Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice
Default SAMs Club humidor

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case your local Sams Club is carrying these as I got excited last night when I saw it but was quickly let down and wanted to make sure if you saw them that you inspected them closely before dropping any coin on it.
Sams Club has a great looking humidor/wine cabinet for $250. The top portion is a small humidor that looks to be meant for singles that surprisingly seems to have a great seal and the bottom portion was meant to be where you would store boxes and wine. That's where the unfortunate part comes in. The door on the lower portion could never seal or dream of holding humidity. I literally could put my face 4 inches from the door and see through the top of the door. To put it into perspective I could probably stack two quarters on top of each other and slide them through the gap. It's a shame because it was a nice piece but unless you only wanted to use the bottom for wine and the top for may 35 or so sticks it would be great.
Just found a pic on Google images that oddly enough was from the old place. http://media.photobucket.com/image/s...5/IMAG0629.jpg
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SAMs Club humidor

Such a shame..

Totally unrelated, but maybe not. Kind of reminds me of my neighborhood gas station, to my surprise they recently had a display humidor on their counter with some good cigars (Partagas, Punch, AF's, Drew Estates). While looking at it, I discovered that there was easily a 1-2mm gap around the edge of the door. And of course, not that it matters anyway, no humidification unit. I asked the shop owner if he know that cigars needed to be humidified, he said that the humidor does all that on its own and removes the need for humidification...

Talk about a face palm..
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Is there any reason a few dollars of weather strip couldn't seal the door? If someone really liked it it would be worth a shot IMO.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
dwoodward

HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Is there any reason a few dollars of weather strip couldn't seal the door? If someone really liked it it would be worth a shot IMO.
The problem is that 99% of people buy a humidor to use it and never think of having to repair it right away. The whole idea of brand new is engraved in people's heads as having no problems.

Most seasoned cigar smokers know better tho lol.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
I thought about that too but with the gap this thing had I'm not sure if you would ever get it to seal right or get the door to close properly one you did with the amount that would be needed to seal the gaps. Such a shame as had it had a decent seal, for $250 I would have rolled one on out of their last night as I could use some overflow box storage and we have been looking for a decent wine rack so I could have killed two birds with one stone without beating up my budget.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Such a shame..

Totally unrelated, but maybe not. Kind of reminds me of my neighborhood gas station, to my surprise they recently had a display humidor on their counter with some good cigars (Partagas, Punch, AF's, Drew Estates). While looking at it, I discovered that there was easily a 1-2mm gap around the edge of the door. And of course, not that it matters anyway, no humidification unit. I asked the shop owner if he know that cigars needed to be humidified, he said that the humidor does all that on its own and removes the need for humidification...

Talk about a face palm..
I was at a the Maxwell House with my girlfriend and her family, and ran into the same problem at the gift shop there. No humidification unit, and the hygrometer read 32%. Apparently, "I know nothing about cigars, I am just some dumb kid" and "Need to get away from the humidor before I break it" I am sure the Flor De Olivias (8.00 a pop), and the Acid C-Notes (6.00 a pop) are really fragile..

P.S. Not joking about getting called dumb here either. Some foreigner was working at the counter.

Oh, and I really like the look of that wine cooler. It would go super nice right next to my desk... Ughhh
Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Maybe it's just that one at your store the door maybe off thru poor QC?
Prolly a product of red china, but heck if it's a large as it looks and for $250 who is going to complain about installing $10 worth of weather seal when you have just saved $300-$400??

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
MrCigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case your local Sams Club is carrying these as I got excited last night when I saw it but was quickly let down and wanted to make sure if you saw them that you inspected them closely before dropping any coin on it.
Sams Club has a great looking humidor/wine cabinet for $250. The top portion is a small humidor that looks to be meant for singles that surprisingly seems to have a great seal and the bottom portion was meant to be where you would store boxes and wine. That's where the unfortunate part comes in. The door on the lower portion could never seal or dream of holding humidity. I literally could put my face 4 inches from the door and see through the top of the door. To put it into perspective I could probably stack two quarters on top of each other and slide them through the gap. It's a shame because it was a nice piece but unless you only wanted to use the bottom for wine and the top for may 35 or so sticks it would be great.
Just found a pic on Google images that oddly enough was from the old place. http://media.photobucket.com/image/s...5/IMAG0629.jpg
I saw this humidor/wine cabinet at Sams a few weeks ago, priced at $299. It looked great & I wanted to buy it, but not for $299. I decided to wait for the price cut. Friday my Wife & I go to Sams & they have cut the price to $199. I have a great Wife, because she says "I'll buy you this for Valentines day". I'm in. I et it home & take it out of the box & it is perfect.
This is a great humidor. Someone here posted that the humidor on top only holds 35 cigars. Wrong. I have at least 125 Cigars in the top part of the humidor. As for the bottom part of the humidor, there is a small gap at the top of the door, but I have a smaller humidor on the shelf so this gap doesn't matter to me. I will use some foam weather stripping to fill this gap. No big deal. This is a great value for $199. The quality of this piece is outstanding & is well worth $199.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Such a shame..

Talk about a face palm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCigar View Post
I saw this humidor/wine cabinet at Sams a few weeks ago, priced at $299. It looked great & I wanted to buy it, but not for $299. I decided to wait for the price cut. Friday my Wife & I go to Sams & they have cut the price to $199. I have a great Wife, because she says "I'll buy you this for Valentines day". I'm in. I et it home & take it out of the box & it is perfect.
This is a great humidor. Someone here posted that the humidor on top only holds 35 cigars. Wrong. I have at least 125 Cigars in the top part of the humidor. As for the bottom part of the humidor, there is a small gap at the top of the door, but I have a smaller humidor on the shelf so this gap doesn't matter to me. I will use some foam weather stripping to fill this gap. No big deal. This is a great value for $199. The quality of this piece is outstanding & is well worth $199.

Welcome. Please go introduce yourself in the new inmate forum.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
dwoodward

HUpmann

Saw one of these in person last night, my buddy called me over to check out his new humidor, was surprised to see it was this exact one. Has a top compartment and a bottom compartment for holding wine and boxes of cigars. The top compartment has no seal, the flashlight test was pretty definitive, has a small gap encompassing the entire lid. However, it could probably be fixed with silicone / weather sealing.

The bottom compartment on the other hand has a 2-3mm gap all the way around, you can actually look thru the gap on one side and see the wall thru the gap on the other side. Really really poor handwork on these things. Could probably be fixed with weather sealing... Maybe.

Luckily my buddy is only going to use the top part for smokes, the bottom will be a shelf for liquor and wines.

I would not recommend these to anyone on these boards. For my buddy its a great deal, hes always wanted a liquor cabinet for his wine and liquors. And the top part humidor is just an awesome extra in his eyes. I'll be over at his place this weekend helping him get the whole top lid all sealed up. I might post pics of the process if I remember.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
JKMaxInc

My name is Rob, and I am the COO at JKMax which makes the Heritage Series Humidor Line.

First off I would like to apologize for any problems you have had with our product. I would like to assure you that quality is of the utmost importance to us as is customer satisfaction.

A little background. Some of you may have known that Sams sold humidors made by IDC back around 2004. IDC went into lighting and we filled the void. The humidors are made by the same factory that made IDC humidors. The factory has over 30 years experience in making humidors. This was a new product and although every effort was made to ensure quality there will be always be problems with products that are mass produced.

About the Humidor Wine Rack. The top section was the only section that was intended to be a true humidor. It should have a tight seal to hold the humidity steady in the 70 range. The bottom section was meant mainly for wine storage or cigar storage if still in sealed boxes from the manufacturer. We should have explained this better, and for that I apologize.

I agree with gentleman who said that people don't want a product that needs to be fixed, but several of our customers have found a way to seal the bottom section, with supplies from their local hardware stores.

Again I want to apologize, and if there is anything I can do please email returns@jkmaxproducts.com and put RA-3025 Cigar Asylum in the title and the email will be forwarded to my account. I will respond as soon as possible and will do everything in my power to keep our customers happy with their purchases. Thank you for your time...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I don't want to help a manufacturer of humidors that likely builds his product in China to explain his product, but it
should be clear to rational people that just because something is big enough to hold boxes of cigars, that doesn't mean
it is a humidor. The lower portions of these combos are designed to hold glassware and wine related clutter. I never
saw one that sealed and people should not expect them to. They keep dust and eyeballs off your stuff while the top
part serves as a humidor. Like I said, I don't want to defend the vendor or the manufacturer, I think these types of
products pale in comparison to the products made by the craftsmen on our own cigar forum, but you get a lot of this
kind of crap, people comparing apples and oranges when it's not appropriate.

All that said, getting a great seal from even the top portion of these boxes is unlikely. Again, we have 3-4 humidor
BUILDERS on this forum that could use the work if you want a HUMIDOR. If you want a polished chinese box, that
is also your decision. Looks are part of the appeal of a humidor right? I just have never recommended buying these
things to anyone.
Besides, just look at MrCigar, he took a perfectly good username and used it to shill for this product, so it HAS to be
great. In fact it was so important to him that he only had time to post that shill reply in a two week period. I am sure he
is resting until he can go into another thread and sell humidity beads made out of sand.

Last edited by OLS; 02-27-2012 at 12:34 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Props to Rob for coming in here and facing a potentially hostile crowd; it takes guts.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Besides, just look at MrCigar, he took a perfectly good username and used it to shill for this product, so it HAS to be
great. In fact it was so important to him that he only had time to post that shill reply in a two week period. I am sure he
is resting until he can go into another thread and sell humidity beads made out of sand.
This made me pee my pants a little
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
JKMaxInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I want to assure you that MrCigar is not affiliated with JKMax. My reasoning is the top humidor can hold 100 cigars according to specs, not 125. Not saying this is indisputable proof, but we have great respect for enthusiasts and their forums, and to try to manipulate any forum would be, in my opinion, unethical.

We simply would like to hear opinions about our humidors. Good or Bad. Also we want our customers to know that their opinions matter to us, and their satisfaction with our products is very important to us.

Also we do not make humidity beads made out of sand, although I will have our R&D team look into it.

Thank you again for your time...
Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Send me one. I will give a non-bias review.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCigar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMaxInc View Post
I want to assure you that MrCigar is not affiliated with JKMax. My reasoning is the top humidor can hold 100 cigars according to specs, not 125. Not saying this is indisputable proof, but we have great respect for enthusiasts and their forums, and to try to manipulate any forum would be, in my opinion, unethical.

We simply would like to hear opinions about our humidors. Good or Bad. Also we want our customers to know that their opinions matter to us, and their satisfaction with our products is very important to us.

Also we do not make humidity beads made out of sand, although I will have our R&D team look into it.

Thank you again for your time...
Same IP address?
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Same IP address?

What would lead you to suspect that?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
JKMaxInc

For those curious, I will allow anyone to check my IP address both at home and the office. You can PM me if desired. I cannot provide for MrCigar obviously but possibly the admins can?

I can understand skepticism, but again I will assure you this is simply not the case. Not all businesses are out to scam their customers.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Props to Rob for coming in here and facing a potentially hostile crowd; it takes guts.
+1 on this. Not in the market for a(nother) humidor at the moment, but seriously....mad props to Rob. I can think of one humidor artisan with way less cojones. Personal email? Well done.