Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Pipe Smoker Survey

hey guys, I just got this in my email from PipesandTobaccos magazine, it took me like 10 minutes to complete (if that)

http://pipesmokersurvey.com/

I don't know what it will accomplish in the big picture, but it's not intrusive and allows you to give some input

cheers
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pipe Smoker Survey

Done! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
B.L. Sims

Done
Old 09-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

I did it.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

done! mentioned that other place....Funny
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
done! mentioned that other place....Funny
i was just going to reply that Q: #32 had "that other place" listed, and i felt very proud.

i would like to know why you think that's funny?
there are a number of us here that took a great deal of time, effort, and a sh*tload of pride into making that place one of the best places (friendly/helpful) for pipe info on the net.
i'd add that the "other place" is mainly a cigar forum, and that the pipe forum didn't exist until just a few years ago, making it's mention in a large survey like this an honor.

sorry if I take offense to your "thumbs down", I personally invested a lot of time in making that place a great area for pipers...
if you're just giving the thumbs down to the current owner, then i'll agree with you there (although he really doesn't even poke his head down there - and that portion of the site has steadily grown and continues to be one of the best places online for discussing pipes and pipe tobacco).

that other place is a helluva lot busier than this place.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
i was just going to reply that Q: #32 had "that other place" listed, and i felt very proud.

i would like to know why you think that's funny?
there are a number of us here that took a great deal of time, effort, and a sh*tload of pride into making that place one of the best places (friendly/helpful) for pipe info on the net.
i'd add that the "other place" is mainly a cigar forum, and that the pipe forum didn't exist until just a few years ago, making it's mention in a large survey like this an honor.

sorry if I take offense to your "thumbs down", I personally invested a lot of time in making that place a great area for pipers...
if you're just giving the thumbs down to the current owner, then i'll agree with you there (although he really doesn't even poke his head down there - and that portion of the site has steadily grown and continues to be one of the best places online for discussing pipes and pipe tobacco).

Seriously Greg? Thats exactly what bothers me. I had a decent amount on interaction with you know who when the transition was happening and it sucks that something we all put so much effort into is part of that mess. The fact that older CS members go there even after the way so many of us got treated baffles me even further.

So yeah, I thought is sucked when PVFF got a mention of that survey too
Old 10-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have often wondered why that is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
The fact that older CS members go there even after the way so many of us got treated baffles me even further.
I'll admit it to ya Joe, I still go there. As you know, prior to late '08, there's over 10 years of valuable archives of knowledge and that's still hard for me to give up. I could give two chits about anything posted after 10/08 but I still like to read and research over there.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I have often wondered why that is?

I'll admit it to ya Joe, I still go there. As you know, prior to late '08, there's over 10 years of valuable archives of knowledge and that's still hard for me to give up. I could give two chits about anything posted after 10/08 but I still like to read and research over there.
I don't care one way or another Greg, I understand your point of view. I just don't agree with supporting it these days that's all
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Joe, i agree that when it was "bought" and the name changed, it sucked on many levels. but i don't see how relates to the heart and soul of that pipe forum, which was carried on by those that stayed and still remains to this day.
just because ownership/name changed doesn't mean that the people who remained and continued on with what we started have changed to go along with it.
have you been over there to see just how busy that place is? there are a lot of people over there, much more than when we were there. i posted over there for the first time in probably 2-3 months yesterday.

maybe i was out of the loop at the time of the "sale" because i had already stepped down as a mod there half a year prior, but i wasn't "treated" any differently by anyone over there.

aside from some people who were treated badly, of which i was not one and never gave them a reason to be treated badly, what does that have to do with the level of activity in the pipe forums, the knowledge that is still passed on in a friendly and on-topic manner?

sorry, but i, and the older members that got that area going (yourself included), put a good amount of time in making that place one of the best on the net for pipe discussions. i get pride in knowing that something i had a hand in is now regarding highly enough through the entire pipe community to even be listed in the same question as the like of Tobacco Reviews and Smokers Forums. whether it's now called "p*ff" or "CS", it's still the same people with the same heart and soul.

you think i have any interaction with the current owner? i don't give a rip about him...

again, I wasn't treated poorly, didn't deserve to be, so i wasn't. there is plenty of blame to go around in that entire fiasco (some ppl acted like little children, took their cues from established members who also acted like little children and didn't have anything better to do than to go over there and cause problems - not saying who, cuz i don't give a fVck and have forgotten - and they did their fair share of retaliation and instigation), NONE of which has anything to do with the fact that it is STILL one of the best forums for pipe related discussions.

so, aside from what happened during the buyout/name change, did the pipe forums change along with it? no.
they continue with the foundation we laid down, it continues to grow and is one of the premier spots on the net for pipe discussions, something of which i'm proud of.

if you remove how you were "treated", or anyone that you know, and just look at it from the perspective i mention in the paragraph above, you may feel the same way i do. if you can't put that out of your mind, then i would only expect you to feel disgust when seeing that "name" being portrayed in a positive light.

i put a lot of time into that area, if it were called Nancy's Pipe Blowers now, i wouldn't care. i know what i did in my time there, the pipe forums were a great place to be, helpful, friendly, and it grew and grew... it continues to this day... so if it were still "CS", i'd still feel the same amount of pride when it gets national attention, cuz i know i had a hand in laying the foundation that it is built upon.
if you can't see my stance, there's nothing more i can say to explain it.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

I got to about page 3 of this survey before I lost interest and bailed.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
if you remove how you were "treated", or anyone that you know, and just look at it from the perspective i mention in the paragraph above, you may feel the same way i do. if you can't put that out of your mind, then i would only expect you to feel disgust when seeing that "name" being portrayed in a positive light.

i put a lot of time into that area, if it were called Nancy's Pipe Blowers now, i wouldn't care. i know what i did in my time there, the pipe forums were a great place to be, helpful, friendly, and it grew and grew... it continues to this day... so if it were still "CS", i'd still feel the same amount of pride when it gets national attention, cuz i know i had a hand in laying the foundation that it is built upon.
if you can't see my stance, there's nothing more i can say to explain it.
We are going to have to agree to disagree then. It is not the same forum, not everybody who built it up is there anymore (myself included). I think content brings people in, but the people ultimately are what make forums good places. The fact that so many people got miss treated, some had it coming, some didn't, and that the stuff we did is now being used to turn a buck for someone who is an a$$hat of the highest degree does not make me proud at all. You should give a rip about the owner, would you still shop at a store that miss treated you or anybody you knew? I wouldn't, but maybe thats just me.

Premier place for pipe smokers you say? That's great, it fills my heart with joy to know that someone else is making money off all the fun we had there. That certainly captures the spirit of the old forum to a T.

A better question is why come here and stir the pot in the first place? You hardly post here anyways and the board exists as an asylum (excuse the pun) for people who felt wronged by the whole thing in the first place. Do you really think many people here of all places are going to agree with you?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
We are going to have to agree to disagree then. It is not the same forum, not everybody who built it up is there anymore (myself included). I think content brings people in, but the people ultimately are what make forums good places. The fact that so many people got miss treated, some had it coming, some didn't, and that the stuff we did is now being used to turn a buck for someone who is an a$$hat of the highest degree does not make me proud at all. You should give a rip about the owner, would you still shop at a store that miss treated you or anybody you knew? I wouldn't, but maybe thats just me.
the content there still brings people in.
because the owner is an "asshat" who's trying to make a buck doesn't even cross my mind when posting there (which i hadn't for months until yesterday).
how the new owner factors into what you helped build and your ability to be proud of what you did, makes zero sense to me.
is roger staubach still proud of what he did with the Cowboys now that Jerry Jones is the owner and a jagoff? i'm sure he is.

Quote:
Premier place for pipe smokers you say? That's great, it fills my heart with joy to know that someone else is making money off all the fun we had there. That certainly captures the spirit of the old forum to a T.
do you honestly believe the people who are posting over there are doing it so the owner can make a buck? have you lost your mind?
why are you so hung up on the owner in this discussion and not the point that what you helped build is thought of in such a high regard?
did i say that the current owner and the "spirit" which still remains in the pipe forum are one and the same?? no, i didn't.
you are the one attempting to stir the pot, joe, not me.

Quote:
A better question is why come here and stir the pot in the first place? You hardly post here anyways and the board exists as an asylum (excuse the pun) for people who felt wronged by the whole thing in the first place. Do you really think many people here of all places are going to agree with you?
i didn't come here to "stir the pot" in the first place, i asked the dude a simple question, wasn't attempting to stir the pot, YOU are by taking offense to a simple post of mine.
i don't give a flyin flip if anyone agrees with me or not - you should know me well enough by now to understand that i won't give a rats ass if anyone agrees with me on anything.
i asked the guy why it was "funny" that they mentioned that place and he gave it a thumbs down. i don't recall that guy giving much input into the pipe forum before the 'sale' anyway... maybe his username was different over there, i don't know, don't really care, was just wanting to know why it's funny to him.

it's obvious that you can't remove from your thought process the "sale" and how some people were treated afterwards from what it is that i'm saying, which is... what we built, laid the foundation for, is still expanding and going strong.
the thought of the new owner making a buck isn't what's crossing my mind when i think of that place, and i really don't care if he does or doesn't make a few pennies on my ramblings about pipe tobacco - that's not why i'm go there (or any other forum). i go there to help newer pipe smokers.

why am i coming here? am i not allowed to come here? is it not a public forum?
why do you come here?
as far as not posting here often, if you check any other forums i am a member of, i haven't posted much of anything for 3+ months until YESTERDAY. been a bit busy, lots going on... i don't see how that should keep me from posting here now, though.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
the content there still brings people in.
because the owner is an "asshat" who's trying to make a buck doesn't even cross my mind when posting there (which i hadn't for months until yesterday).
how the new owner factors into what you helped build and your ability to be proud of what you did, makes zero sense to me.
is roger staubach still proud of what he did with the Cowboys now that Jerry Jones is the owner and a jagoff? i'm sure he is.
I know the content brings people in, thats part of what bothers me. After what happened he wouldn't delete my content, which annoys me to this day. I don't know roger staubach personally, I don't know. On a more personal example, I can say that when I sold my business last year and found out later everyone I knew had been pretty much laid off it did bother me. Needless to say I won't be shopping at the store that bought my place.

Same goes for the other place I guess. Even if I could go back I wouldn't. It's not the same without all the people who made it special. I never really cared about the content, I posted there and called it home cause I liked the crowd. Crowd is different, place is different, ownership is different, not the same anymore.

Quote:
do you honestly believe the people who are posting over there are doing it so the owner can make a buck? have you lost your mind?
why are you so hung up on the owner in this discussion and not the point that what you helped build is thought of in such a high regard?
did i say that the current owner and the "spirit" which still remains in the pipe forum are one and the same?? no, i didn't.
you are the one attempting to stir the pot, joe, not me.
I didn't say that. I doubt it goes through anyones mind. But it bothers me, which is what I said. And the owner does make a difference to me. I'm glad you don't care, but I do. He miss treated people who are my friends, banned me for a reason i've long since forgotten, and turned that place into some weird ad ridden hybrid.

Quote:
i didn't come here to "stir the pot" in the first place, i asked the dude a simple question, wasn't attempting to stir the pot, YOU are by taking offense to a simple post of mine.
i don't give a flyin flip if anyone agrees with me or not - you should know me well enough by now to understand that i won't give a rats ass if anyone agrees with me on anything.
i asked the guy why it was "funny" that they mentioned that place and he gave it a thumbs down. i don't recall that guy giving much input into the pipe forum before the 'sale' anyway... maybe his username was different over there, i don't know, don't really care, was just wanting to know why it's funny to him.
When you could have left it there asking why it was funny without going to detail why he was wrong? I'm certainly not the one who opened the pot on this one Greg

Quote:
it's obvious that you can't remove from your thought process the "sale" and how some people were treated afterwards from what it is that i'm saying, which is... what we built, laid the foundation for, is still expanding and going strong.
Very true. Maybe if things had gone differently or handled better I would still be posting there. But they weren't. And what we laid the foundations for are different in a way I don't like. You may be ok with that, i'm not.

Quote:
the thought of the new owner making a buck isn't what's crossing my mind when i think of that place, and i really don't care if he does or doesn't make a few pennies on my ramblings about pipe tobacco - that's not why i'm go there (or any other forum). i go there to help newer pipe smokers.
Your a better person than me. I'm sure they attract a lot of new pipe smokers and I hope whatever I might have posted way back when helps someone. But not for me, I hold grudges for a loooong time.

Quote:
why am i coming here? am i not allowed to come here? is it not a public forum?
We'd be better off if you posted more honestly.

Quote:
why do you come here?
Because it's not pvff

Quote:
as far as not posting here often, if you check any other forums i am a member of, i haven't posted much of anything for 3+ months until YESTERDAY. been a bit busy, lots going on... i don't see how that should keep me from posting here now, though.

It shouldn't Greg. But why waste your breath on a topic thats been beat to death. Not everyone likes the other place, many are here exactly because of that, and not everyone agrees with you. The unofficial line he is just to not mention it. It's a sore spot for a lot of us. We could be talking about something more constructive right now, like say pipes, but instead we are too busy disagreeing with each other
Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #16
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Joe & Greg. I am friends with you both and have the utmost respect for you.

You both have made your points on the issue. At this point, I don't see the continued debate/discussion being of any benefit to the rest of the community.

I'm sure the others are more interested in your perspectives on pipes and pipe tobacco-not pipe forums.

Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #17
Curly Cut
Not Scary

fair enough takes, Joe.

I haven't posted anywhere since July, until yesterday, like i mentioned.
saw this thread, took the survey, then saw that response because i saw the question and actually smiled. i didn't think of what happened, or who owns the place, i just recalled that i was part of the reason why it's now being mentioned in the same breath as other benchmark pipe websites like tobacco reviews and smokers forums. so, i didn't find it "funny" in the least bit. <--- anyway, that doesn't matter, you're right.

as far as me posting more, i doubt that happens anywhere any time soon, other than a large sale when i get a chance.

didn't know that discussing that place in a positive manner was frowned upon......

if the admins deem it prudent, i am all for them removing all my posts in this thread.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
fair enough takes, Joe.

didn't know that discussing that place in a positive manner was frowned upon......

if the admins deem it prudent, i am all for them removing all my posts in this thread.
Try discussing this place over there and see what happens

Anyways, i'm done. Sorry for giving you trouble Peter.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Try discussing this place over there and see what happens
Holy sh!t, no. Craputo's head would explode.

Quote:
Anyways, i'm done. Sorry for giving you trouble Peter.
No trouble at all.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #20
Tobacmon
New to this street!

First Name: Paul
Tobacmon is on a distinguished road

survey is now closed !!!!