Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #3761
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Glad to hear the review! Mine just arrived the other day. Still waiting to do my first smoke. I'l be gone this weekend, so it's looking like the weekend after. Trying to decide whether to do baby backs for 12 people as a first run or whether I should experiment on my own a bit before subjecting other people to my final product.
I smoked a pork butt the first time around, as I heard it was the toughest one to mess up haha. I still enjoy doing them for larger groups, as they don't take up as much space for the amount of food you end up with, and they are way cheaper per person than other cuts. They are also a little more forgiving in that less surface area is exposed to the smoke, so you can't really "oversmoke" one. I suppose you could, but it's more difficult than most others. And since it's such a high fat content, they are way more forgiving with moisture content.

I've never done ribs for a group, because frankly, they're too expensive for me. 12 people = 6 full racks. On average, the regular price (at least around these parts) is just a hair south of $15/rack. Sometimes they have them on sale for 1.99/lb, but they are definitely not baby back ribs. They label them "Pork loin back ribs" and are considerably larger bone with less meat.

I try to keep my smoker around 225-250, I use natural lump coal, and - at least with pork - prefer apple wood chunks (not soaked). I shoot for a thin blue smoke out of the stack, as that seems to impart just enough smoke flavor to please everyone.

But I use a different smoker than the WSM. I use a horizontal barrel style smoker/grill combo. Currently in the market for another one though.

That's what I've found works great for my tastes. I know you didn't ask for my amateur advice, and I am by NO means an expert; just a guy who likes to cook slabs of animal flesh on the weekends with family, friends, and cigars. And let's not forget the beer

Last edited by pektel; 04-03-2013 at 12:46 PM.
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #3762
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I know you didn't ask for my amateur advice, and I am by NO means an expert; just a guy who likes to cook slabs of animal flesh on the weekends with family, friends, and cigars. And let's not forget the beer
Ha, you're way ahead of me on the experience, so I appreciate the insight. I get the ribs at Costco and they're definitely not $15 per rack, but now I can't recall whether they say baby back or pork loin back. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

I just read on the vitual bullet that ribs can be one of the hardest foods to get right, so I may not make such a large scale attempt as a first smoke. Maybe I'll do a couple of bacon explosions as appetizers so I can scatch my itch without ruining dinner.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #3763
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Colin, a lot of those guys compete, so "right" to them can have scoring connotations. "Right" to the home cook is much easier. Just look up the "tear test" for ribs, it's really not as hard as some might make it sound. Nothing wrong with spares or St. Louis ribs either, they taste the same, cost less and you get more meat but they take a little bit longer to cook. You might need a rib rack to get a few slabs in the cooker though, since they don't roll up easily like bbrs.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3764
BigCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Colin, a lot of those guys compete, so "right" to them can have scoring connotations. "Right" to the home cook is much easier. Just look up the "tear test" for ribs, it's really not as hard as some might make it sound. Nothing wrong with spares or St. Louis ribs either, they taste the same, cost less and you get more meat but they take a little bit longer to cook. You might need a rib rack to get a few slabs in the cooker though, since they don't roll up easily like bbrs.
Thanks for the encouragement. I picked up a couple of rib racks, so I'll hopefully be ok there. I may just go ahead with the ribs. I'm not a total noobie to ribs, just have never used a smoker before. I appreciate all the help in here.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #3765
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Picking up a couple of cases of butts tomorrow for little picnic the park this weekend.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #3766
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Colin, my ribs improved enormously when I realized they were easy to "over smoke" which created a really dark bark. Go for a clean burn with the thin blue smoke like Peter said. The other tip that really helped me was 3-2-1 for spares. That is 3 hours in the smoker at 225-235, two hours on the smoker but wrapped in foil with a little apple juice added, then one hour with the foil opened back up to reset the bark. Of course you will find you adjust that some according to how you cook, but it is a good rule of thumb.

I have found I usually go a little more than three hours before I foil. I get them to the color I want which is usually more like 3.5 hours. The last hour I check them frequently to get them right where I want them tenderness wise. It is usually more like 30 minutes or so.

For babybacks the times are shorter. I still do about three hours for the first segment, but start checking them after about 1.5 hours in the foil. Once they are a little more tender than I want them I take them out of the smoker, open the foil, and let them rest a bit to firm up the bark. The meat firms up as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #3767
BigCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Colin, my ribs improved enormously when I realized they were easy to "over smoke" which created a really dark bark. Go for a clean burn with the thin blue smoke like Peter said. The other tip that really helped me was 3-2-1 for spares. That is 3 hours in the smoker at 225-235, two hours on the smoker but wrapped in foil with a little apple juice added, then one hour with the foil opened back up to reset the bark. Of course you will find you adjust that some according to how you cook, but it is a good rule of thumb.

I have found I usually go a little more than three hours before I foil. I get them to the color I want which is usually more like 3.5 hours. The last hour I check them frequently to get them right where I want them tenderness wise. It is usually more like 30 minutes or so.

For babybacks the times are shorter. I still do about three hours for the first segment, but start checking them after about 1.5 hours in the foil. Once they are a little more tender than I want them I take them out of the smoker, open the foil, and let them rest a bit to firm up the bark. The meat firms up as well.
Thanks, Gator. I'm glad to hear the endorsement of 3-2-1. I've read about a few different techniques and wasn't sure what to go with. I'll give it a shot and be mindful of oversmoking. I think I'll use apple wood and see how it goes.

And thanks to everyone for the wisdom. There is obviously a lot of knowledge here - I appreciate how willingly it is shared.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #3768
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

last weekends adventures

Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #3769
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I like what Peter and Brent said about over-smoking. If you taste your ribs and they taste like they have been
in a house fire, you know you failed the over-smoke test. Thin, blue smoke is the only way to go.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #3770
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Smoker is lit, meat is getting rubbed, cigars and bourbon standing by...
Posted via Mobile Device
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3771
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Smoker is lit, meat is getting rubbed, cigars and bourbon standing by...
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm gettin in the car!!

Sounds like the way to spend the weekend.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #3772
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
I'm gettin in the car!!

Sounds like the way to spend the weekend.
Looking forward to seeing you again Jason!

16 butts and a mess of beans to get things started...
Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #3773
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I knew I smelled something heavenly Steve!!! A guy has an 84 for sale in G'ville, but I am still looking for a 60.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #3774
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Looking forward to seeing you again Jason!

16 butts and a mess of beans to get things started...
how shiiiite Steve I would love to be standing in front of a smoker like that! Hope all went well and turned out fantastic
Old 04-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #3775
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Just pulled 3 pork butts off the smoker. doing 3 more tomorrow. Got a big tailgate party on Tuesday.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #3776
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

16 butts wrapped and resting Saturday night...

All that was left Sunday afternoon

Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #3777
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Normally I would never cut the ribs apart before cooking nor leave the membrane on the back (inside), but these came that way and I wasn't going to pass up organic grass feed & finished beef ribs from Eel River Ranch for $1.50/lb.

Used it as an opportunity to test a few different glazes, had some interesting results. A mix of apricot jam, sriracha sauce, apple cider vinegar and a dash of oyster sauce seemed to be the winner with the plum/cherry/oak smoke.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg w100_5537.jpg (91.4 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg w100_5542.jpg (72.9 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg w100_5545.jpg (48.4 KB, 692 views)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #3778
Moose6026
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Moose6026 will become famous soon enough

My mouth waters when I look at this thread
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #3779
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Ok I'm trying this on Sat but instead of sausage inside I will be using a split pork tenderloin with orange marmalade stuffing and my own dry rub between the stuffing and the roast. Pics if it works.
Ok made the roast instead of the sausage learned I need to split the roast deeper for the spices and stuffing to affect the whole roast instead of the top half.

Pics will be up tonight of the results. All in all it was still delicious thanks for the ideas on how to make it.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #3780
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Haha, Adam, it looks like you bought those Piggly Wiggly beef ribs I used to get, where they flanken cut all
the meat off for another product, leave you with giant shiners, and they charge you a crazy per pound rate
for basically bones....and still have the nerve to call it 'beef ribs'. I had to stop buying them. They used to
be in the reduced rack all the time, but again, heavy bones were not something I was interested in buying
after I was told not to give the guard dog any more bones. I even got tired of the flavor.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote