Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our deck just showed up.

We've been doing a bunch of work on the house since Spring. I put in beds for bushes, stone around them, started building cabinets for all the walls in the garage (every square inch of walls), added a piece of concrete to widen our driveway, and we just finished a sidewalk that goes from front to back, and got our garden in.
The big project is our deck.
It's enormous. I have no idea what I was thinking. I do all this stuff myself, aside from hiring a buddy to help with the concrete, and it takes me forever. He helped pour the 21 concrete piers, they were 48" deep and we used 8" form tubes. We mixed all that by hand, it was a job.
So the deck is ready to go up, finally.
I designed it and drew the plans a few weeks ago, got all the permits from zoning, the building commission and the homeowner's association, and just bought all the screws and fasteners and stuff yesterday.
I ordered the lumber yesterday and it showed up just a little while ago. When it came off the truck and I got a good look at it, I just about puked. This thing is gonna be the end of me.
Fortunately my father-in-law is going to help, so we should have it done in about a week, weather permitting.
I figured I'd post up pics as it goes so I can see the start-to-finish.
Here she is in imagination stage...

That's our house, the pile, my sweet baby, and the boy.

This is just a shot from the other end of the pile.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Our deck just showed up.

Scott just remember one board at a time. The next thing you know it will be done and youll be proud and on to the next project........ Staining. LOL enjoy man!
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

A deck? Hell, Scott, you could build the whole damn ship with all that lumber!

Best of luck with it, brother.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Good luck, it will look/be great when done but I don't envy the building part
Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

p.s after the deck you need a fence, "good fences makes for good neighbors" or something like that, lol
Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

So when will you be having the first herf on it?
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
Scott just remember one board at a time. The next thing you know it will be done and youll be proud and on to the next project........ Staining. LOL enjoy man!
I can stain this stuff immediately, so it'll be stained before the screws even cool down.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

It's going to look great, or build and Arc like Bruce Allmighty
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you got some work to do brother.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Sherlockholms

It looks like its going to be a nice deck Scott.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Wow!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

What a great project! yeah, one board at a time.

There is something about working with wood that is so rewarding... for me, at least.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

REminds me of that scene in Evan ALmighty when he gets the shipment to start building the ark lol.

Looks like a fun project!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
So when will you be having the first herf on it?
Probably before it's even done.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

very nice bro good luck...
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Wow, almost enough wood to build an Ark....just ask Al!!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Good luck Scott, Just think of smoking on it when you're done
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I feel your pain brother. I am building a 12 x 16 shed. My pile was just a little smaller than yours!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I'm about 60% complete with a deck project myself. I went with TimberTech composite decking at $2/ft as I didn't want the hassle of maintaining the real stuff. I'm probably going to just wait until next year when I make some money again to put up the railings.
At least with my deck, I'm using the existing joists though.

But it was very wise of you to do this while you still had an empty lot to drive through next to you.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I feel your pain brother. I am building a 12 x 16 shed. My pile was just a little smaller than yours!!!
I have to build a shed before Fall, Larry. That's easy. No 20' 2x12's in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
But it was very wise of you to do this while you still had an empty lot to drive through next to you.
That has been a HUGE help all along the way. I want to get everything done before they sell that lot. It'll save tons of pain, for sure.