Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough
Default Pre-embargo Clear Havanas- 1920s-1950s

A few months ago I bought a couple pre-embargo, somewhere between 1920's and 50's cigars from Brooks W. Naturally, as soon as I decided to splurge during an otherwise miserable winter, I cam down with the worst flu I have experienced. Needless to say these gems sat in my humidor awaiting their smoldering demise until I could manage to stay upright and taste things again.

With the sun finally shining over the nutmeg state, I broke out the "Petit Bouquet" perfecto. It is still a little cold, and windy than I anticipated, but here is my review. Pictures coming forthwith, or when I figure out how to get them out of my phone.

I have always been enamored by perfectos. In my mind, it is the quintessential cigar. Having sought out the few true perfectos on the market, I have an even deeper appreciation for them. The ring gage contently changes as you smoke through them, so they tend have more action than the same blend in a straight sided shape. Oliva's O perfecto is a great example of this phenomenon, or at least my theory thereof.

Unwrapping--I was very nervous that this stick was going to turn to dust. The foil was sort of tricky to get off. It was extremely delicate and had melded (but that god did not adhere) to the wrapper. Once I had the whole thing opened, the stick was pretty much intact.

I normally have a very spicy diet. Preparing for this smoke, I ate a very bland lunch so I wouldn't miss the subtleties of this smoke.

Cold draw--One end was open, and I forgot to note which end is officially "up" but I took a guess and drew from the already opened end. I got a faint incense floral scent. I clipped the other end just to make sure I didn't just torch the wrapper. The floral component was a little stronger and quit pleasant.

Light--Again, very cautious about the whole stick igniting in one burst, I applied the my torch lighter very carefully. My other fear which is always (I've heard) a fear with vintage cigars is it would be completely flavorless. Immediately, I was rewarded with a mix of flowery incense. Wow! It was the sweet perfume of a Cuban, only that perfume. No tobacco taste, no spice, barnyard, or anything else.

1st 3rd--The floral component dominated this smoke. The wind kicked up some gusts at the same time, but even the smoke coming back at me was like the incense rack at the local "tobacco shop." This was more like a very good aromatic pipe tobacco than cigar.

2nd 3rd--I went from visions of strolling through a field of wild flowers to rolling in it. Some light tea notes, but none of the spicy or earthy components that make me love cigars. If all cigar tasted like this, CA would be full of Bieber fans. It was however, a nearly perfect cigar for a spring day.

...and then...the wrapper started to unravel. The situation deteriorated quickly and the wrapper came off in sheets.

3rd 3rd--Really, beyond the 1/2 way mark (geometrically) I was holding the stick together with my fingers. Floral stayed dominate, but with some clove and slight herbal elements.

Overall--One hell of an experience. This cigar is at least 60 years old and could potentially be close to 100. The fact that it tasted like anything is amazing. The fact that it was enjoyable was great. It actually reminded me of Indian Beede cigarettes, which I smoked one summer because Charles Bukowski mentioned them once. I could have it smoked inside and claimed some damn hippies broke into the place, but I am a little more tan than I was this morning.

The big question--Box worthy? If they were available (for all I know that was the last one on earth) and reasonable I'd buy a box. I really wish I could go back in time and have a fresh one to see what if it the floral part was even perceptible. I probably wouldn't rip through it like My Father's lanceros, but they'd be a nice change of pace for that rare occasion when I was feeling sensitive and ordered "just a salad."
Old 04-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
brylee
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Steve
Trading: (2)
Cohiba Army (Served With Honor)
brylee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pre-embargo Clear Havanas- 1920s-1950s

Nice write up Joe. I had no idea a cigar would/could last that long.
brylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

You had to know this was coming...

Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
You had to know this was coming...

Maaaaaan, I'm working on it.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

Trinidad

And finally...pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140410_140153 (2).jpg (58.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg 20140410_140417.jpg (81.6 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 20140410_142410.jpg (50.1 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg 20140410_143135.jpg (51.7 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg 20140410_144351.jpg (52.9 KB, 301 views)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for writing about this. It was already good but reached another level when you were able to get Bukowski into a cigar review!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Nicely done.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like an incredible experience.
CRIMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Goes to show that with care a cigar can last a lifetime plus! Great to see someone in tobacco valley( alto I guess many of the fields are now business parks!) smoking cigars! My family owned Montgomery Company on 159 in Windsor Locks!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Goes to show that with care a cigar can last a lifetime plus! Great to see someone in tobacco valley( alto I guess many of the fields are now business parks!) smoking cigars! My family owned Montgomery Company on 159 in Windsor Locks!
Cool! I grew up in Enfield. I had a girlfriend in Windsor Locks, but not a car. I used to ride my bike which was a great ride accept crossing the CT river which was terrifying at the time before bike paths/bridges--just a 12 inch shoulder and a nice view of the 50ft drop into the ole' CT river.

Many, but not all of the fields are industrial parks. There is shade netting visible in from the highway near my house because it is stuck in a tree from our once every 50 years tornado.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
Thanks for writing about this. It was already good but reached another level when you were able to get Bukowski into a cigar review!
Ha! Try as I might to outgrow my bohemian parents...I am what I am. (I am allegedly named after a certain Country ___ and the Fish) Bukowski is the Man!

College student "Who are your three favorite writers?"

Bukowski "Charles Bukowski, Charles Bukowski...and Charles--doesn't anyone have a beer?"
Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Jitsupriebe
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
Jitsupriebe is on a distinguished road

Nice write up!
Jitsupriebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
CoronaCigar
Time to fire one up!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (0)
LGC
CoronaCigar is on a distinguished road

Excellent Review & thank you for sharing.
CoronaCigar is offline   Reply With Quote