Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Don Lino Africa Kifaro & Gorilla Knuckle

Nestor Miranda from Miami Cigar & Co and owner of the Don Lino brand, is an avid hunter and one of his hunting trip in Africa gave him the inspiration to create the Don Lino Africa line. It has been a few years since I smoked one, as they are discontinued, but I remember that I used to love this blend of Cameroon, Mexican, Dominican, Honduran and Nicaraguan tobacco.

The Don Lino Africa line didn’t come out with cigars, all African named of course, but also cool accessories like ash trays and humidors with African prints. As of the African names, think of Kifaro, Duma, Tembo, Punda Milia and all those names come from the Massai and are names for the big African animals. As far as I know My Father Cigars produced the cigars for Miami Cigar & Co.

Don Lino Africa Kifaro

This is a 6 1/4×52 torpedo with a dark, oily Nicaraguan Habano wrapper that looks great, the color is dark chocolate and I see a few minor veins. The construction feels great and the tip of the cigar is straight. The ring is beautiful, it has a very African color pattern with zebra stripes on the background, some burgundy, a lot of yellow and a big curly and stylish A on the front and Don Lino Africa on the side on a high quality paper and print. The cigar even has an African smell, or well, as I would expect an African savanna to smell in the morning.

I cut the cigar, the cold draw is fine with a toasty, raisin, peppery and minty flavor. After lighting I taste a peppery and sweet minty toast. After half an inch I taste spices, toast, lime and honey. After an inch I taste nutmeg with toast and pepper, all well balanced. Halfway I taste a strong pepper with honey and a little lime. The honey disappears and is replaced with a nice dose of lemon.

The draw is fantastic and the smoke is thick and full. The white ash is dense. The burn is decent but not perfect, it went rogue a little but it corrected itself. This cigar is full bodied and full flavored, well balanced with great evolution. The smoke time is an hour and a half.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish they made a comeback.

Score: 94

Don Lino Africa Gorilla Knuckle

I bought a box of these when the cigars were discontinued and these were the only remaining vitola, usually I wouldn’t buy a cigar with a 58 ring gauge but hey, I wanted some Don Lino Africa while they lasted. The ring is just as pretty as the kifaro as it’s the same ring but the wrapper looks a tiny bit lighter, just a shade though and has more veins. The tip also looks to be more in a curve and the cigar has a dryer aroma, more hay and straw than the Kifaro.

I cut the cigar, punching was no option because of the size. The cold draw is fine, I taste a mild raisin sweetness. After lighting I taste a sweet espresso with cinnamon. The espresso fades away, the cinnamon grows stronger and gets a little harsh edge, but it’s still very enjoyable. After a third I taste sugar and vanilla. In the final third I taste vanilla, cinnamon, wood and a peppery aftertaste, a little harsh but still enjoyable.

The draw is great. The smoke is thick, full, voluminous and white. The burn is a little uneven. The light colored ash is dense and firm. The cigar is medium plus bodied and flavored. The smoke time is fifty minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? Impossible

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...a-kifaro-duma/