Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Florida recommendations

I'm going to EPIC in November and I am in the process of planning my trip to Florida. I want to stay for about 3 weeks, and I am thinking about a week in Miami, a week in the Orlando area and then a few days at the herf.

Now what I definitely want to do is drive down to the keys, spend a few days at Calle Ocho, visit a gator farm, smoke @ Corona, visit Bill @ Island Smoke shop and go to the shootingrange with Catfish.

What else should I do while I am down there?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Florida recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I'm going to EPIC in November and I am in the process of planning my trip to Florida. I want to stay for about 3 weeks, and I am thinking about a week in Miami, a week in the Orlando area and then a few days at the herf.

Now what I definitely want to do is drive down to the keys, spend a few days at Calle Ocho, visit a gator farm, smoke @ Corona, visit Bill @ Island Smoke shop and go to the shootingrange with Catfish.

What else should I do while I am down there?
If you are going to the keys and have never been there, Key West is a must.
Check out other current threads on that.

In the Miami area, tons to do.
South Beach is a must.
Coconut Grove is a must.
Obviously for a cigar lover, all the factories in the Miami area are a must.
Cuban restaurants are a must (forget the tourist traps - gotta go to Molina's Ranch in Hialeah for the best Cuban food, period).
Miami is a tourist Mecca. Tons of stuff to do. Budget and likes important.

As for Corona, been there done that. Nice place but I think you will have more fun visiting the many great folks at their factories like Willie (Titan), Padilla, Ernesto at La Gloria, Pepin, Padron, Perdomo, etc.

Orland is another tourist Mecca. Again, tons and tons to do and eat, just like Miami. Budget and tastes will be necessary to help out more.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I think you are too far south but, St. Augustine is nice for Cigar Smokers.

I found several decent B&M's, and there is a nice little joint just around the corner from the 'old city' area.

If you do find yourself up that way, fire one up!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I could prolly make it to St Augustine to see you
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I think you should just stay with me for three weeks... We could work the cows and take care of the rental properties!! Not much mowing to do at that time of year... so we could mostly just smoke.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Pepin, Padron, Padilla, Sosa, Perdomo are some of the factories here. Sabor Havana is the best shop IMO. For sure drive to Key West!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I think you should just stay with me for three weeks... We could work the cows and take care of the rental properties!! Not much mowing to do at that time of year... so we could mostly just smoke.
Sounds good to me.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Sounds good to me.
The offer is good for you too
Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The offer is good for you too
Brent...if I had three weeks...I'd be there in a minute brother!! I can hear my wife now..."You're herfing for how long?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Just take your cows and have them mow the grass for you. Three weeks and my wife would kill me. I say wife since we'll be married by then
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
If you are going to the keys and have never been there, Key West is a must.
Check out other current threads on that.

In the Miami area, tons to do.
South Beach is a must.
Coconut Grove is a must.
Obviously for a cigar lover, all the factories in the Miami area are a must.
Cuban restaurants are a must (forget the tourist traps - gotta go to Molina's Ranch in Hialeah for the best Cuban food, period).
Miami is a tourist Mecca. Tons of stuff to do. Budget and likes important.

As for Corona, been there done that. Nice place but I think you will have more fun visiting the many great folks at their factories like Willie (Titan), Padilla, Ernesto at La Gloria, Pepin, Padron, Perdomo, etc.

Orland is another tourist Mecca. Again, tons and tons to do and eat, just like Miami. Budget and tastes will be necessary to help out more.
Visiting the factories is high on the list and I will spend a few days doing that, last time we only had a day at Calle Ocho of which we spend most time at Titan (no Willie though) and Bill took us to a great Cuban restaurant, but since my WLS food isn't high on the list anyway

is Ybor a "must see" thing, and how about Tampa?

The budget depends on how much Brent's paying me to scare his cows and destroy his rental properties
Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #13
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Trading: (4)
Partagas
guado will become famous soon enoughguado will become famous soon enough

Ybor is tiny. Lots of history in the city. Only a couple shops that roll on premises nowdays. It's a cool hangout and we have lots of shops in the tampa area. However to go waaaay out of your way from miami is hard to say.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I will be in FL for 3 weeks, not staying 3 weeks in Miami only. Tampa is shops only, or are there still some factories to visit?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
CheapHumidors
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
CheapHumidors is on a distinguished road

Tampa has some factories, but we have some amazing shops with incredible selections here. You should definitely come visit, maybe go to Ybor and watch them roll.

If you're in Orlando, hit up Corona's on Sand Lake road.

If you visit Tampa, check out King Corona's in Ybor (not a huge selection, but they've got beer/wine and a good location). Cigar Castle on 56th Street has an ABSURDLY well stocked humidor and free beer (when they're not out).

Let me know if you can make it to Tampa! I always like meeting up with people for a stogie or three!
CheapHumidors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I think I have my general trip planned.

Fly into Orlando, smoke at Corona, then off to Gainesville for a wednesday beer night with the Gainesville crew. Visit some attractions in the Orlando area (want to go to gatorworld for sure), hook up with Catfish to go shooting somewhere in the weekend. Then off to Miami for a week to 10 days. And on the way back to Ocala for Epic I will take a detour and visit Tampa/Ybor.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #17
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I will fly into Orlando on tuesday oct 26 and stay in the Orlando area a few days, visiting gatorworld, Corona cigar company, drink beer with the UF kids in Gainesville, shoot n herf in the weekend and maybe visit Satellite beach too.

Then I will drive to Miami on tuesday nov 2nd, already booked a hotel on Ocean Drive. Want to drive to Key West, take a daytrip on the Everglades, spend some time at Calle Ocho, visit Bill at the Island Smoke Shop and just be a regular tourist.

Thursday the 11th I will drive to Tampa and visit Ybor, booked a room at the Hilton garden inn. The next morning I will head to Ocala for EPIC!

So if the local crews want to herf, lemme know, I'm game.