as I prefer a darker roast most of the time.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #24
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
I have the Behmor Plus, but looking to upgrade a roaster that might give me more control when roasting. Switching to manual mode has helped a lot with getting to 1st and 2nd crack as I prefer a darker roast most of the time.
I was reading up on what the plus can do. I like the extra control it gives, but not sure it’s worth the extra $$$ for me to upgrade.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #25
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I haven't got to roast any of my new beans yet... Dang life just keeps me busy... Maybe next week I can!
Old 02-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #26
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
I haven't got to roast any of my new beans yet... Dang life just keeps me busy... Maybe next week I can!
Any luck roasting yet?
Old 02-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #27
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

No sir, between life and the weather.. I haven't even hardly been outside my house other than work.

I need to as I am down to store bought ground coffee...that I have been using in my AeroPress.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #28
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
No sir, between life and the weather.. I haven't even hardly been outside my house other than work.

I need to as I am down to store bought ground coffee...that I have been using in my AeroPress.
You’ll get to it when you can. I’m out of the Brazilian I roasted a while back. Back to straight store bought Peruvian whole bean. Once that’s gone, I have a bag of store bought Colombian. I’ll get back to roasting soon myself.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #29
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

I finally roasted some coffee on Sunday, can't remember what kind at the moment, but I got it done!!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #30
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
I finally roasted some coffee on Sunday, can't remember what kind at the moment, but I got it done!!
Nice! Have you tried it yet? Should be done degassing.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #31
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
Nice! Have you tried it yet? Should be done degassing.
I have not yet. I actually had some I forgot I roasted back early in January that I am almost done with... Should be tasting the newer stuff by the weekend.

It sure smells good. I am trying to find the bag of what I roasted.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #32
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

For the Behmor roasters, you guys roast indoors at all? I really need something I can roast indoors without making a crazy mod to vent it outside.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:46 AM   #33
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
For the Behmor roasters, you guys roast indoors at all? I really need something I can roast indoors without making a crazy mod to vent it outside.
I'm pretty sure that the Portland guys roast in the garage. Would that work for you? Noise, dust, and odor are a bit much, according to them. Me, I let others do the roasting and trade money or cigars for the finished product.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #34
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Portland guys roast in the garage. Would that work for you? Noise, dust, and odor are a bit much, according to them. Me, I let others do the roasting and trade money or cigars for the finished product.
If I had my garage, the Fresh Roast works good. Unfortunately, my garage is not accessible as my sister is living with me and using it for storage currently. if I had my garage back, it would sure solve a few hurdles I have right now.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:15 AM   #35
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I did when I had my Behmor. Roasted in the basement. Used a shop vac to clean up the chaff. Made the house smell like roasted coffee for a couple days. I live alone, so it didn’t bother me.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:16 AM   #36
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
I did when I had my Behmor. Roasted in the basement. Used a shop vac to clean up the chaff. Made the house smell like roasted coffee for a couple days. I live alone, so it didn’t bother me.
I don't mind the smell at all, just settling off an alarm is my main concern.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #37
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
I don't mind the smell at all, just settling off an alarm is my main concern.
Mine never went off. But it’s located on the ceiling leading up the stairs.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #38
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

I guess I can just pull the few I have.

I just want to get back to roasting...I am out of my coffee and soon will be buying store bought, ugh.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #39
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (3)
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough

When I roasted, I set up my Behmor under our hood vent. When cooked, I vacuumed the chaff. My family didn’t mind the aroma of roasted coffee. As for the alarm, that is a problem. We pulled the one in the kitchen. I generally don’t produce enough smoke to set off the alarms in the other parts of the house. That said, I have set off the alarm in the hallways outside the bedrooms. That’s fun while roasting coffee late!

This took a back seat while I was in seminary. I haven’t returned to it as I’ve been ordering beans from Coava in Portland. Every two weeks we receive 1 day delivery of beans roasted within 2-3 days of delivery. It would be cheaper to order from Sweet Maria’s and roast my own, but I have enough projects to complete. This is one less thing I need to do for now.

I’ll get back to it eventually!
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #40
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

My hood vent doesn't vent outside, just blows air around.