Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
18i

Default Question about food container as Humidor and Heartfelt..

I'm trying to find a good setup that will keep my cigars safe without breaking the bank.. I got suggested using the airtight food container! which I find really great price wise.

So I thought of getting one, and add 1or2 Large HeartFelt beads tube and their small aluminum humidifier in it and thats it... with a hygrometer.

My questions are;
1. Now which is better? the tempered glass ones or just regular plastic ones?
2. Do I still need to "season" the container? Since its glass and not cedar/wood I'm assuming that I don't really need to season it!?
3. How do you guys choose between 65% and 70%? All of the stuff I have and would get are Cubans cigar... How would you explain the difference in taste-experience with a cigar stored @55-65% and @65-75%...

thx in advance!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question about food container as Humidor and Heartfelt..

1. Go with basic tupperware or rubbermaid containers -- ones that seal to keep food fresh. You could also get a small (or large) cooler. Those also seal well and provide a lot of storage -- which you will eventually need
  2. No seasoning required -- there is no wood.
  3. It's all personal preference. Try various levels of RH and find what you like.
BTW, in a sealed container like the above you can get by with less humidification (wood does not seal quite as well as plastic).

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
  1. Go with basic tupperware or rubbermaid containers -- ones that seal to keep food fresh. You could also get a small (or large) cooler. Those also seal well and provide a lot of storage -- which you will eventually need
  3. It's all personal preference. Try various levels of RH and find what you like.
BTW, in a sealed container like the above you can get by with less humidification (wood does not seal quite as well as plastic).
I kept a supply in a Rubbermaid container for a year on a long, contract assignment. Worked fine Agree with the above except to add that there are glass containers with airtight lids that would also be fine.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

The plastic containers with the silicon seal are completely air tight and work great. I have a "Lock & Lock" container I purchased from Amazon that I use for miscellaneous bundles. I put a small container of beads in with the bundles, and pretty much forget about it. Maybe every 3-4 months I add a little water to the beads. I'm not even honestly sure which beads I put in there. With bundles, I don't exactly obsess over it.

They really are an excellent way to store cigars.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Spot on, Michael.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

I switched from humidor to a food container with beads and im much happier. The humidity is always on point now.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Retiredguy
Life is good

First Name: Jack
Trading: (0)
Retiredguy is on a distinguished road

When I run out of space in my humidors I use a Ziploc storage container. They make one that roughly measures 10 x 6 x 3 that will hold about 25 cigars. A 3 pack sells for $4 or $5. I just toss a Boveda pack in and it will last for several months before it has to be replaced.
Retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I've been using a plastic food tupperware for 2 years now. I find 70% is good for my climate, although I dont have many cuban cigars. I tend to like my cubans at 65% or lower.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
IndyRob
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
IndyRob is on a distinguished road

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...078&navAction=

I picked up that set a few months ago, it has two containers in it that are (imho) perfect for storing cigars. I just unloaded about 60 cigars into one, along with a couple of gel packs and a hygrometer.

Being that it is clear, I can read the hygrometer without having to open the box. Sitting at 55% RH with just a couple of gel packs in it. I'll probably add a couple more as they'll be in there longer than I originally planned (did this last night).

Now - I'm not saying that you should go out and buy that whole set just for two containers. We use those frequently in my house for lunches, and left overs. My daughter loves to claim them and use them in her bath too, not sure what the appeal is, but it keeps her happy.
IndyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

My small collection of cigars are currently in a few tupperware containers. My large humidor sprung a massive leak somehow a couple months ago. So I saved all my cigars by going to walmart and buying a multipack of large tupperware.

Nothing seals better than tupperware.

Still waiting on my drawers from Forrest (GolfNut) for my wineador. Then I'll be all set in a newer, and much much larger humidor.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

I use the Wal-Mart generic version of the Lock & Lock (four fold-over tabs, one on each side). It's air tight and I know the lid is secure because of the multiple closures. The one I currently have will hold 10-15 and cost around $4, but I'm about to upgrade to something that will hold at least 25 (my first CBid order is on its way... those cheap 5-packs add up quick!).

I have a Boveda 72% in mine because that's all I could find locally. I was surprised that's all that's carried by 4 different B&Ms in my area, but I think they carry the higher RH because they know (or think) most people not in-the-know have leaky humis and need a little boost.

The slightly vain side of me is eying a 50-count wood humi and even likes the looks of glasstops and analog hygros, but the practical side of me knows I'll be paying $50+ for something that will perform worse than what I have already. Instead I'll likely pick up a DealExtreme digital hygro and velcro it inside the tuperdor with the display facing out for easy reading. I'll also probably add a second Boveda pack to the bigger box per their voulme guidelines. I'll hold on to the small box for travel, as it's a good size to toss in a suitcase or take to a guys-night.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Yep this all part of the slide downhill. I started with Ziploc bags, then tupperware, then one desktop humi...then two, then a small cooler, then a 120 quart cooler, I am at the wine fridges stage now; 2 suits me perfectly, have not graduated to the massive piece of furniture showcase humidor stage yet.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
18i

haha! thx for the heads up guys... I just placed an order with Heartfelt for 65%! cant wait to set things up!

thx again
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

haha
Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
18i

i just got a 2.6L Lock&Lock container, is that enough to store bout 30 full sized cigars (~47gauge/6inch)

can I pile them up to 3-4 floors or I need to keep it on a single row...?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

They will be fine if you stack them up. But I would rotate them around randomly every month or so.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote