Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #21
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Yard GARS

Frankly, at 55, I feel old and wise enough to know to smoke my best cigars first and never keep anything in my humidor other than what I consider my best cigars.
In this manner, even while doing yard work, I smoke my best cigars.
Life is way too short to do anything less if one can.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:18 AM   #22
Django
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Django
Trading: (1)
HdM
Django is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I'm not breaking balls here, but I see these types of posts on here sometimes and wonder why reply in a "Yard GARS" thread? It's like going into the "Gin" thread solely for the purpose of saying "Yuck, I don't like Gin. If I'm going to have a drink it'll be Scotch!"
There is a simple (and very obvious) reason I posted a reply in this thread even though I rarely smoke during yard work:

I AM A LOUDMOUTH and can't resist the urge to reply when I read posts

Why do I even read these topics you ask? It's a combination of my need for both entertainment and education.

Having said this I do however (sometimes) smoke in between yard work and/or when taking a break from walking/hiking in which case I usually pick anything short of EL's, very well aged cigars or other 'special' smokes. Making these smokes my equivalent of a yard gar. Ergo... I read the post; ergo... I replied; ergo ...

wait a sec. Am I going in circles?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #23
brylee
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Steve
Trading: (2)
Cohiba Army (Served With Honor)
brylee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not breaking balls here, but I see these types of posts on here sometimes and wonder why reply in a "Yard GARS" thread? It's like going into the "Gin" thread solely for the purpose of saying "Yuck, I don't like Gin. If I'm going to have a drink it'll be Scotch!"
Well said!
brylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #24
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
There is a simple (and very obvious) reason I posted a reply in this thread even though I rarely smoke during yard work:

I AM A LOUDMOUTH and can't resist the urge to reply when I read posts

Why do I even read these topics you ask? It's a combination of my need for both entertainment and education.

Having said this I do however (sometimes) smoke in between yard work and/or when taking a break from walking/hiking in which case I usually pick anything short of EL's, very well aged cigars or other 'special' smokes. Making these smokes my equivalent of a yard gar. Ergo... I read the post; ergo... I replied; ergo ...

wait a sec. Am I going in circles?
No, I didn't ask why people read these threads who don't have "yard gars". I asked why bother to reply.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #25
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

There are only a few times when I have a yard project that allows me time to smoke a cigar. Washing the car, cleaning the pond and trimming the shrubs are all activities where I can smoke a cigar. My choice of a cigar is usually one that I enjoy a lot like an Illusione Rothchild or MK, or something that is new that I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but mainly it's going to be a short cigar.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #26
benchjockey
Sitting in the sun

First Name: Barry
Trading: (0)
Army
benchjockey is on a distinguished road

Vindicator by Oliva. A decent cheap smoke.
benchjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #27
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
No, I didn't ask why people read these threads who don't have "yard gars". I asked why bother to reply.
People make one or two posts that, even if you don't approve are still about the topic of yard gars, if they don't smoke them and they say that that's a viable answer. Calling them out and making a big deal out of it only compounds the issue that you are complaining about, a mini self-fulfilling prophecy as it were, then you have someone like me that just feels like he has to post the drivel I'm posting right now and around and around we go.

I'm sorry I forget, what were we talking about originally?

Oh yah, lighten up Francis
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #28
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

The only time I'll go with a "yard gar" is when I'm mowing the grass. While sitting on the mower why the hell not have one!?! It's a Gran Habano Vintage 2002 Churchill. CBID ~$33 for a bundle of 20 off freefall.
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #29
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
People make one or two posts that, even if you don't approve are still about the topic of yard gars, if they don't smoke them and they say that that's a viable answer. Calling them out and making a big deal out of it only compounds the issue that you are complaining about, a mini self-fulfilling prophecy as it were, then you have someone like me that just feels like he has to post the drivel I'm posting right now and around and around we go.

I'm sorry I forget, what were we talking about originally?

Oh yah, lighten up Francis
If I came across as calling people out I apologize to them. When I asked the question is wasn't to be snotty, it was to actually try and understand their POV. If a bunch of people are discussing basketball I truly don't understand the point of making a comment like "I don't like basketball at all." So I'm asking why people do that. If that's "making a big deal" out of something then you should see me when I'm actually fired up about a topic and my Irish comes out.

In retrospect I never would have brought the whole thing up if I hadn't woken up on the wrong side of the bed with a nasty sinus headache. Oh well, closing barn doors and such...

And with that said, anyone have any favorite yard 'gars?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #30
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I think we all just need to pick a cigar and light up and reflect on whet we have said here. Hell have a stiff drink or fire up the lawn mower if that makes it feel better! Have a good night all.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #31
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Depends on the type of work I'm doing outside. If it's something easy, like watering or raking leaves then it's cigar time. Tried to have a smoke the other day while pruning my magnolia tree, yeah, not happening there.

As for the smokes, I like the 5 Vegas A's, Don Lino Africa, or RP 92 seconds in the short perfect or petit corona size.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #32
azar
It is what it is!

First Name: Mack
Trading: (18)
azar is on a distinguished road

Dang it man didn't know this was a touchy subject other then that I wouldn't have asked ah yes I would have. Being new guy and now I see who gets fired up with a question! I wasn't really trying to stir a pot.
Mack
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #33
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

I used to smoke yard gars, my old favorite was La Aurora 107 robustos. Great little smokes, full of leather and earth. Anyway some time ago I just kind of stopped having a cigar when working around the house. Anymore I prefer to hurry through my chores then sit down for a good smoke. To each his own of course.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #34
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Usually a 5 Vegas for me. But I will grab a loose single of whatever. I save my high end stuff for actual relaxation and socializing.

And as to the other discussion here I think sometimes I am guilty of this and it is usually to poke a friend with a stick in a teasing manner. You can't really judge tone or context on internet forums. Some guys can take it for what it is and some guys get all sorts of bent out of shape. I am here to talk about something we all have in common and to make friends. If I ever offend anyone with a post it would be unintentional.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #35
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Dont sweat it Mack. Some people just sound stirred up when they speak. Keep in mind also that type doesnt carry tone or conversational inflection. Besides if they are stirred up who cares the rest of us are enjoying the conversation.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #36
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

I don't have much of a yard, am I allowed to post about stoop 'gars?
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #37
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Frankly, at 55, I feel old and wise enough to know to smoke my best cigars first and never keep anything in my humidor other than what I consider my best cigars.
In this manner, even while doing yard work, I smoke my best cigars.
Life is way too short to do anything less if one can.
+1

After the Winter from Hell, I am so looking forward to getting outside, and making sure my wife is doing a good job pulling weeds. No, wait, scratch that.

After umpteen visits by the Polar Vortex (thanks derrek), I can't wait to mow the 'back forty' while enjoying a fine cigar, and listening to some good tunes on the headphones. Most relaxing.
shade is offline   Reply With Quote