Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Diesel Unholy Cocktail

Please bear with me as this is my first review and after chewing Copenhagen for 20 yrs. my palate is not the best but here is my take on the situation...

EricF bombed me some Diesel's to try and today I got the chance to fire up an Unholy Cocktail Torpedo, after taking off the cello the wrapper on this stick is just glistening with oil, dark and rich with hardly any veins and the construction is top notch, the smell of the stick is a sweet spicy smell and the pre-light draws has the same spicy taste.

Name:  uc.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  48.6 KB

Temp. outside is about 70 degrees with a bit of a breeze, I smoked in the bottom of my pool that I drained this week in an attempt to get out of the wind, this stick lit right up and the first couple of draws there were some strong pepper notes with an underlying sweet dark chocolate. Not copius amounts of smoke but enough to piss off the neighbors.

Name:  uc1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  51.7 KB

The pepper fell off in short order and some nice floral notes came in along with the chocolate (the chocolate never went away, always there through the whole stick) heading into the second third I started to get some nice spice through the nose, not overpowering just a nice spice to go with the chocolate.

Name:  uc2.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  33.8 KB
Name:  uc5.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  38.2 KB

This stick has a nice firm salt and pepper ash with just a bit of flaking, I had a couple of uneven burn issues that I would chalk up to the breeze or my less than stellar lighting skills but I doubt it was the stick, the ash on this thing would just not let go.

Well I started to get to hot in the pool so I changed locale's to start on the final third, the chocaolate flavor is still there but it picks up into more of a dark chocolate, the spice is back and picks up a little in intensity along with a hit of pepper which has been gone since I lit it, the ash finally broke free towards the end.

Name:  uc9.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  40.1 KB

As I write this my mouth still tastes like I just ate chocolate, what a great smoke, medium strength and I would say a medium flavor, it wasn't very complex but there was enough to keep it interesting and boy did it taste great, for $100 for a box of 30 these will be on my buy list!!! Thanks again Eric
Old 05-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Re: Diesel Unholy Cocktail

Pretty good for a first review...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, I've been dipping for 35 years. As one unbridled tobacco addict to another, you have some amazing smoking ahead.
If the Unholy turned you on, wait till you honk on a blue band O or an Anejo that's "on", or a JJ Maduro. You're gona be in heaven!!!
Well done review, brother. Thank You!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Mike, I've been dipping for 35 years. As one unbridled tobacco addict to another, you have some amazing smoking ahead.
If the Unholy turned you on, wait till you honk on a blue band O or an Anejo that's "on", or a JJ Maduro. You're gona be in heaven!!!
I have an Anejo sitting here waiting for me thank you.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Scott is spot on about those other cigars Mike! The only one I haven't tried is the cloth band, but the others are just great!

And not a bad review either!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Nice review Mike
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Nice review Mike
Thanks Brian and Kreth.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

The Anejos are by far my favorite, followed closely by the DUC.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

OH, and great review
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
OH, and great review
Thank you bro, after seeing the Anejo reviews I can't wait to fire it up!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Scott hit the nail on the head. Been "dipping" Copenhagen for almost 34 years and I love these Unholy Cocktails. Must be why I love them dark & yummy, slap me in the face sticks.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Scott hit the nail on the head. Been "dipping" Copenhagen for almost 34 years and I love these Unholy Cocktails. Must be why I love them dark & yummy, slap me in the face sticks.
Yeah, I thought I would be more of a mild smoke guy but those do nothing for me at all, I like the fuller body ones, I think a box of these are in order and I really want to try some Cromagnon's
Old 05-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Great review, I too love the Diesel Unholy Cocktails. Those and the short stories are my two most often smoked sticks in the winter time. Also PC CC's and Shorts/El Principes.

Before winter comes I'll probably snag 2 boxes of these. On Cbid usually they go for $80-$85 bucks a box. Making them a $3 stick with shipping.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

good review...
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post

Temp. outside is about 70 degrees with a bit of a breeze, I smoked in the bottom of my pool that I drained this week in an attempt to get out of the wind
Well, I have to say: in the world of CA reviews, I think this is a first

Nice job!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #16
smokepuff

Good review Mike!
I enjoy one of these today that was gifted to me, I know I going to pick up a few of these real soon.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
smokepuff

Good review Mike!
I enjoyed one of these today that was gifted to me, I know I'm going to pick up a few of these tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

One of my favorites!!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #19
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

great review...

got myself pack of 5... can't wait them to arrive...

urghhh
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
Sherlockholms

Nice review Mike, I have been wanting to try this cigar. Just the look of it makes me want to smoke one.