Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
staminator

Default Zippo Pipe Lighter

Hello -

I looked around on the forum, but I did not find any information related to this. I have previously lit my pipe with matches or a soft flame butane.

Today I picked up a Zippo lighter with the intent on purchasing a butane insert for lighting cigars, but I saw one that was labeled as a "pipe lighter." I sprung for it thinking it might be a nice pipe lighter instead. I also picked up some Zippo fuel, but it is certainly not odorless in comparison to butane fuel. Cool design though. I definitely won't burn my fingers like before.

Finally to my question....Do you guys think the "odor" will affect the taste of my tobacco? Or should I just buy the butane insert and light up some cigars with it? Just looking for an opinion since I haven't tried it out yet. I'm from Syracuse, NY and its in the 20's outside!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Zippo Pipe Lighter

One man's opinion: a Zippo-flippo with pipe insert and the black can fuel is the undisputed cat-daddy of not-a-Corona-Old-Boy pipe lighters. Wipe insert sides with Vaseline to extend the time between refills. After a while a pipe being lit without that little hint of naptha seems pointless. If you have the shiny cover you can use it, mirror-like, to check out if your initial light was even, too. And you stick a spare flint in the little hile in the felt if you didn't already know about that. Lifetime warranty? Natch.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
KillerCelt
Alliteration is key

First Name: Adam
Trading: (1)
KillerCelt is on a distinguished road

My zippo pipe lighter was one of the best pipe purchases I have ever made. You cannot beat the dependability of a zippo and the taste it imparts on the tobacco is very slight.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Kind of on topic...has anybody tried the Xikar Pipeline lighter? It looks pretty nice and I was considering picking one up. At the moment I'm just using a bic to light my pipe.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
staminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Kind of on topic...has anybody tried the Xikar Pipeline lighter? It looks pretty nice and I was considering picking one up. At the moment I'm just using a bic to light my pipe.
Actually, I friend of mine has one of these. It works great, but somehow I still manage to burn my fingers with it. Then again, that's just me. I'd say go for it! (or you could always get a Zippo like myself )
Old 12-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
staminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
One man's opinion: a Zippo-flippo with pipe insert and the black can fuel is the undisputed cat-daddy of not-a-Corona-Old-Boy pipe lighters. Wipe insert sides with Vaseline to extend the time between refills. After a while a pipe being lit without that little hint of naptha seems pointless. If you have the shiny cover you can use it, mirror-like, to check out if your initial light was even, too. And you stick a spare flint in the little hile in the felt if you didn't already know about that. Lifetime warranty? Natch.
Unfortunately, I do not have the shiny one but thanks for the hints.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I know if you sned it in you can get a free pipe style chimnea,however , this worked for me.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=415
Old 12-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
staminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCelt View Post
My zippo pipe lighter was one of the best pipe purchases I have ever made. You cannot beat the dependability of a zippo and the taste it imparts on the tobacco is very slight.
You're right. There is very little taste imparted on the tobacco. I just tried it tonight with some Habana Premium tobacco (can't remember the blend). Mmmmm delicious
Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

Its Anniversary Kake just for future reference Nick
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
staminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 View Post
Its Anniversary Kake just for future reference Nick
And here I thought it was spelled cake...like chocolate cake.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

nope.... Kake is much tastier than cake
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

I agree wholeheartedly with Moo. I havee had other lighters before but they always crap out and I always come back to my zippo.

I won't stray anymore. They are also awesome with their customer service. I had to send mine back to get it repaired and they send a spare pipe insert and some extra flints when they sent it back to me.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Cornbread556

I've been using the zippo pipe lighter with great success and don't want to use anything else.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

If you are talking about a butane torch insert for your Zippo they work great for cigars, not so good for pipes..Don't do it...
Here is another option, if odor is your concern, a soft flame butane insert for Zippo's.
Walkers sells them and they have a lifetime warranty.
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html..._lighters.html
Old 02-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

I use a regular zippo for my pipe I find that I simply rotate the pipe onto its side and light without needing a special insert. By the way I use the zippo with the Zippo fuel to light cigars as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #16
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road

I use my Zippo pipe lighter to light cigarettes. I only use it to light a pipe if I'm outdoors and wind is a factor, in which case is a lifesaver. Having to puff so hard to reverse the flame's direction down into the bowl inevitably zorches my tongue.
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote