Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #101
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Mac's Apple Pie Shine

I was going to try to make this. No 190 everclear here

Maybe I'll try it with the weaker everclear.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #102
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Thought it would be better if I posted my recipe here...more cost effective than sending out pints.

Mac's Applie Pie Shine
Prep time 5 Min
Cook time 30 Min

Ingredients:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider (make sure to get a legit cider. It makes for a better product.)
3 cups white sugar
1 table spoon of Vanilla Extract
8 cinnamon sticks (again, get a legit brand. Spend the extra cash.)
1.5 (750 milliliter) bottles 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol
6-8 shots of Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka

Directions:
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar, vanilla extract and eight cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely (overnight preferred). When juice mixture is cool, Stir in the grain alcohol and place in jars.

Store in fridge. Before serving, shake the jar (cinnamon residue will float to the bottom), pour in a cup of ice, and drink up!!
alright time to start mass production
Old 10-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #103
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
alright time to start mass production
I am so trying to make some of this tonight! Glad someone posted about this so I could see it, good recipe mac!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #104
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
I am so trying to make some of this tonight! Glad someone posted about this so I could see it, good recipe mac!
Cole...if you read page two of this thread, I posted the recipe last year. Always good to read some old threads from the beginning.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #105
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Cole...if you read page two of this thread, I posted the recipe last year. Always good to read some old threads from the beginning.
Yeah, I read from the beginning, I was just happy that someone posted to the thread again so it would bump up to the front page of the forums!!!

Looks great though mac!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #106
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I read from the beginning, I was just happy that someone posted to the thread again so it would bump up to the front page of the forums!!!

Looks great though mac!
Tastes even better.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #107
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas

Mac. Can you pm me how you get your everclear in va? My local abc doesn't carry it.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #108
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Mac. Can you pm me how you get your everclear in va? My local abc doesn't carry it.
One of the benefits of being retired Army is that I can still use the class 6 store Cole. Virginia has a state law that only allows VA ABC stores to sell the 150 proof...whereas on post, I can still buy the 190 proof.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #109
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

made my first 1/2 batch last night that is not the bottle of everclear I got a 750 from a
friend and gave him that one. going to have a bon fire tonight and got 1 gallon of
mac sauce
Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #110
Mutombo

This sounds really good, I'm going to have to make it for the holidays.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #111
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

do not bother it is no good everyone drank it all up and laughed (actually cried where is some more)I should have made a full batch
Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #112
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

This years batches were another success at Epic IV. (Note to self...make three batches next year, as two was not enough)

Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #113
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
This years batches were another success at Epic IV. (Note to self...make FOUR batches next year, as two was not enough)

fixt
Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #114
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

With the holidays fast approaching, a good supply of pie shine is a necessity! Which has got me thinking about ways to tweak the recipe... and I'm pretty sure mac has already tried a number of things, so here's a few questions for ya!

As the recipe stands now, I calculated it to be roughly 13% - 14% ABV

1) What would be the affect of using 2gal of cider instead of 1gal cider and 1gal apple juice?

2a) How about doubling the everclear and leaving all else constant - would the apple flavor get too watery?

2b) If one started with more apple mixture and cooked it down slowly until some evaporated, would the resulting more potent apple mixture offset the increased everclear content?

3) Ever try leaving the cinnamon sticks in the bottle of everclear for about a month prior to making the batches?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #115
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Well Francis...

1) What would be the affect of using 2gal of cider instead of 1gal cider and 1gal apple juice? I believe the apple juice takes the tartness out of the shine, although if you want a little tartness, go with all cider. And it would make the shine really murky as opposed to a clearer look.

2a) How about doubling the everclear and leaving all else constant - would the apple flavor get too watery? I tried this once...and it tasted nothing like apple pie. Just a too strong for me alcohol taste.

2b) If one started with more apple mixture and cooked it down slowly until some evaporated, would the resulting more potent apple mixture offset the increased everclear content? Not sure how this would effect it, Everclear and Pinnacle are added the following morning after it's cooled down.

3) Ever try leaving the cinnamon sticks in the bottle of everclear for about a month prior to making the batches? Might have to give this a try...
Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #116
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

thanks mac

I'll do a little playing around, see what I come up with. And then again, sometimes things can't be improved upon

Got the idea of soaking the cinnamon sticks from when I made limoncello. have to soak the lemon zest in everclear for 2 weeks minimum... 3+ months if you want a reallllly smooth product.

Beyond that I have no experience with moonshining, so maybe it wouldnt work at all with the cinnamon!

I've got a little time to soak it if i start now, since I won't be able to get the vodka until Dec 10
Old 11-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #117
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This years batches were another success at Epic IV. (Note to self...make three batches next year, as two was not enough)
For realz. I barely got a glass. Matter of fact, I took the last glass of it and that was about dusk on Saturday. It was gone, bro. Bunch of damn lushes.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #118
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
For realz. I barely got a glass. Matter of fact, I took the last glass of it and that was about dusk on Saturday. It was gone, bro. Bunch of damn lushes.
That's cause you're slow Ritchie. Put some out Friday night and some more out Saturday morning. Might have to come up with a better "ration plan" for next year.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #119
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

ration plan is "make more shine, much more shine"
Old 11-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #120
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
ration plan is "make more shine, much more shine"
Yeah yeah yeah!!