Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice
Default Critters that kill just to kill

Over the week end my wife's two pet alpaca's were killed by what I now think was a pack of feral dog's. In two years here at the ranch nothing has bothered them, Not coyote's, not the lions ... Nothing. over the week end I found them both dead at the bottom of the south pasture. I've been riding and looking ever since but the grazing allotment here is 40,000 Acres so there's a lot of ground to cover ... If I find them they are Dead Meat.
It's a shame that two docile and gentle critters like Royal and Zen had to die that way just for the sake of being killed.
My Wife is very, VERY upset.
Vengeance is MINE sayeth the Rancher.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Critters that kill just to kill

Hope you find em' bro and put a smack down on them
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Destroy those killers.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

I have cats that kill just to kill............but that falls into the fly, mouse, and lizard category. For the dogs, traps would be the easiest way to get them.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you catch 'em Jeff.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear it and hope you find them.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Real sorry to hear about the alpacas. Nicest critters, those. Expensive too.
I had a dog that was the most docile pet with kids & people & cats, everything. But if he saw a deer or goat or other hoofed critter he turned pure hunter. I imagine it's a deep instinct. He only killed wild deer as far as I ever knew. I've hunted down wild dogs before. There should be lots of sign. Trails, scat, prints, they usually eat every part of the carcasses, so you don't find that unless it's recent. You might want to put up a game cam.
40,000 acres! Oh my aching back(side)!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you catch them dogs. Scary to know that they could turn on a human
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear about yalls Alpaca's Jeff. They are beautiful and gentle animals. thats one of the nice things about visiting my folks, drinking coffee and watching then alpacas in the morning.

I hope you find the killers and get your justice brother
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear. Hope you find the killers and put them down!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

So sorry Jeff. Alpacas are very docile - a friend has a large alpaca operation. Killing them and leaving them sounds like dogs, but keep an eye out as you roam in case it is something else. Killing without eating sounds way too much like dogs raised for fighting to me. Shudder.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Heavy_d
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derek
Trading: (1)
Heavy_d will become famous soon enough

Sorry about the Alpacas Jeff. Hope you find the dogs, they can do a lot of damage. We had a pack of ferals roaming a small town near me, killed some deer, domestic pets and even attacked one person if I'm not mistaken before they got put down.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

My father in law has alpacas too and had the same issue. Three dogs who lived at another house a mile or so away kept getting out and attacking his animals, especially the alpacas. It took him putting some buck shot into one dog's backside for the beast's owners to finally fix their fence.

Sorry for your loss and I hope you get those mangy mutts.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Well it's been interesting to say the least.... I've found what looks like activity of a lion that lives out in these parts ... But it didn't look like a lion kill to me.
I've also had it confirmed that a pack of about 14 wolves was sighted 20 miles from here last week by four separate people.
I did encounter a pack of large feral dogs about 10 miles out from here gnawing on a dead calf ... Managed to whack two of them with my 45-70 before they beat feet into the trees ....
Vengeance is Mine ... With more Vengeance to come.
This aint about money ... Those alpaca's were like babies to my wife.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

get it brother
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
Well it's been interesting to say the least.... I've found what looks like activity of a lion that lives out in these parts ... But it didn't look like a lion kill to me.
I've also had it confirmed that a pack of about 14 wolves was sighted 20 miles from here last week by four separate people.
I did encounter a pack of large feral dogs about 10 miles out from here gnawing on a dead calf ... Managed to whack two of them with my 45-70 before they beat feet into the trees ....
Vengeance is Mine ... With more Vengeance to come.
This aint about money ... Those alpaca's were like babies to my wife.
I wouldn't think the lion would kill both alpacas, let alone kill them just for the heck of it. Wolves might do it. Were the alpacas eaten at all?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Good shooting to get two of them. 45-70? Saddle gun? Interesting choice, what kind?
I used a 12ga. One shot I must have peppered them and they never came around again.
Dogs and prob'ly wolves seem to go for a neck break, grab & shake. There are some mt. lion attacks on yootoob that show them going for a strangle on the throat. I would bet they leave claw marks every time. Not sure that would show up on a winter coat alpaca.
Is there a chance that someones dog got out and did this?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8zeros View Post
Good shooting to get two of them. 45-70? Saddle gun? Interesting choice, what kind?
I used a 12ga. One shot I must have peppered them and they never came around again.
Dogs and prob'ly wolves seem to go for a neck break, grab & shake. There are some mt. lion attacks on yootoob that show them going for a strangle on the throat. I would bet they leave claw marks every time. Not sure that would show up on a winter coat alpaca.
Is there a chance that someones dog got out and did this?
Marlin 1895, Original 1972 model with Ballard Barrel, 405gr. Hard cast Buffalo Bullet ... Over kill I know, Usually I carry the 30-30 But I just felt like taking the Big Bore for a spin.

They were Neck grabbed for sure, One was eaten on a little by the coyote's that were there but one was un touched, but they were both defiantly killed by the neck.
When I shot the first dog the others just looked up like WTF was that ? ... Dumb! .. So I shot a second one and the rest figured it out at that point.
Defiantly at least 2nd generation Feral dogs.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #19
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Vengeance is yours.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #20
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Seems odd for feral dogs to kill just for the sake of killing. I would be more concerned about someones hunting dogs getting loose. They will kill not to kill but thinking they are holding the prey for their master to show up. Especially if they have been trained to chase javelina or wild pigs. Either way it stinks and I wish you good hunting.