Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Padron 1964 Anniversary, SI-15 Natural (Smoke Inn 15th Anniversary)

Size: 6×60

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sungrown

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium/Full

Price: 15 for $277.50; 5 for $92.50

Grade: 9.4

Smoke Inn Cigars is celebrating their 15th Anniversary with three limited edition releases. Their first release was the Tatauaje Anarchy, which was largely well received. Their second released is a Natural and Maduro version of the Padron 1964 Anniversary cigar. The blend is the exact same, but is in a new size – a large 6×60. You can purchase the cigars by visiting this link.

Here is some information on the cigar from Smoke Inn’s website.
In commemoration of our 15th Anniversary this year, we commissioned the Padron Family to make a special size exclusively for our stores. Jorge Padron’s face lit up when we told him our idea of a 6×60 Anniversary Cigar. What’s better than a Padron Anniversary Cigar, A BIGGER Padron Anniversary Cigar! This monster stick bellows smoke like a chimney. The sheer amount of tobacco used in this cigar creates a bold experience differing from the other vitolas in this line. All tobacco used in this limited production series is aged for four years, creating a smooth and complex flavor. There was less than 500 boxes produced of this limited edition, so don’t waste a second and get a part of cigar history today!
I was very excited about firing up this cigar, and went for the Natural first. We’ll have our review of the Maduro soon.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The Smoke Inn edition of the Padron Anniversary cigar is an interesting cigar to hold. Its size is at first off putting, but after spending some time with, it bears some excellent characteristics. The wrapper is a chocolate brown with a double cap. It is full of spidery, ghost-like veins, and is smooth to the touch from cap to foot. The cigar is well packed with no soft spots, but it is not as heavy as I’d expect with the size. The foot is well formed but a bit loose, and the overall appearance is rustic, weathered, and worn. The aroma carries notes of barnyard and attic wood at the foot, a sweet cap, and cocoa powder and mild cedar along the wrapper. The draw is open, even loose, and the flavor is clean with a mild spice and cinnamon.

Burn, 1.9:
The Padron SI-15 displays a near flawless construction with an excellent burn that emits copious amounts of smoke, despite the difficulty of drawing the larger ring gauge. The ash holds well and is evenly colored without any flaking or misdirection. The burn maintains itself even during long breaks between puffs.

Flavor, 3.0:
At first light, it is apparent to me that I am not totally comfortable with the 60 ring gauge. On first light, the Anniversary is smooth with notes of cedar and cocoa. In the second third, the flavor bares a strong Nicaraguan flare with spice in the back of the throat and a strong cedary goodness. The body and the flavor pick up in the middle third. Into the final third, the balance and flavor of the first third returns, creating an excellent, clean, and smooth finish. The melded notes are cedar, a mild wood, mild to medium spice, and a creamy cocoa that is incredible. My mouth watered throughout this smoke and I had a hard time putting it down between puffs. The large ring gauge causes the profile to be very well balanced and smooth, which may be the strongest feature of this premium cigar.

Overall, 2.8:
This is an excellent cigar! The trade off for the increased ring gauge seems to be a superb balance and voluminous smoke production – and this is a trade off I’m happy to make most days. Without question this is out of my comfort zone in two areas – size and price. At $18, this is not something I’d keep many around of, but I have no hesitation recommending this cigar either – it’s just not one that I would pull out just any old evening. The excellent construction and burn, and wonderful flavor profile, make this the best cigar I’ve had through the first few months of 2011.

(Total: 9.4)
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Re: Padron 1964 Anniversary, SI-15 Natural (Smoke Inn 15th Anniversary

Nice review Matt I had the maduro at the release event friday, you're spot on about the trade off between the size and balance and smoke production.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another great review Matthew!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough

Excellent review. I am certain these are superb because I have yet to meet a PAN/PAM that I haven't loved!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedoggle View Post
Excellent review. I am certain these are superb because I have yet to meet a PAN/PAM that I haven't loved!
I just couldn't believe how smooth the larger gauge made this cigar - the flavors were so good I had to slow myself b/w puffs. The 60 gauge also knocked a bit of the strength out of it.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
thecatch83

Although plagued by reluctance due in large part to the ominous vitola, every review of these has been remarkable.........I just might purchase a fiver for spite!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Great review, thanks for sharing.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Great review Matt.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
shadow king
Fresh outta Ad Seg

Quintero
shadow king is on a distinguished road

Awesome review. I have been eyeballing these ever since I got the email about them. Can you post a picture of the box/presentation? They changed their original picture on the website. I'm just curious if they are in a classic Padron box or like the photo you have in your first post.
shadow king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow king View Post
Awesome review. I have been eyeballing these ever since I got the email about them. Can you post a picture of the box/presentation? They changed their original picture on the website. I'm just curious if they are in a classic Padron box or like the photo you have in your first post.
Hey Matt - they sent out boxes of 2 to reviewers ahead of the release - one Natural, one Maddie. It was a double coffin that was used for a dinner or something hosted by the Padron's and Smoke Inn. The regular release box will not be anything like this, and I don't think you'll be able to mix them either. Just 5 packs or whatever of each wrapper.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
OHRD

I do have a box of the Natural on the way though, so I'll post of a pic of it when it arrives.