Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default Hunting thread

Thought I'd start a hunting thread to talk about stories, what you hunt, what part of the world you hunt, where you would like to hunt, gear ect ect.

I started out hunting back in 07 when my gf at the time introduced me to it. Her dad and little brother were deer hunters and they would take me out, taught me how to track, field dress and butcher a deer as well as how to shoot a gun. After we went different directions I gave it up as my parents are anti guns and I was in and out of their house quite a bit.

Now that I'm out on my own for good this time I decided to pick it back up. Didn't do any deer this season but did quite a bit of duck and goose and absolutely loved it. I hate to say.. but I think it's more fun then deer.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
Veatorious will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hunting thread

What do I hunt--currently Mulley's, Elk, Promghorn, Preditors, Waterfowl, and Upland birds. I currently hunt Nevada. Previosuly Washington State and Utah. Looking forward to a Sitka Alaska Blacktail hunt, Wyoming Proghorn hunt, and a Idaho Elk/Wolf hunt.

I am fortunate to have experienced some amazing hunts in my young life, and looking forward to introducing my 5 year old boy to a full hunt this coming season. He has been on some scouting trips, but not an actual hunt yet. Not sure his legs are ready for the high country, but we will see. Got to start them young.... Just like my dad did.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veatorious View Post
What do I hunt--currently Mulley's, Elk, Promghorn, Preditors, Waterfowl, and Upland birds. I currently hunt Nevada. Previosuly Washington State and Utah. Looking forward to a Sitka Alaska Blacktail hunt, Wyoming Proghorn hunt, and a Idaho Elk/Wolf hunt.

I am fortunate to have experienced some amazing hunts in my young life, and looking forward to introducing my 5 year old boy to a full hunt this coming season. He has been on some scouting trips, but not an actual hunt yet. Not sure his legs are ready for the high country, but we will see. Got to start them young.... Just like my dad did.
Nice! I'm not sure if the elk wasn't cured correctly or if it was way over cooked but it was extremely gamey which sucks cause I really want to do some true big game hunting. I'd love to do some trips out west and do some "real" hunting. The hunting we have in MI... not sure I would considering that hunting. Sitting in a blind waiting for them to come to you; I'd much rather go out find the game, stalk and wait/get the right shot.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Mostly upland fowl, sometimes deer. Mule deer around here. Chuker when I hunt locally and I go up to South Dakota for pheasant. This year I took an all black pheasant, I had it mounted it was the first animal I ever had mounted. Kind of a big deal for me I guess.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

My father in-law started me hunting years ago. Deer hunting mainly. We live on 16 acres, outside of city limits with crop land behind us so deer hunting is pretty decent. There is 40 acres next to us and I think I'll be able to hunt on next year. I'm a lazy hunter so being able to go out the door, walk 50 yards and hunt is perfect for me.
I wish I had the patience for Turkey or archery, but I don't seem too. Which is kinda strange, because I love shooting my bow. It may be that the wife complains enough when I go deer hunting every year, that I don't want to add anymore to the fire.
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
Nice! I'm not sure if the elk wasn't cured correctly or if it was way over cooked but it was extremely gamey which sucks cause I really want to do some true big game hunting. I'd love to do some trips out west and do some "real" hunting. The hunting we have in MI... not sure I would considering that hunting. Sitting in a blind waiting for them to come to you; I'd much rather go out find the game, stalk and wait/get the right shot.
That's a shame about the Elk meat, truly one of the best game meats. Some older bulls can be a little less pleasing but still better than deer IMO. (I turn everything but the tenderloins and back straps into sausage or pepperoni sticks when I shoot a buck). In regards to hunting in blinds or stands, not my gig either. I did a Whitetail hunt in WA and I couldn't handle the waiting game. I like to cover some country. (Spot and stalk). Out here in the west it isn't uncommon to shoot over 500 yards. I have a couple of buddies that smack bucks/bulls at 700+ yards... Not in my comfort zone, but sometimes the situation doesn't allow for a shorter shot. If you ever want to put in for a non resident tag in NV hit me up, as I can provide some insight.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhisenand View Post
Mostly upland fowl, sometimes deer. Mule deer around here. Chuker when I hunt locally and I go up to South Dakota for pheasant. This year I took an all black pheasant, I had it mounted it was the first animal I ever had mounted. Kind of a big deal for me I guess.
Damn crow hunters, trying to pass them off as pheasants.

Last edited by Veatorious; 01-20-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Veatorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Need I say more ...
Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I hunt deer and turkey in my home state in Kansas.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veatorious View Post
Damn crow hunters, trying to pass them off as pheasants.
What da? Are you saying I wasted $200 mounting a crow! Say it ain't so Ryan!

Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhisenand View Post
What da? Are you saying I wasted $200 mounting a crow! Say it ain't so Ryan!

She’s a beaut
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Hey guys, just an fyi, this is already in action over on the outdoorsmen thread.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote